GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Suspension Changes Official

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 08:18 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm...i think you might want to read this

http://www.kinetic.au.com/rfs.html

Old 09-19-03, 06:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tigmd99
I believe the Kinetic suspension is similar to the Land Rover Discovery's ACE system. It affects the ANTI-ROLL BAR (aka stabilizer bars), not shocks. This type of suspension is seen in the Disco, Audi A8, and BMW 7 series.

Thus, Kinetic is nothing like XREAS on 4runner. XREAS involves crosslinking shocks (in an X-fashion).

Hope this helps.
I don't agree. The following link describes the type of Kinetic Suspension I believe will be used in the GX. If you look back on their web site, this type is the only one that can allow ride height adjustment.

http://www.kinetic.au.com/x.html

The X is Kinetic's most sophisticated and complex system providing a very high degree of functionary and performance. The operation of the X remains fundamentally passive, however the system incorporates a pump, sensors and controller to ensure system set-up remains correct and to allow ride height adjustment and control. The X replaces the conventional dampers, roll bars and support springs. It incorporates a simple double acting cylinder at each wheel, a central hydraulic Load Distribution Unit [LDU] and accumulators at the wheel and LDU positions all interconnected as shown on the diagram. The interconnection provides extremely high levels of roll stiffness while passively maintaining equally low levels of single wheel and articulation stiffness. It also allows pitch coupling. The interconnection also provides the opportunity to incorporate roll and pitch damping independently of wheel/body damping.

Although the X incorporates some electronics it is still a passive system. Power consumption for set-up control is minimal and response times for dynamic inputs remain instantaneous.
Old 09-21-03, 05:42 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

This is from Lexus:

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension

Once again, Lexus proves that it's possible to have it all. The GX's available Kinetic Dynamic Sport Suspension (KDSS) [2] means you don't have to sacrifice a smooth on-road ride for superior off-road handling. Front and rear cylinders, linked hydraulically via a pressure-sensing valve, adjust the GX's stabilizer bars to current road conditions. On the road, that means a smoother ride and reduced body roll when cornering. Off-road benefits include increased wheel articulation and improved traction.

It mentions nothing about shocks. The system controls the anti-roll bars.

The link: http://www.kinetic.au.com/rfs.html mentions nothing about shocks either.
Old 09-21-03, 02:57 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

This is from Lexus:

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension

Once again, Lexus proves that it's possible to have it all. The GX's available Kinetic Dynamic Sport Suspension (KDSS) [2] means you don't have to sacrifice a smooth on-road ride for superior off-road handling. Front and rear cylinders, linked hydraulically via a pressure-sensing valve, adjust the GX's stabilizer bars to current road conditions. On the road, that means a smoother ride and reduced body roll when cornering. Off-road benefits include increased wheel articulation and improved traction.

It mentions nothing about shocks. The system controls the anti-roll bars.

The link: http://www.kinetic.au.com/rfs.html mentions nothing about shocks either.
I think we all agree Kinetic Suspension can offer more than what you suggest, but that possibly the flavor of Kinetic Lexus is implementing won't affect shocks, and suspension. Just stabilizer bars (you indicated that in the last two posts).

And what you have posted is marketing stuff only. But, if I were hanging my hat on it, it is labeled "...Suspension" in the title, and it does indicate a smoother ride. Your guess is as good as mine but I think it will be a bit more involved than just leveraging the stabilizers.
Old 09-25-03, 06:46 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Yup, i am right about the Kinetic suspension...this is from Lexus:

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)

The optional KDSS employs hydraulic controls for the front and rear stabilizer bars in order to improve on-road handling and enhance off-road capability.

The system uses hydraulic cylinders acting on each stabilizer bar that are linked by a pressure-sensing valve. During cornering, when both front and rear cylinders are compressed, no fluid is flowing in the system and the stabilizer bars work conventionally to reduce body roll.

However, when an uneven surface is encountered, one compressed cylinder causes fluid to flow between the front and rear cylinders, allowing the stabilizer bars to move freely. This increases wheel articulation and travel as well as helping to equalize wheel loading.

By allowing the stabilizer bars to disengage in certain situations, the stiffness of the stabilizers can be notably increased, thereby reducing body roll and improving handling without negatively effecting ride comfort or off-road performance.

As stated above, KDSS has nothing to do with shocks...it is similar to the ACE system in Land Rover Discovery. Of course, it is nothing like the 4runner's XREAS system.
Hope this clears up some confusion.

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-26-03 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 09:21 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, i am right about the Kinetic suspension...this is from Lexus:

Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)

The optional KDSS employs hydraulic controls for the front and rear stabilizer bars in order to improve on-road handling and enhance off-road capability.

The system uses hydraulic cylinders acting on each stabilizer bar that are linked by a pressure-sensing valve. During cornering, when both front and rear cylinders are compressed, no fluid is flowing in the system and the stabilizer bars work conventionally to reduce body roll.

However, when an uneven surface is encountered, one compressed cylinder causes fluid to flow between the front and rear cylinders, allowing the stabilizer bars to move freely. This increases wheel articulation and travel as well as helping to equalize wheel loading.

By allowing the stabilizer bars to disengage in certain situations, the stiffness of the stabilizers can be notably increased, thereby reducing body roll and improving handling without negatively effecting ride comfort or off-road performance.

As stated above, KDSS has nothing to do with shocks...it is similar to the ACE system in Land Rover Discovery. Of course, it is nothing like the 4runner's XREAS system.
Hope this clears up some confusion.
I am curious where I can read this, is it new on the Lexus Site?

If you read about the X Kinetic suspension system it says it replaces support springs. Do you believe that they will not be using the X Kinetic suspension but instead another flavor of Kinetic?

One of Kinetics functions is to handle what is described above in your post, I don't disagree with that. But Kinetic suspension does offer more. If you look at their web site you'll see there are three variations on of which is the X System.

Last edited by looknow12; 09-26-03 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 01:42 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Could it be that Lexus uses their own "Kinetic" suspension???

And isn't Adaptive Suspension (electronic shocks) standard on ALL GX models??? If so, then the shocks canNOT be changed, right?? So, you're left with springs. But isn't the rear springs on the GX bladder system?? So, you can't change that, right?? So, you're left with the front suspension springs...

So, i doubt Lexus will modify the suspension (shocks and springs) at all. Modifying the anti-roll bars is the easiest way.
Old 09-26-03, 01:52 PM
modelaford
Driver

Talking

Shocks are not electronic, they are air shocks, it also has rear springs, and last but not least Airbags between the body and the diff housing. I think the Kenitic suspention will be an add on hydraulic cylinder system like has been previously mentioned. I also think the Kenitic will be able to be bought along with all the brackets to fit the earlier ones.
Old 09-26-03, 03:05 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Actually, they are gas shocks but are electronically controlled....

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-26-03 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:21 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Gas shocks???????????????????? I have had 2 GX's and they have airlines running to them controlled by an on board aircommpressor controlled by the computer. You don't even own one as per your sig. Has anyone else been under their vehical and looked it over????

Last edited by modelaford; 09-26-03 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:54 PM
tigmd99
Racer

modelaford, man, what's up with your attitude??

What do you think is in the shocks?? The air that you are breathing right now??? (the answer is NO)

All shocks are GAS-charged/pressurized/filled (at least the modern ones). Only a few shocks are hydraulic (such as those in RAV4). Nitrogen gas or a mixture of it.

The computer electronically varies the VALVING in each of the shocks according to mode (Sport vs. Comfort). The "air compressor" you talk about is likely for the rear airbags, NOT for the shocks. Why would the shocks need the air compressor????? The shocks do NOT change height, nor are they responsible for height control. The GX canNOT change height in the front! It can ONLY do so in the rear BECAUSE of the airbag system (which requires the air compressor!).

The rear spring on the GX has airbags which allows it to change rear height. Thus, it is an airbag system. (I assume EVERYONE knew that a SPRING must exist.)

BTW, i do know something about Toyota and Lexus SUVs....

Thai.

P.S.: Feel free to visit my forum anytime for any questions on your GX.

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-26-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 04:55 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohh ohh heres where i chime in with a picture
Old 09-26-03, 05:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Are you sure that's a pressure hose or electronic wires in it??

From Lexus:

The proven AVS system enhances ride quality by continuously changing each wheel's shock absorber DAMPING RATE in response to road surface conditions, vehicle speed, driver steering and braking inputs, and even vertical vehicle movement.

AVS also helps improve road feel, accomplishing this feat by temporarily increasing shock absorber stiffness in transitional maneuvers. In addition, AVS provides anti-dive and anti-squat control.

The on-road ride quality that rivals luxury sedans comes in large part from the Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), a semi-active shock absorber control system. Using sensors to "read" information about the road surface, steering input, braking and acceleration, AVS continuously adjusts the shock absorbers within a range of 64 settings, reacting as quickly as 2.5 milliseconds. For rough surfaces, AVS will select from among "soft" settings. While negotiating a curve, AVS will choose a stiffer setting. In addition, the driver can select a range of adjustments with a dashboard switch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-26-03 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 06:45 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Dampening rate can be controlled in a thousand different ways (ask any mtn biker about his/her suspension setup). The easiest method is to electronically control a needle valve's opening which translates into a modified suspension rate. The air hose is for the air bladders which are used to stabilize the vehicle when under load (i.e. towing). Ever see a red-neck pulling their b-***-boat with their truck and the rear of the truck hangs?

As for the kinetic suspension, I am willing to bet a days ride with Thai's M3 that it is a modified form of one of Kinetic's suspensions.
Old 09-26-03, 06:52 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Tetra...i agree...but what you're talking about is the rear suspension. The front suspension does not do much "auto-leveling". Remember, the GX does NOT have this feature...the LX does.

Like i said, the air compressor is for the rear suspension which has the air bladders.

Sure, a ride in my M3 is no problem..........if you're right.

Quick Reply: Lexus Suspension Changes Official