GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX - Need help diagnosing stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 08:11 AM
Puddy
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 GX - Need help diagnosing stiff steering

Hi all:

I have a 2004 GX470 with 111k miles which I bought last year at 109k miles. I am the second owner, the truck has a full dealer service history up to and including the 100k service and I don't think the previous owner ever left the pavement. With that background I could use some help diagnosing a steering issue. Basically, my steering feels stiff and requires more effort than it should throughout the entire range. I've been tinkering with cars for a while but I'm relatively new to Toyota/Lexus so I could use some advice from people who are familiar with the 120 platform before I start throwing parts at the problem. Some additional observations and things I've done so far:
  • Basic symptoms: The steering is stiffer than it should be, but obviously still receiving some power assist. The truck is driveable, but very slow parking maneuvers are a bit of workout. The stiffness is very linear in that there's no "notchiness" where steering effort increases and then goes back to normal. When sitting still, steering effort is the same at idle and if I rev the engine to ~2000rpm. At road speeds, the steering still feels a bit stiff, but it's hard to say. No wandering and no issues making slight corrections or changing lanes.
  • Fluid: It was full, but very dark and smelled slightly burnt. If I had to guess, I'd say it was very dirty/slightly burnt ATF (vs. PS fluid) but I'm not positive. I drained and refilled with ATF and bled the system with no effect. I will say the new fluid is already looking dirty, but I have no idea if the system was ever serviced before.
  • Pump/lines/rack: No visible leaks and no noise from the pump, lines or rack. I don't have a PS pressure gauge set so I haven't been able to really test the pump output.
  • Lower steering shaft: The shaft and u-joint are fairly crusty. I hosed it down with PB Blaster multiple times, which had no effect.
  • Ball joints: There's no clunking or grinding sounds when taking turns or going up driveways etc. No "slop" when driving/steering at normal road speed. No torn boots and I was able to turn the knuckles by hand with normal effort when I had the wheels off last week for a brake job.
  • Other: The service history from Lexus indicates the previous owner took the truck to the dealer for everything, right down to light bulbs. There's nothing in the history about power steering issues, so it probably started in the last 10k miles. It's always been there but has gotten significantly worse this spring. I forgot to mention, the truck has new outer tie rod ends (dealer that sold it to me did these and a few other things) and I did get an alignment last fall-everything was in spec except toe on the PS side. I asked the shop to shake down the front end and said everything looked good aside from leaky inner CV boots.
When I have time, I'm going to pop the tie rods off the knuckles to see if either side feels tight, but does anyone have any ideas based on what I've done so far? Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Dave

Last edited by Puddy; 06-14-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 01:37 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

The tie rods would have to be super stiff for you to feel it over the steering boost.

I would start by replacing the fluid, making sure the correct fluid is used, as that is likely to be the cheapest first step.

Chip H.
Old 06-15-20, 06:52 AM
Puddy
10th Gear

Thanks, I didn't mean to suggest the tie rod ends were the issue - just wanted to point out that I got the alignment and everything (including caster) is in spec. I drained and refilled the fluid with ATF and bled the system.
Old 08-20-20, 09:09 AM
Puddy
10th Gear

Update:

I took the truck to a reputable shop. The shop claims to have had 2 different techs inspect the steering and suspension on a lift: Nothing was loose or binding, no signs of any issue with the rack or pump, alignment is still good. One tech test drove and reported that steering felt "normal", including during tight 3-point turns. They charged me for the diagnostic time and didn't try to sell me anything else.

I just can't believe this is "normal" operation - I'm a reasonably strong guy and it's a chore to parallel park this thing to the point I suspect smaller women or older people would really struggle. The steering is also not normal based on the other 120 series trucks I've driven.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is the intermediate steering shaft. However, I thought that usually caused the steering to bind in certain spots and feel "notchy"? Is there any way to test the shaft without just replacing it?

Old 08-20-20, 04:32 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

Before spending any more money - find another GX 470 owner in your area and ask to try their steering.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 04:44 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Before spending any more money - find another GX 470 owner in your area and ask to try their steering.

Chip H.
Exactly what I was going to recommend, make sure it's not "normal" before spending any more time and money chasing it.
Old 08-20-20, 06:09 PM
jds4u2
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

IanB2 and Chip are spot on, definitely drive another GX before spending any more money.
Old 07-19-24, 01:43 PM
bussevan31
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puddy
Update:

I took the truck to a reputable shop. The shop claims to have had 2 different techs inspect the steering and suspension on a lift: Nothing was loose or binding, no signs of any issue with the rack or pump, alignment is still good. One tech test drove and reported that steering felt "normal", including during tight 3-point turns. They charged me for the diagnostic time and didn't try to sell me anything else.

I just can't believe this is "normal" operation - I'm a reasonably strong guy and it's a chore to parallel park this thing to the point I suspect smaller women or older people would really struggle. The steering is also not normal based on the other 120 series trucks I've driven.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is the intermediate steering shaft. However, I thought that usually caused the steering to bind in certain spots and feel "notchy"? Is there any way to test the shaft without just replacing it?
Did you ever find a fix for this? I think I’m having the exact same issue.