GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Center Cap Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 02:22 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Center Cap Damage

Got new tires today on my 2007, and when they gave me the keys back they showed me a center cap that they dropped a tire on and broke it. Discount Tire said they would order one. When I got home, I found that another cap was broken like they poked something right through the middle of it! I called and told them and they said they would order another one, telling me that they usually push the center cap out with the impact wrench and if they're brittle, they break. If they KNOW that causes problems, why use it??? Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with breaking center caps?
Old 09-10-20, 02:15 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerryd
Got new tires today on my 2007, and when they gave me the keys back they showed me a center cap that they dropped a tire on and broke it. Discount Tire said they would order one. When I got home, I found that another cap was broken like they poked something right through the middle of it! I called and told them and they said they would order another one, telling me that they usually push the center cap out with the impact wrench and if they're brittle, they break. If they KNOW that causes problems, why use it??? Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with breaking center caps?
DT ? They like a fast food burger joint, 5sec rule for anything that hits the floor just to keep customers moving.

I prefer to use smaller reputable shops when I can, even if the tires cost an extra $50-100 total to install. Finding good places these days is not ez.

I had a DT place many years ago rip my drivers seat, tech got in with some sharp tool in his back pocket. They paid for a local guy to fix it, was a good fix, but still, getting in vehicles with tools in you back pocket? Absurd.
Old 09-11-20, 07:17 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerryd
ljerryd-

Thank you for your business. We are sorry to learn of your experience at the store, but glad to hear they are taking care of you and getting new caps on the way.
Old 09-15-20, 05:36 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to let everyone know, Discount Tire called yesterday and already have installed my new center caps. They made good on their promise to make it right and were exceptionally quick to resolve. I will say, those caps have a great grip on the wheel, no worries they will fall off!
The following 2 users liked this post by ljerryd:
Discount Tire (09-16-20), IanB2 (09-16-20)