GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear passenger door won't open either side. How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 10:54 AM
CaliMaine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear passenger door won't open either side. How to fix?

I recently tried replacing all exterior door handles and after taking off all the panels, accidentally unmounting my window motor, and etc. I finally replaced the handle but the handle won't open the door. I, like a real dumby, tried to test the child lock so now it won't open from either side because of child lock on the inside and it being broken on the outside. Is there a solution without having to break the interior door panel?
Old 09-20-20, 07:01 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

If the child lock switch is enabled you need to focus on the outside door handle release, the physical connection from the outside door handle to the release rod of the actuator. If the 2 prong "fork" that attached to the 1 inch long metal bar on the backside of the actuator slipped off you can try circumventing this connection and directly pressing the metal bar.
The easiest way to do this is to roll down the window as far as you can then look down from the window crack directly above the actuator. If you have a flashlight and can look down you should be able to see the 1 inch metal bar on the back side of the actuator. This bar needs to be pushed Down to release the latch. Using a flat tool (like a ruler or flat head screwdriver) try to slide the tool down from the window crack and depress the metal bar. If the unit is locking/unlocking but neither of the connection points are opening the door this may be able to bypass the disconnected handle issue.
Old 09-20-20, 03:05 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Or the original lock tool - the Slim Jim
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Access-To...m-Jim/29723863

Chip H.
Old 10-19-20, 12:50 PM
CaliMaine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
If the child lock switch is enabled you need to focus on the outside door handle release, the physical connection from the outside door handle to the release rod of the actuator. If the 2 prong "fork" that attached to the 1 inch long metal bar on the backside of the actuator slipped off you can try circumventing this connection and directly pressing the metal bar.
The easiest way to do this is to roll down the window as far as you can then look down from the window crack directly above the actuator. If you have a flashlight and can look down you should be able to see the 1 inch metal bar on the back side of the actuator. This bar needs to be pushed Down to release the latch. Using a flat tool (like a ruler or flat head screwdriver) try to slide the tool down from the window crack and depress the metal bar. If the unit is locking/unlocking but neither of the connection points are opening the door this may be able to bypass the disconnected handle issue.
I tried to do as you instructed but I'm not quite sure if I can locate the 1 inch metal bar you are describing. If I can't do this am I totally out of options? This is seriously such a downer.
Old 10-19-20, 02:52 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

A real ut-o situation.

I would not do anything to it just yet, you need to ask around before trying to muck around with it, so that more damage is not done.

One thing to investigate is, is there a way using thin flexible plastic strip to slip that in between door and body from the inside and knock the child safety switch the other way (knock it up)?

I am not sure if trying it from Int is better than Ext. Getting a "grip" on the small rounded lever with a piece of thin flexible plastic will be a challenge, maybe the end of plastic has a hole in it to "catch" the lever? This is like rings-on-bottles at a local weekend circus, etc.

Let me grab a pic.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 10-19-20 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 03:52 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

The horizontal location w/ respect to that armrest.

The vertical view, the challenge is the switch is facing inward on face of door panel, and, the inner door panel is fairly thick, so getting a thin plastic anything to slide up and knock the tiny lever up will be a challenge.