GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just purchased GX470 - Needed suspension recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 06:43 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhand
Eventually, I need to swap out and lift 2" all around.
What factory parts should I replace while doing swap besides the parts listed on your reply?
Springs, shocks, and rear coil conversion kit are all that's required for a lift. If your truck is rusty underneath, you'll want to have swaybar endlinks on hand, as they often need to be cut off. If you're rusty underneath, you might also have issues with the alignment hardware, I had to replace all of mine, and did new LCA's and UCA's at the same time.
Old 09-30-20, 08:05 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Excellent advice!
Yeah, it seems like my airbag has low air... the compressor runs quite long.
So at what speed the air suspension returns to N position?
I believe it's above 5mph.
Old 09-30-20, 08:11 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

From the owners manual:

“HI” (high) mode: The vehicle height is about 40 mm (1.6 in.) higher at the rear than the “N” mode height. This mode is suitable when driving on the bumpy roads and through water. However, when the vehicle speed exceeds about 30 km/h (19 mph) or over in the “HI” mode, the “N” mode is automatically selected. CAUTION The “HI” mode should be used for severe off-road driving condition only. As the vehicle’s center of gravity is higher in this setting, the vehicle may become unstable when turning abruptly resulting in accident.

“LO” (low) mode: The vehicle height is about 20 mm (0.8 in.) lower at the rear than the “N” mode height. This mode allows you easy access to the vehicle (getting in and out) and easy loading and unloading operation. This mode is available when the vehicle speed is under about 12 km/h (7 mph).
Old 09-30-20, 08:23 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanB2
From the owners manual:

“HI” (high) mode: The vehicle height is about 40 mm (1.6 in.) higher at the rear than the “N” mode height. This mode is suitable when driving on the bumpy roads and through water. However, when the vehicle speed exceeds about 30 km/h (19 mph) or over in the “HI” mode, the “N” mode is automatically selected. CAUTION The “HI” mode should be used for severe off-road driving condition only. As the vehicle’s center of gravity is higher in this setting, the vehicle may become unstable when turning abruptly resulting in accident.

“LO” (low) mode: The vehicle height is about 20 mm (0.8 in.) lower at the rear than the “N” mode height. This mode allows you easy access to the vehicle (getting in and out) and easy loading and unloading operation. This mode is available when the vehicle speed is under about 12 km/h (7 mph).
TY for the manual info. I just thought mine was around 5mph, but maybe I saw that from the "L" setting.

The "L" setting is interesting. My GX will often times release air after turning it off and driver and/or passenger(s) get out, and if you read the manual description for "L" it suggest that mode for "ez access and getting in & out", so I just thought the vehicle did a auto-"L" after turning off to make the vehicle a tad lower for easier access to rear and for "getting in and out", I thought this was a auto-kneeling feature. Nobody ever heard of this, so now it makes me wonder. Is my GX releasing air after vehicle is turned off and I get out because the height sensor sensed the rear got beyond the "N"(max) threshold so it releases air to get back into the "N" range?, but doing this with the vehicle off. I am not a heavy person
Old 09-30-20, 08:49 AM
coolhand
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent info!
I spend almost 4 weeks reading entire forum threads but somehow missed that... LOL
Thanks for sharing!

From the owners manual:

Old 09-30-20, 11:05 AM
NEPAKevin
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Springs, shocks, and rear coil conversion kit are all that's required for a lift. If your truck is rusty underneath, you'll want to have swaybar endlinks on hand, as they often need to be cut off. If you're rusty underneath, you might also have issues with the alignment hardware, I had to replace all of mine, and did new LCA's and UCA's at the same time.
This is exactly what I ran into. Hopefully the OP will not have to go through all this as his GX has not been subjected to the rust belt. I also wound up sawzalling the top bolts on all the shocks as well as having to cut out the adjusting bolts. The one mistake I made was trying to use regular blades at first. Then I picked up the Diablo carbide blades an it was like going from a dull butter knife to a light saber. I did heed the recommendations to use factory parts to replace the adjusters as well as coating them with copper anti-seize and the alignment guy said he had no problems. While its apart, I would check out everything as that's the time to do stuff if its needed. Noticing a bad CV- boot led me to discover that the previous owner had "one" CV-axle replaced with a cheap aftermarket. While replacing the axles, I noticed the bearing seal, (coincidentally?) on the side with the cheap axle was bad and had let water into the bearing which I figured would have gone bad in the near future. So both bearing assemblies and all the seals R&Red. While it was up on the lift, I sprayed the entire underside with a rust preventative in hopes of lessening the damage done by the brine and salts they use on the roads during the winter, FWIW.
Old 09-30-20, 12:22 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
TY for the manual info. I just thought mine was around 5mph, but maybe I saw that from the "L" setting.

The "L" setting is interesting. My GX will often times release air after turning it off and driver and/or passenger(s) get out, and if you read the manual description for "L" it suggest that mode for "ez access and getting

in & out", so I just thought the vehicle did a auto-"L" after turning off to make the vehicle a tad lower for easier access to rear and for "getting in and out", I thought this was a auto-kneeling feature. Nobody ever heard of this, so now it makes me wonder. Is my GX releasing air after vehicle is turned off and I get out because the height sensor sensed the rear got beyond the "N"(max) threshold so it releases air to get back into the "N" range?, but doing this with the vehicle off. I am not a heavy person
it senses the weight difference when you get out so you might here a short hiss as the suspension compensates for the change

The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 12:53 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALAN553
it senses the weight difference when you get out so you might here a short hiss as the suspension compensates for the change
The air valves still work when the vehicle is turned off?

Not sure it senses weight, there's just a height sensor. If I lift body from the hitch I don't get air release, etc.
Old 09-30-20, 01:48 PM
ALAN553
Racer

It must for a short period of time...always hear the air release when I get out ..l
Old 09-30-20, 03:25 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

I also get the air release a few moments after getting out. My guess is that it stays powered up until the computer goes to low-power sleep.

Something I played around with the other day .. the HomeLink garage opener buttons have power even after the key is removed. But I didn't wait a long time to see if it also goes into sleep mode. This has implications if you park outside and someone breaks a window - they could then open your garage.

Chip H.
Old 09-30-20, 06:18 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by chiph9
I also get the air release a few moments after getting out. My guess is that it stays powered up until the computer goes to low-power sleep.

Something I played around with the other day .. the HomeLink garage opener buttons have power even after the key is removed. But I didn't wait a long time to see if it also goes into sleep mode. This has implications if you park outside and someone breaks a window - they could then open your garage.

Chip H.
garage button works all the time...I lock out remotes on control panel because car is out at night.
Old 09-30-20, 08:43 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

I tried to adjust in various settings and honestly, couldn't tell any difference in ride quality.
Yes, it takes quite a long time to fill the airbags.
There should be noticeable diff between left "comfort" and right "sport" modes for the dynamic shocks. Body roll should be noticeable, and if not then maybe your shocks are not working?

Old 09-30-20, 08:45 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by chiph9

Chip H.
Leave your car window open with vehicle turned off, place your rfid key far away, does the homelink button still work if you press it w/o opening the doors?
Old 09-30-20, 08:48 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It must for a short period of time...always hear the air release when I get out ..l
I thought this was a auto-kneel feature (no such feature that I can find documented), like their user manual description for the "L" setting, etc. Lowering the rear to the "L" setting when vehicle is turned off would seem like a nice feature for people and rear cargo, etc.
Old 09-30-20, 10:25 PM
Willys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all... nice ride! I loved my GX.

The air suspension is really cool (when it works) but when mine started acting up I felt it was best to convert to coil springs and standard shocks.

Here is what I used:

1. Rear Coil Springs: (Installed myself)
Used FJ Cruiser springs from a 2007 Spring Sub-Assembly Toyota Part # 48302-35040
* (2) MetalTech 4x4 DIY Rear Coil Conversion Kit

2. Rear Shocks: (Installed myself)
* KYB 344410 (2)

3. Front struts: (Shop)
* KYB SR4131 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Left
* KYB SR4130 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Right

4. Front end alignment (Shop)

5. Cover to replace the interior Ride Height switch on the center console:
* Toyota Part # 58839-60040

Note: The rear springs & shocks were pretty easy to do myself. After lifting the back end with a floor jack the springs were easy to put in. No compressor needed. The front struts (I purchased with new coils) were installed by the shop who did my alignment.

The ride with the new suspension is firmer but didn’t seem overly harsh. It softened up over time but I was ok with it from day one. There was not a noticeable rake and actually sat better than when it did with the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Just purchased GX470 - Needed suspension recommendation