GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Upgrading stock Nav and Stereo options 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 02:18 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by takervader
Well that would be nice since Phoenix seems to have no clue about it.
I never bought the cable since we just use iHeartRadio and our iPhones music library. I didn’t feel like taking the radio back out to mess around with these cables.
Old 10-26-20, 02:45 PM
takervader
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I never bought the cable since we just use iHeartRadio and our iPhones music library. I didn’t feel like taking the radio back out to mess around with these cables.
Well if you can find the thread quickly please link it to me, I cannot seem to find it on either, unless its a single post buried in a thread.

I don't like to use all my data with the Carplay (when it feels like working), I like a couple local stations.
Old 10-26-20, 04:14 PM
jds4u2
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, I spent less than $20, can stream podcasts and Spotify from my iphone, radio works fine, use controls on the steering wheel when needed.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
cssnms (10-27-20)
Old 10-26-20, 05:00 PM
nycbenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jds4u2
Maybe I'm missing something, I spent less than $20, can stream podcasts and Spotify from my iphone, radio works fine, use controls on the steering wheel when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X9EWVXLJ&psc=1
I'm looking for a more permanent, transmitter-free solution, however I just bit the bullet on $17 (lol) to see if this will temporarily solve my problems on a 8,000 mile road trip this winter!

Old 10-26-20, 06:44 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by takervader
Well if you can find the thread quickly please link it to me, I cannot seem to find it on either, unless its a single post buried in a thread.

I don't like to use all my data with the Carplay (when it feels like working), I like a couple local stations.
How’s this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...na-cables.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10826808
Old 10-27-20, 11:38 AM
takervader
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still cannot find a link to the adapter used, or one that goes from the diversity antenna jack directly to a larger male jack. Unless people are using the Nissan part.
Old 10-27-20, 05:14 PM
nycbenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nycbenz
I'm looking for a more permanent, transmitter-free solution, however I just bit the bullet on $17 (lol) to see if this will temporarily solve my problems on a 8,000 mile road trip this winter!
Just an update as I just received from Amazon - it’s a GREAT temporary solution for sure. Much better than the factory BT, plus I can stream music/any sound from my phone.

The sound has a very minor distortion, however it’s much clearer than cassettes, not as clear as CDs, but phone calls sound a million times better and come through all of the speakers.

Definitely a great buy for $17, and can really take my time finding a permanent solution that doesn’t affect the appearance of OEM controls.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-28-20, 11:10 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nycbenz
Just an update as I just received from Amazon - it’s a GREAT temporary solution for sure. Much better than the factory BT, plus I can stream music/any sound from my phone.

The sound has a very minor distortion, however it’s much clearer than cassettes, not as clear as CDs, but phone calls sound a million times better and come through all of the speakers.

Definitely a great buy for $17, and can really take my time finding a permanent solution that doesn’t affect the appearance of OEM controls.

Thanks for the heads up!
I used a USA SPEC BT25-TOY Bluetooth adapter for the GX470. This will give you what you want in terms of "transmitter free" in your quest for OEM look. You just install it and it hides inside your console and is not noticeable. Everything inside the car looks the same and functions as OEM. It will automatically connect to your phone and you can control everything from your phone while driving and it plays through your speakers in the car. Even better, I paired it with and Amazon Echo Auto and I can just speak with the phone in my pocket (to the Amazon Echo Auto), and the radio will play it, or give directions, etc. If you use Amazon Echo at home to control things, you can control them from your car too, it's pretty neat. The cost and complexity to add an entire stereo and such is just not worth the hassle in my opinion. Using your phone for maps and such is just way more convenient.

The big problem with the FM transmitter option is that you are planning an 8000 mile road trip, which implies that you will be driving quite a bit. I used to have the FM transmitter that worked very well, but the problem is that as you drive you will be entering different zones that broadcast on the frequency you are using to send the music to your FM car receiver, and then the music will start to get full of static, and you will have to change the broadcast channel of the FM modulator. It gets very annoying.
Old 10-28-20, 02:04 PM
nycbenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by implantgs4
I used a USA SPEC BT25-TOY Bluetooth adapter for the GX470. This will give you what you want in terms of "transmitter free" in your quest for OEM look. You just install it and it hides inside your console and is not noticeable. Everything inside the car looks the same and functions as OEM. It will automatically connect to your phone and you can control everything from your phone while driving and it plays through your speakers in the car. Even better, I paired it with and Amazon Echo Auto and I can just speak with the phone in my pocket (to the Amazon Echo Auto), and the radio will play it, or give directions, etc. If you use Amazon Echo at home to control things, you can control them from your car too, it's pretty neat. The cost and complexity to add an entire stereo and such is just not worth the hassle in my opinion. Using your phone for maps and such is just way more convenient.

The big problem with the FM transmitter option is that you are planning an 8000 mile road trip, which implies that you will be driving quite a bit. I used to have the FM transmitter that worked very well, but the problem is that as you drive you will be entering different zones that broadcast on the frequency you are using to send the music to your FM car receiver, and then the music will start to get full of static, and you will have to change the broadcast channel of the FM modulator. It gets very annoying.
Thanks for this, I think I’ll be going the BT-25 route to be honest as that’s the only one that seems it fits the bill. Is there a way to use the factory microphone instead of the one that comes with the BT-25?