GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Upgrading stock Nav and Stereo options 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 07:03 PM
Waynegro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrading stock Nav and Stereo options 2020 edition

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 05 GX470 w/ Nav and after tons of research i’m torn on which direction to go regarding my stereo. My main concerns are interfacing my iPhone with the vehicle for Pandora, sootify, iTunes music and podcasts etc. It would be nice to be able to have Apple CarPlay as well, however it’s not a deal killer.
I would also like to be able to use the full capability and enjoy the sound quality of the Mark Levinson Soundsystem. So hopefully you guys can guide me one way or another. So it seems like these are the following best options and my basic understanding of them.

Beat Sonic - with this wiring harness it allows you to put a single din stereo where currently your tape player resides. Any drawbacks? It Retains the climate control on your oem navigation. Fairly easy install?

Telsa Screen - Aesthetically definitely the best looking. Has its own built-in climate control buttons that don’t seem to be as good as the OEM ones. Seems to be buggy and not all the features work yet. Will it be supported by the aftermarket for a long time? How long will these last, are they durable? How is the overall audio quality?

Non Nav Conversion - Convert to the non-navigation climate controls and this allows you to put a 9 inch android screen or double din stereo in place of oem nav. I like having the climate control off the navigation screen and the prospect of a bother navigation and her control unit. How is the sound quality? Apparently You have to add an adapter or some kind to allow an iPhone to work on it.

GROM - this gives you a charging and USB port interface that allows you to run your iPhone on the old navigation screen or something to this effect? Does it allow for Bluetooth also? How is the audio quality on this?

If I’m missing anything feel free to add. Or if I’ve missed labeled or misunderstood any of these. Thanks and looking forward to buying something soon.

Old 10-04-20, 08:39 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Phoenix Android
Old 10-04-20, 09:16 AM
Waynegro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Phoenix Android
Could you elaborate a little more? I haven’t heard anything about this one before..
Old 10-04-20, 11:39 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waynegro
Could you elaborate a little more? I haven’t heard anything about this one before..
I think this is the most common "P-&-P" item there is for GX470. There are several models. Search this site, many posts about the PA.
https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pro...-470-2003-2009
Old 10-04-20, 07:13 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Don’t get the android “Tesla” screen. Just don’t. In the end it looks cool and all but the functionality is lacking, interface is clunky (chalk that up to being android) and lastly the glare is abysmal. No really it is, I cannot see ****. Don’t believe me? Here’s a picture I took of ours showing what you’ll see 95% of the time while driving. I’m working on a solution but nothing has solved this problem yet.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading stock Nav and Stereo options 2020 edition-06062561-7707-4048-8f0a-4c1eea454a32.jpeg  
Old 10-04-20, 07:27 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Just put an anti-glare screen-protector over it.

Which specific Phoenix Android do you have?

The u-toob vids tell how to rid all the annoyances of initial setup. Did you tweak it right?
Old 10-05-20, 05:32 AM
takervader
Driver School Candidate

I put the Phoenix Android in yesterday, and frankly the above comment is true about the interface. It is clunky. It was pretty easy to get it in and hooked up though.

No the Youtube videos don't all apply, some people must have previous editions, and everything I do to match what they tell me does not work. The screen interfaces look different as well. Mine was a 10.4" screen ordered from them directly about 2 weeks ago.

Still can't load a new splash/boot logo, because the YT video that goes into that (from Phoenix) doesnt work. Carplay still doesnt work with the dongle I purchased from them. The bluetooth doesn't seem to pair with the OBD2 connector for Torque App either, though it pairs with the Iphone fine.

And they send you zero instructions on setting it up, you just have to watch the YT vids over and over. I'm going to keep piddling with it until I get something set up better but they could do a better job.
Old 10-10-20, 04:20 PM
Waynegro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Don’t get the android “Tesla” screen. Just don’t. In the end it looks cool and all but the functionality is lacking, interface is clunky (chalk that up to being android) and lastly the glare is abysmal. No really it is, I cannot see ****. Don’t believe me? Here’s a picture I took of ours showing what you’ll see 95% of the time while driving. I’m working on a solution but nothing has solved this problem yet.
That’s what I needed to hear. So if you had to do it all over again what option would you have gone with? At this moment I’m leaning towards the beat sonic that allows a single din radio or switching over to the non-NAV climate controls and adding a double din stereo
Old 10-10-20, 04:23 PM
Waynegro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by takervader
I put the Phoenix Android in yesterday, and frankly the above comment is true about the interface. It is clunky. It was pretty easy to get it in and hooked up though.

No the Youtube videos don't all apply, some people must have previous editions, and everything I do to match what they tell me does not work. The screen interfaces look different as well. Mine was a 10.4" screen ordered from them directly about 2 weeks ago.

Still can't load a new splash/boot logo, because the YT video that goes into that (from Phoenix) doesnt work. Carplay still doesnt work with the dongle I purchased from them. The bluetooth doesn't seem to pair with the OBD2 connector for Torque App either, though it pairs with the Iphone fine.

And they send you zero instructions on setting it up, you just have to watch the YT vids over and over. I'm going to keep piddling with it until I get something set up better but they could do a better job.
Thanks for posting this. The phoenix android tesla screen option is out for me now. What do you think the best set up to go with is?
Old 10-12-20, 09:13 AM
takervader
Driver School Candidate

There are other stereo system head units that will go into the dash and work fine, and there are bluetooth adapters. Vaistech was something I looked at a lot.

After a week of fiddling its still very clunky, Carplay may connect or it may not connect, even wired, depends on how it feels like behaving that day. You have to make it connect with the Autokit app. Once it activates it works fine.

The radio is abysmal, which I don't understand. The antenna jack is seated but it doesnt pick up all the stations it used to pick up. It used to pick up better than my Tacoma and now the opposite is the case.

AC controls work fine. Volume controls work fine.

I've tried 3 different OBD2 adapters, even the one they sell, and none will connect to the unit over wifi or bluetooth. It also doesnt connect quickly to the iphone's hotspot, and tends to drop that connection often.

Last edited by takervader; 10-12-20 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 10:11 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I used a USA SPEC BT25-TOY Bluetooth adapter for the GX470. Work great.
Old 10-13-20, 07:17 PM
Waynegro
Driver School Candidate

After much research I ended up going with a BT45-TOY. I ordered it last night and i’ll update everyone after I get it installed. It gives me wireless BT connectivity and usb charging and was fairly inexpensive. Install doesn’t seem super hard and most users are reporting very reliable operation of it.

Old 10-26-20, 09:36 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

That’s what I needed to hear. So if you had to do it all over again what option would you have gone with? At this moment I’m leaning towards the beat sonic that allows a single din radio or switching over to the non-NAV climate controls and adding a double din stereo
Honestly I have no idea what I would of done. Perhaps the Grom unit? I dunno.
Old 10-26-20, 09:52 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by takervader
The radio is abysmal, which I don't understand. The antenna jack is seated but it doesnt pick up all the stations it used to pick up. It used to pick up better than my Tacoma and now the opposite is the case
That’s because our 470’s have two antennas. I believe there is a topic here or on ih8mud about it. You can buy a y-adapter and another cable (forgot which one, but it is an adapter to accommodate the different sized factory cable) to use in order to get proper reception. I’m sure someone else can confirm the specifics.

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Just put an anti-glare screen-protector over it.

Which specific Phoenix Android do you have?

The u-toob vids tell how to rid all the annoyances of initial setup. Did you tweak it right?
Find me one! I’ve looked for months for an anti-glare screen. I found an iPad one I may check out that is a similar size.

I have a fast boot PX6, their latest unit with the latest OS. And yes I know how to and have set it up correctly—most of my problems are not related to setup or lack thereof. I have gone round and round with Phoenix support and they have now ghosted me since they cannot resolve my outstanding issues / problems. I’m really rather frustrated that I wasted almost $700 on this thing. I’m not ordering from them ever again.
Old 10-26-20, 01:17 PM
takervader
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
That’s because our 470’s have two antennas. I believe there is a topic here or on ih8mud about it. You can buy a y-adapter and another cable (forgot which one, but it is an adapter to accommodate the different sized factory cable) to use in order to get proper reception. I’m sure someone else can confirm the specifics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DTCDF5...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Well that would be nice since Phoenix seems to have no clue about it.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (10-26-20)

Quick Reply: Upgrading stock Nav and Stereo options 2020 edition