GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Coolant fully drained?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 11:03 AM
jlamonica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant fully drained?

I recently did a cooling system back flush using one of those Old School Prestone flush kits (garden hose adapter tee in the output hose of the heater core). After draining the radiator, it would only take a gallon of 50/50 coolant mix. This concerned me that I may have too diluted a mixture and poor freeze protection. I later learned about the drain petcocks on the sides of the block. Yesterday, I drained the radiator fully, then opened the block drains. Not a drop came out. Refilled with 50/50 coolant and, again, could only get a gallon into the system. I'm concerned because I'm taking a trip this weekend to somewhere expected to be in the teens and 20s at night. The Owner's Manual says something like 17-quart capacity in the cooling system. That seems crazy. If it's true, I'm running mostly water in my cooling system. Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-20, 01:48 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

Turn the heat on in the cabin - turn off the "Auto" function and set the temperature to high, with airflow directed to the floor. This should make sure the heater core has coolant running through it.

Leave the radiator cap off (make REAL sure it's cool to the touch!) then start the engine. Observe the level and whether the coolant surface "jiggles". This will tell you if the water pump is working (jiggling means there's flow). If the level drops then shut off the engine and add more pre-mix. Repeat until it reaches the top of the radiator fill neck.

Afterwards, add coolant to the overflow tank until it's between the lines. Keep an eye on it over the next few trips to see if you need to top it off.

Chip H.

Last edited by chiph9; 12-21-20 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 03:18 PM
jlamonica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Turn the heat on in the cabin - turn off the "Auto" function and set the temperature to high, with airflow directed to the floor. This should make sure the heater core has coolant running through it.

Leave the radiator cap off (make REAL sure it's cool to the touch!) then start the engine. Observe the level and whether the coolant surface "jiggles". This will tell you if the water pump is working (jiggling means there's flow). If the level drops then shut off the engine and add more pre-mix. Repeat until it reaches the top of the radiator fill neck.

Afterwards, add coolant to the overflow tank until it's between the lines. Keep an eye on it over the next few trips to see if you need to top it off.

Chip H.
Thank you, Chip. Pretty much the procedure I followed. I'm sure it burped out a little air today. Will top off tonight. The part that's scaring me is the back of the manual saying 17-quart capacity. If that's true, I'm worried my concentration for far too weak.
Old 12-22-20, 05:14 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

One other question - are you parked on a level surface?

Chip H.
Old 12-22-20, 06:42 AM
jlamonica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
One other question - are you parked on a level surface?

Chip H.
Yes, on the level surface question.