GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Loose steering and vibrations after installing a lift/coil conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 08:03 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Loose steering and vibrations after installing a lift/coil conversion

I posted this on the other forum, and thought I also post it here to get as much help as possible. I recently got a 2" Eibach lift kit installed with coil conversion along with OEM UCAs, LCAs and tie rod ends. I also got alignment done after that. Since then:
1. My steering feels really loose when driving in general or driving in curves or turning into a parking spot. Also under 30mph, it seems it has free play as i can move it back and forth a bit easily without turning the tires.
2. When I accelerate or even when I'm driving I can feel the ride is a bit rough/vibrating - feel it on the steering, seats and pretty much all over. It is also idling a little rough.

None of these issues existed before i got the suspension replaced. I got the boots/axle replaced last year and those are fine. The mechanic checked the drive shaft and it looks good. He is planning to put some grease in u-joints and zerks. He also checked the spark plugs etc. and that's good. He has had the car for 3 days and he can't figure out the problem and is almost ready to give up. He thinks it is happening because of the lift since the springs are kind of stiff so they are not really seating properly to put enough weight on the car.

I know there are so many who have gotten the lift and had no issues. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what to do. I'm really upset as I LOVE my car and hate to see the ride gotten bad after I put so much money into it. I also got the timing belt, radiator and everything replaced a month ago and it was riding well. Again, these issues did not exist before i got the suspension work done so I don't think there is any problem with the wheels and tires - which I am planning to replace once these issues are resolved.
Old 12-24-20, 05:37 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

The front CV axles now ride at a different angle. Maybe that's the vibration?
Old 12-24-20, 06:27 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I have a feeling that the vibrations have something to do with the drive shaft or drive line being at wrong angle or bent after the lift. The car vibrates even while in Park. Maybe I should just replace the old shaft but I’d hate to throw more money and not get the results.

And the loose steering...maybe has to do with caster or something with alignment. I wonder if I put new wheels and tires the problem would get better. But I’d like to address this issue before making the switch.

I’ve done so much readings on the Internet about these issues that my head is spinning. This is what most people are concluding about these 2 issues after the lift. I just hope my mechanics figures something out. Otherwise I’ll have to find someone else which I’m not looking forward to.
Old 12-26-20, 10:53 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car vibrates in park?

That statement would seem to indicate that it is not the actual running gear as in park the driveline is in a static position excepting the transmission which would have some moving parts I suspect. I do not know which ones. I suspect a mechanic could move through a lot of scenarios and start narrowing down the issue. Did you do the lift yourself? Has anyone else driven the car and given their view?.
Old 12-26-20, 01:15 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 745 Likes on 609 Posts

Agree. If it's vibrating while in park and the vehicle is stationary, it's not anything suspension related.
Try getting the codes read, see if any cylinders are reporting a miss.

Chip H.
Old 12-26-20, 07:57 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I don’t know what the heck is going on. I know that the car was running smooth at idle and while driving.....plus the steering was perfectly fine. Got no other work done besides lift kit, coil conversion, UCA, LCA and tie rod ends....and right after that both issues started. Really bummed about this whole situation as I’m not mechanically inclined side just relying on my mechanic to fix the issues. And of course seeking help on the forums and reading all over the web. My mechanic has kept the car and is still troubleshooting. He is just an ordinary mechanic who isn’t into lift and stuff. I my have to take it to some 4x4 shop in my area to diagnose and address these issues. Those shops primarily deal with Jeeps....hoping they can figure it out with GX.
Old 12-27-20, 05:43 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry but it doesnt sound like your mechanic is a very technical one. I would get it out of his hands and take it to a certified shop like toyota. Most Toyota shops also have the capability to install lifts and they will have all the necessary equipment to diagnose the issues. I always see people trying to save money by using someone who doesnt have the proper qualifications and they end up paying more in the end. Use qualified people at the beginning. A qualified shop will torque everything to spec and will paint the nuts and bolts with marking paint. So if anything starts vibrating it is easy to see were the problem is. Sounds like maybe he took something apart that he didnt need to or didnt tighten back up. This could be an accident waiting to happen,
good luck and let us know what it was.
Old 12-27-20, 05:50 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Default Buy an OBD2 scanner

Buy an OBD2 scanner which you can use with your smartphone or a stand alone scanner so you can see if there have been codes thrown. It should help you down the road to figure this issue out.
Old 12-28-20, 11:59 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Thank you for your feedback. The scanner did not throw any codes.

Picking up my car this evening. For the steering, the mechanic said it has do with the alignment. He said to take it to the same alignment shop again and have them redo it. He thinks the caster is on the low side. Basically, the steering is not very responsive. Like if I turn it, and let it go....it doesn't get straight on its own. I've read on the MUD forum that with a lift, the caster should be close to 4.0. Let me know what you think - I've attached a picture of the current alignment below.

As for vibrations/shudder - he said that he doesn't really feel it - but I can since i drive it everyday and I'm very sensitive to notice a small difference. Maybe it got better after he greased the drive-shaft, but we shall see :-/ The spark plugs, fuel injectors etc. were all good....besides, like i stated earlier, this started happening right after the suspension install. I got the timing belt and everything replaced by him earlier and it ran smooth.

I've been using this mechanic for 20+ years and he's been good so far. I think the problem is that he lets his guys do all the work who are not as experienced. Anyways, if the problems are not gone, i'm planning to take it to some 4x4 shop in my area and let them figure it out. Around here, my Toyota dealer and another Lexus shop has major issues when they see the car with non-factory parts especially the lift. I don't compromise on quality of parts and service - its just that I don't have much options. Anyone in MD/VA/DC area has suggestions, let me know.

Old 01-03-21, 01:02 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Default Any change in tires?

During this work did you change tires/rims? Please let us know what you find out.
Old 01-04-21, 06:53 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

I still have the same wheels and tires on.

I got the alignment done from my preferred place, and that has taken care of the vibrations for the most part and the steering is now solid. They were able to get the caster to only 3.0/3.4 which I was hoping to get closer to 4.0 since I plan on putting bigger tires.

There is very slight vibration now when driving, which I may be overthinking - but I'm hoping it will get even better or go away once I put on new wheels and tires. I got the Method MR316 wheels and planning to put on Falken WildPeak A/T3W next week. Will report back.