GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 08:20 AM
TANK52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown head gasket

okay so i made the mistake of taking my GX to a local shop that has now turn into a nightmare ! oh and to top it off the shop offered to buy my GX after taking it apart.
it started off with my girl and i pulling a trailer with our GX 470 that was 4000# so late at night while my girl was driving i had woke up to see steam pouring out the passenger side of the hood so i instructed her to pull over and shut off the car mind you this is in the winter time and 20 degrees outside , opened the hood and steam was pouring out the overflow so we stop let it cool off and added water at this time the temp gage never went past the half way point so we continued on and about 5 miles down the road it started again so again pulled over and as she let off the gas the needle of the temp gage pegs and boiled over so now we are in the parking lot of a hotel so we get a room for the night and the next morning we find a shop that works on imports they look it over and the motor is volcano fluid out the top of the radiator without the cap on and the shop suspects it might be a blow head gasket never the less we are 5 hours from home so i rent a uhaul plus trailer load it up and head for home .
after returning from my trip and being new to the area a co worker recommended a local shop and i look into had good reviews so i have my GX towed there after there inspection the shop comes back with a blown head gasket so great i tell them to fix and thinking okay we have a fix but wait not so fast ! the shop comes back and not only have i blow one head gasket but both and now both of my heads are warped past ten thousands and can not be fix then tells me they can not find replacements ( this is when there offer comes in $2000 no joke ) so i say let me look and see what i can find if anything at this time i find a shop that specializes in toys and he directs me to a machine shop that has a procedure to straighten if needed so great ! i think im in luck but not so fast ! oh this gets better so i call the shop and inform them of my find and agree to come pick up my heads when i get to the shop the owner who before over the phone agreed now does not want to release my heads to me and after some time i finally get my heads back and take off to the machine shop .couple days pass and the machine shop calls me with a problem after washing the heads he reports to me the the drivers head is only warped 3 thousands and the passenger head isn't warped at all but all the shims under the buckets are missing except one plus here the kicker wait for it! now i have a broken cam shaft awesome! the machine shop and the Toyota shop both tell me they know just how he broke them , they did not line up the cams before they bolted it back together and that broke it right in two. so now i go back to the shop and say WTF! at that point the owner threatens me that he is going to abandon my car and give it back to me now a basket case torn apart oh and again tells me i should sell it for parts.
what should i do ? i don't trust this shop but on the same note there isnt a shop out there that wants to touch a basket case , he knows he has me over a barrel !
Old 02-28-21, 03:23 PM
campfire
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd take him in front of the local magistrate.
Old 02-28-21, 05:03 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

Getting the heads rebuilt (new cam, shaved a few thousanths) and new head gaskets does not make it a basket case. Get it and all the parts (covers, fasteners, etc) out of their hands and flat-bed it back home while you look for a better shop to work on it.

If you can't find a shop to repair it, you're no worse off than before. Plus it's in your hands and not racking up storage fees at their shop.

Chip H.
Old 02-28-21, 07:29 PM
coachstu
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an affidavit from the honest mechanics and file a claim in small claims. You have nothing to lose.