GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sell my GX470 or Repair It?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 09:45 AM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Sell my GX470 or Repair It?!?

I have an '04 GX470 with 206K miles. I've owned it for about three years and my wife drives it. Around town and on short trips to see family. We like the GX and were planning to keep it for another year or two. However, since January of 2021 I have made the following repairs.
$550 - A/C Servo motor replacement. (Couldn't adjust the temp for the front seats.)
$350 - CV axle replaced (Replaced the other side last year.)
$900 - New tires
$200 - Weather Tech Floor Mats
TOTAL = $2,000

When I went to get an alignment for the new tires, I was told by my mechanic they couldn't do it because there are issues with the control arms and they'd need to be replaced. (This mechanic did an alignment on my '06 4Runner when the local Toyota Dealer told me it couldn't be done due to a similar diagnosis.) Also, I was informed the front struts are leaking a should be replaced. They are quoting another $2,300 to replace the struts, control arms, and do an alignment. The local Lexus dealer quoted $3,600 for the same repairs, but may come down if they can use aftermarket parts. Looking for a third quote as well.

I was ok with the current repairs as other than the A/C servo, they were all items that are expected for a vehicle with 206K miles. We hoped we could get through another year or two without any major repairs. As I look online I am seeing similar models for sale around $7,500. Trade in around $4,500.

What would you do?
Fix all the issues, only fix some?
Put $4,000+ in a year into a $7,500 vehicle or call it and stop the bleeding?

Thanks in advance! This is my first post and I really appreciate being able to learn from the more experienced GX owners.

Last edited by Savage470; 03-17-21 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Left off a detail.
Old 03-17-21, 10:02 AM
DrkBlue
Driver School Candidate

Tough call. New tires,then those issues? Uggh.
Old 03-17-21, 12:40 PM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can't do the repairs on your own and you don't want to pay someone to do them for you then I only see one option.
Old 03-17-21, 12:52 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

What's your other options, replace with something else? New or Used? Did you have a budget in mind?

Say you'd try and replace with a budget of $20k, you can figure out what a monthly payment would look like, vs. contributing towards maintenance costs on your current, used vehicle. Keep in mind if replacing with another used vehicle it will have maintenance costs going forward as well, no warranty, etc.

Also worth noting, the market on GX470's has blown up lately, I'm guessing yours is worth more like $10-11K if you looked around. My '04 was valued at $14.5K CAN about 18 months ago when I hit a deer, that was pre-covid, before the market exploded.

You could do new LCA's and alignment hardware, and aftermarket springs/shocks all around for less than the cost of replacing OEM shocks...could be a chance for a new lease on life for this old truck? You can source out a low-lift kit that would ride better than new.

Old 03-17-21, 02:00 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

I've been thinking about doing a front suspension refresh. It's an option for me because I still really like my GX and plan to keep it several more years.

(The new Bronco really looks good, but the thought of having a $800 car payment just turns my stomach.)

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (03-17-21)
Old 03-17-21, 07:09 PM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Smile May have found a buyer...

Thank you all for the feedback. I will need do a little more internetting to get a better idea of the GX's value right now. I called a local shop that specializes in off road vehicles to see what it would be to get them to do the work. At the end of the call the guy said "uhh hey man, if you decide to sell it, let me know..." I may have found the perfect buyer. He's not concerned with suspension as he would replace it anyway when he puts a lift on it.

Last edited by Savage470; 03-17-21 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typoes
Old 03-17-21, 07:19 PM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
I've been thinking about doing a front suspension refresh. It's an option for me because I still really like my GX and plan to keep it several more years.

(The new Bronco really looks good, but the thought of having a $800 car payment just turns my stomach.)

Chip H.
They really are good vehicles. I just think where I am in life (6 month old and 3 year old) that I can't responsibly turn the GX into a play vehicle.
Old 03-17-21, 07:21 PM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
What's your other options, replace with something else? New or Used? Did you have a budget in mind?

Say you'd try and replace with a budget of $20k, you can figure out what a monthly payment would look like, vs. contributing towards maintenance costs on your current, used vehicle. Keep in mind if replacing with another used vehicle it will have maintenance costs going forward as well, no warranty, etc.

Also worth noting, the market on GX470's has blown up lately, I'm guessing yours is worth more like $10-11K if you looked around. My '04 was valued at $14.5K CAN about 18 months ago when I hit a deer, that was pre-covid, before the market exploded.

You could do new LCA's and alignment hardware, and aftermarket springs/shocks all around for less than the cost of replacing OEM shocks...could be a chance for a new lease on life for this old truck? You can source out a low-lift kit that would ride better than new.
I'll take a look at this option. If I went this route I'd have to give the wife my 4Runner. Its an '06 Limited V8 4WD. You know, basically the GX's less refined cousin. Thanks!
Old 03-17-21, 07:24 PM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by se7enine
If you can't do the repairs on your own and you don't want to pay someone to do them for you then I only see one option.
Is that option you mention, wait for a 4th stimulus check? hahahahahaha
Old 03-18-21, 05:12 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

Expanding more on car payment vs. repair... an $800 monthly payment on a replacement vehicle means that you could pay for repairs in about 3-4 months (equivalent)

Chip H.
IanB2 (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 06:42 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Savage470
Is that option you mention, wait for a 4th stimulus check? hahahahahaha
I would but I'm pretty handy with tools and have alternate vehicles. Sometimes it's better to buy once and cry once. A big repair bill could hold you for a long time with little maintenance later on, a new car comes with big payments every month and the unknown issues plus the same fees you are at now eventually. You could always reach out to members near you and see if anyone is willing to help out to save you some coin. Beer and pizza can persuade most home mechanics.
IanB2 (03-18-21)
Old 03-19-21, 11:12 AM
Savage470
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy More poop to pile on top...

And to top things off with a big piece of poop cake, my other vehicle (2006 4Runner V8 4WD) started shifting funny yesterday. [A cross between a limp mode and barely engaging a clutch followed by a jerk and surge in power.] My office is around the corner from local Toyota Dealership. I dropped it off and asked them to do a diagnostic. Later that day...

Toyota Service Dept.: "Mr. Savage, your 4Runner is ready to go! You can come pick it up."
Me: *Feeling relieved* "That's great, I'll be over in a few minutes. What was the issue?"
Toyota Service Dept.: "You need a new transmission, torque converter, and rear main seal."
Me: "That's not funny, you said it was ready to go..."
Toyota Service Dept.: Oh, um yes sir, sorry, um, you can come pick the car up, but it needs a new transmission and...*I cut him off*
Me: How about next time you lead with the major repair and not 'You're ready to go!' like everything is fine. What is this going to cost me?"
Toyota Service Dept.: "I can put together a quote for you and have it ready when you get here."
Me: *Awkward silence* "I'll be there in a minute. Grrrr."

In the defense of the dealership service department, it was this guy's first day training on the phones. I jokingly let him have it when I got there. His supervisor apologized over an over again. You just gotta laugh some times.

I am getting a second opinion from my regular mechanic, and preparing myself for some $$$ repairs. On the bright side, my mechanic's regular suspension/alignment tech apparently was on vacation when the GX470 came in for an alignment. He's great and has been doing it for 20+ years. He took a look at the GX and told me to bring it in and he would try and align it. He confirmed the suspension is safe for now and may just wear the new tires a little faster if he can't align it. Putting a pause on the GX issues and now on to the 4Runner!

Thank you to everyone that replied and gave suggestions. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-19-21, 02:19 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Mechanics are like Dentists ...skill and prices vary a lot. Let a privately owned non dealing garage check out the 4Runner 1st. Swapping out 1/2 the fluid and some transmission fix from Lucas can do wonders. Maybe keep you from tossing big cash at it.
Old 03-21-21, 07:13 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Savage470
And to top things off with a big piece of poop cake, my other vehicle (2006 4Runner V8 4WD) started shifting funny yesterday. [A cross between a limp mode and barely engaging a clutch followed by a jerk and surge in power.] My office is around the corner from local Toyota Dealership. I dropped it off and asked them to do a diagnostic. Later that day...

Toyota Service Dept.: "Mr. Savage, your 4Runner is ready to go! You can come pick it up."
Me: *Feeling relieved* "That's great, I'll be over in a few minutes. What was the issue?"
Toyota Service Dept.: "You need a new transmission, torque converter, and rear main seal."
Me: "That's not funny, you said it was ready to go..."
Toyota Service Dept.: Oh, um yes sir, sorry, um, you can come pick the car up, but it needs a new transmission and...*I cut him off*
Me: How about next time you lead with the major repair and not 'You're ready to go!' like everything is fine. What is this going to cost me?"
Toyota Service Dept.: "I can put together a quote for you and have it ready when you get here."
Me: *Awkward silence* "I'll be there in a minute. Grrrr."

In the defense of the dealership service department, it was this guy's first day training on the phones. I jokingly let him have it when I got there. His supervisor apologized over an over again. You just gotta laugh some times.

I am getting a second opinion from my regular mechanic, and preparing myself for some $$$ repairs. On the bright side, my mechanic's regular suspension/alignment tech apparently was on vacation when the GX470 came in for an alignment. He's great and has been doing it for 20+ years. He took a look at the GX and told me to bring it in and he would try and align it. He confirmed the suspension is safe for now and may just wear the new tires a little faster if he can't align it. Putting a pause on the GX issues and now on to the 4Runner!

Thank you to everyone that replied and gave suggestions. I really appreciate it!
Man, that's a low blow!

I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion on that one, I'm not a mechanic but it seems wildly unlikely that both your transmission, AND your torque convertor would fail and require replacement at the same time. Almost sounds like they narrowed it down to driveline and decided to just recommend everything be replaced to be safe...
Old 03-22-21, 11:09 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Change your trans fluid first on that 4runner, might solve the issue. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Sell my GX470 or Repair It?!?