GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Would you drive cross-country in your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 01:13 AM
steveo86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you drive cross-country in your GX?

Hello all,

I am in the process of moving things around financially and have decided I've had enough of car payments. So, I am selling my current car (2019 RAV4) and looking to buy something with cash. With my budget of $17,500 or less, I can get a nice reliable Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Subaru (not a WRX unfortunately) all day. But I want something exciting. So I am looking at first generation GX's. The GX checks all my must haves and a few of the wants such as 4x4, towing capacity > 5K lbs, and a sunroof. With my budget and the general age of these cars now, most are 100K miles or more. Since this will be my daily driver and I love to road trip, my question is this. Would you trust your higher mileage GX's to make it from east coast to west coast? Or maybe even, east coast to Alaska? Obviously, I plan to do some maintenance when I purchase the car, fluids, filters, timing belt, etc.

Thanks for your insight and I look forward to getting to know you all.

- Steve
Old 08-20-21, 06:33 AM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a thought. Pick one without a towing hitch so you know the driveline has never been abused.

Not much is gonna do what a GX470 can for the money. Finding one that's had a radiator and complete timing kit done would be smart as well.

I would still use my 4x4 truck to tow long distances, longer wheelbase bigger brakes, will make for a better trip.
Old 08-21-21, 04:51 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

A couple of years ago I drove from Texas to North Carolina, with lots of stuff in the back. No problems or concerns at all.
But .. I maintained it very well for the years prior to that (I didn't buy it new).

If you buy one, be prepared to catch it up on any deferred maintenance that the previous owner didn't do. And repair the common age-related problems like the radiator.

Chip H.
Old 08-21-21, 05:47 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep, as soon as you get it home expect 5k cash maintenance expenses. Timing belt, water pump, radiator, rear air bag replacement are top choices. My 06 has 175k, is slightly lifted and tows a 18 foot lifted camp trailer. It has been amazing but you have to find one that has been taken care of and be able to fund the maintenance needs. I also hate car payments, why pay for something even when it sits in the driveway and isnt being used. But a payment on a newer rig like a GX460 that doesnt use a timing belt could be easier on the bank account. My opinion these older rigs that need large maintenance costs should not be going for the prices they are. You can find a GX460 for 26 to 30 and a good older 470 is 15..
Old 08-21-21, 08:06 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were buying a GX, I would get it inspected at a Lexus dealer to identify all issues. Then take it to your mechanic or to a Toyota dealer for all repairs and maintenance items. I would at least address all issues with brakes, suspension, tires, radiator, spark plugs and get all new fluids (oil, brake, differential, transfer case, transmission, power steering, and coolant). Drive it around for few weeks to make sure everything is OK before taking it on a long trip.
Old 08-21-21, 02:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I’ll be honest, I think people here overinflate how much work you’ll have to do if you get a one that’s been maintained.

Find one that’s been regularly serviced and not owned by either a cheapskate or an idiot, or god forbid both, and it should be a good car.

The following users liked this post:
ljerryd (08-31-21)
Old 08-21-21, 05:42 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

It is a 12+ years old car. A lot of wear-n-tear parts and aging issues need to be taken care. The main concern of my NE region, outdoor park 04 GX is rust related issues. Otherwise it is a great truck. I've recently done a whole underneath rust treatment. Hopefully can keep it running for many more years.

Last edited by tz693; 08-21-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 08:44 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes

I have owned my 2005 GX since I bought it new and now have over 200k mile's on the clock. Yes it is a very reliable drivetrain, yes, stuff will break as it ages and yes, some of that stuff can be expensive. If you have the budget and/or skill set to address the repairs when they occur it is great vehicle.

Old 08-22-21, 06:00 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by mntntrls71
I also hate car payments, why pay for something even when it sits in the driveway and isnt being used. But a payment on a newer rig like a GX460 that doesnt use a timing belt could be easier on the bank account.
That's something I have been thinking about. Not having a car payment has been very nice. But it *is* a 17 year old vehicle. And now that I'm confident that a GX won't be a money pit, buying a new one with borrowed money (since rates are so low right now) would let me amortize it over 15+ years. (Take the pain of having a high payment for 3-4 years, knowing I can keep it for 15)

Chip H.
Old 08-22-21, 10:55 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
I’ll be honest, I think people here overinflate how much work you’ll have to do if you get a one that’s been maintained.

Find one that’s been regularly serviced and not owned by either a cheapskate or an idiot, or god forbid both, and it should be a good car.
Reg service does not include starters, drive shafts, power steering units, airbags, shocks, radiator if it's OEM, etc etc etc. There's a ton of things that will need fixing when a GX470 gets year 15yrs old (if not already fixed by then).

A good bunch of power relays in engine bay box I had to replace over the last 3yrs. They simply wear out and fail w/o warning.
Old 08-24-21, 06:09 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've purchased two GX's in the last year. Both with over 135K.
Timing belt and water pump was completed on the first one right before I purchased. It needed a rear upper tail light (ended up being a broken connector and $5 fix. Air was converted to non air and all that it needed was tires and I replaced the radio with a Phoenix Telsa which gave me rear camera, and other features. So no major issues,
Second one I purchased last week. Here is what it needed. Exhaust pipes and muffler ($262 on Amazon). Front and rear brake pads ($90). Air shocks $135 and an air line for the right side $70. That's it. So not much in the way of work. I will tell you that I looked at a dozen trucks before I bought my newest. All 12 needed a ton of work ranging from suspension to body work to frame work. It's getting harder and harder to find good examples of this truck but they can be found and if you know what you are looking at they won't require a ton of repairs out of the gate.
Old 08-25-21, 11:10 AM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Reg service does not include starters, drive shafts, power steering units, airbags, shocks, radiator if it's OEM, etc etc etc. There's a ton of things that will need fixing when a GX470 gets year 15yrs old (if not already fixed by then).

A good bunch of power relays in engine bay box I had to replace over the last 3yrs. They simply wear out and fail w/o warning.
Any preventive replacement with respect to power relays (anything that should be replaced, before it goes down) to prevent break down while on a trip?
Old 08-25-21, 04:44 PM
steveo86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Yeah, there are definitely things to think about when buying a 13+ year old truck. I'm looking for something that I can daily drive and take on some adventures with my girlfriend in the mountains. A 4th Gen T4R was top of my list, but a 150K+ mile SR5 example sells for as much as a GX now!?! But it sounds like I should budget ~$5K on top of the purchase to make sure things are solid to use it as a daily.
Old 08-26-21, 05:33 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Timing belts are recommended at 90k or 9 years. So of you buy one with 150k you are coming up on the next change and I will bet the prev owner got rid of the car so he didnt have the cost and didnt do the first belt change. Mine had it done at 80k so I did it at 160 along with a water pump. I also have a rx330 and it was traded in at 88k so the prev owner didnt have to spend the out of pocket cost on the 90k service. At Lexus the 90k service on the RX was quoted at 2500 dollars. The toyota dealer did it for 900 and I had them do a bunch more while they were in there just to make sure I wouldnt have issues. The GX is a solid rig, and I have been very impressed. One of my biggest complaint I have is the lack of aftermarket support for accessories. You pay high prices and there are minimal companies selling things for this rig in the US.
Old 08-26-21, 07:14 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I absolutely would, as long as all maintenance is in order, and your vehicle is running good with no unusual noises or vibrations. This engine/transmission combo is just about the best Toyota has ever made. I would even have confidence to drive our sons 2004 with 317,000 miles cross country (though my wife would almost certainly veto that idea).

Quick Reply: Would you drive cross-country in your GX?