GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

vehicle buy back

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 11:22 PM
superted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vehicle buy back

i purchased my gx 4-03 on the premise that it was over 6000#. the car i test drove 2wks befor buying my gx had a sticker on it (6100). unfortunately, my gx's label states its 6000. even the dealers who sold me the gx stated its label was changed to 6100 from a higher number.
has anyone been able to get lexus to buy their vehicle back because of this problem (for a gx purchased after 3-03)?

thanks
Old 09-30-03, 06:23 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

superted,

welcome to ClubLexus. The search function will yield worlds of information for you if you use it. Most of the members here are willing to lend a hand, but some will get a little bit cranky when responding to new members who just start shooting questions from the hip without having read some of the previous posts. The GX forum is actually one of the lower volume forums since the model is so new, so it shouldn't take too long to familiarize yourself with some of the known issues that have already been discussed. You may even get a few ideas or learn something about the GX you didn't already know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hicle+buy+back
Old 09-30-03, 12:29 PM
superted
Driver School Candidate

Default buy back

hello
yes, i have spent many hours reading previous posts. none of them mentioned of lexus buying back a gx model with 6000 # label on it (production date 3/03)
Old 09-30-03, 01:04 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default I understand now

The one you saw was 6100, the one you bought that arrived was recall-adjusted by the dealer prior to your taking delivery. The dealer never mentined to you the 6000 lb adjustment recall (probably assuming you either knew, or weren't affected by it). Thus you are in a position where enough time passed after the recall and notification process, but were, for lack of a better phrase, out of the loop on the issue. You made your purchase post recall and now want to know what recourse you have.

I think that sums it up, but unfortunately have no answer for you. I think the only people that will get the buy back offered to them are the ones who purchased pre-recall. Sorry.
Old 09-30-03, 06:47 PM
calvis
Driver School Candidate

superted,

Did you inform your salesperson that you were going to take advantage of the tax benefits? If you financed the vehicle did you put the vehicle in your company's name? Every salesperson that I deal with I always mention the reason I need the vehcile to be over 6000 lbs. Where I am going with this is that if you somehow give your Lexus dealership a headsup with you intentions of using the vehicle then I think they should accomdate you, but if you are just looking for a way out of your vehicle then I don't think Lexus will do anything for you.

Did you already take the write off for the year 03? If so, then that would make your case stronger.
Old 09-30-03, 11:00 PM
superted
Driver School Candidate

Default vehicle buy back

hello

that essentially sums it up. i told the salesperson i was purchasing the gx because of the tax savings since it was 6100# on the test vehicle. he stated that the labels were incorrect in t he past and the correct one was the 6100# on the vehicle i test drove.
based on this decision, i ordered the gx which i took delivery about 2 weeks later. behold, the label now states 6000#( which i did not notice til about month later).
I trusted the salesperson who stated he was selling me a vehicle with gw of 6100; otherwise, i would have purchased the lx470. i was planning to write it off for the 2003 year.
recourse???? or am i just out of luck?
has anyone encountered a similar problem? great suv (with its little quirks) but i was banking on the tax savings.

thanks
Old 10-01-03, 07:46 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Default just call 1800-24lexus

and see what they say. you should get a call back in a week or so. my first one was bought back in august after I bought it new in january. I didn't need any documentation, I just complained about the effect on my resale value. I bought another one brand new at a huge discount and got the bigger trailer hitch that I wanted to begin with. my first one was stickered at 6100 and the sticker was recalled. you may have a tougher time, unless your salesman admits, or you have proof you were misled. If they know you are going to get an LX, that might help.

BTW, neither of my vehicles had any vibration problems or any of the other stuff people complain about on this board. We love this vehicle.
Old 10-01-03, 10:28 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Default Squiggy

I will return my GX to Lexus within the next two weeks. According to Lexus CS, the GX with GVWR > 6000 lbs will be in the US next week but KDSS and rear camera won’t be available until Jan. I don’t need the KDSS b/c I am very satisfied with the ride of my current GX. So, I have decided to buy another GX with GVWR > 6000 lbs after I return the current GX to Lexus.

Could you please let me know how much discount you received for your second GX?
LexusUS.com lists $3500 off MSRP, I don't think I can get a deal like that with my local dealer.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-03, 10:53 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Default that's the exact discount that I got

but I had to shop several dealers to get it. Also, I got rid of Lexus Link, which refunded another $1200.
So I pocketed a nice chunk'O'change, plus 7K miles of free driving. There were no discounts
to be found back in Jan 03. I had ordered it in early Dec 02.
Old 10-01-03, 10:57 AM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem...a GX 470 labled 6000 lbs. (post 3/03 production). It was marketed as 6100 lbs. and I bought it for the section 179 tax write-off. Since the vehicle was in fact only 6000 lbs. GVWR, I argued with Lexus customer service and they stepped up to the plate and agreed to buy the vehicle back. I returned it about 3 weeks ago and it is as if I never bought it. I applaud Lexus customer service for their handling of this situation. I would have bought another GX but could never get Lexus to admit to increasing the GVWR until after I had already ordered a different vehicle (VW Touareg, GVWR 6400 lbs.). If this order gets dragged out too far, I still may purchase another GX since Lexus now claims that starting with the November 03 production, all GX 470's will be heavier than 6000 lbs. GVWR.

Ed
Old 10-01-03, 03:05 PM
calvis
Driver School Candidate

Hey JocDoc,

I am struggling with either purchasing the VW Touareg or GX470. Did it bother you that the Touareg did not have a 3rd row seat or a DVD entertainment system? What were the pluses for you to consider the Touareg?
Old 10-01-03, 05:49 PM
superted
Driver School Candidate

Jocdoc
who did you talk with at lexus? I called today and they said essentially too bad.
Old 10-01-03, 06:35 PM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Hey Calvis, When I bought my GX, I got the 3rd row seats even though I was never planning to use them. In fact, I put them in the basement the day I brought the vehicle home. I was told that it would be better for resale to have them. All my children are adult and away from home so it's just me and the wife. We certainly don't need a 3rd row of seats! We never sit in the back so a rear seat DVD system is of no value. That's one of the things appealling about the Touareg, no 3rd row! I'm also divesting myself of a 2002 Mercedes SLK 32. The Touareg will replace the lost SUV and the 310 horses and 6 speed tiptronic will replace the sports car.

Ed
Old 10-01-03, 06:39 PM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Superted, I was persistent in talking wilh Lexus customer service at the 800 number. I was firm but never rude, and I appreciated their concern. It took several weeks of discussion, but they finally saw it my way. LOL!

Ed
Old 10-01-03, 06:42 PM
superted
Driver School Candidate

thanks
i will try giving them a call again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: vehicle buy back