GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replaced both air springs and the ride is bumpier now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 04:48 PM
lexus1789
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced both air springs and the ride is bumpier now?

So my GX with 180k miles got both air springs replaced and now the ride seems off? On smooth roads it seems better, but any car rides good on smooth roads. It's on slightly bumpy roads and moderate potholes/bumps where the car seems to jostle you around a lot more and on highway bumps especially. Before I got them replaced I could notice a distinct difference between the modes for the suspension but today I tried to notice a difference and could not besides slight difference that I considered to be placebo. Now it feels like it's permanently stuck on sport mode. I don't know if the system was not calibrated or if it's an electrical problem. Any tips are much appreciated.

Last edited by lexus1789; 08-31-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 10:08 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

You replaced the rear air bags or the adjustable shock absorbers?
Old 09-01-21, 04:30 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Yep, I experienced the same when I replaced the air bags with regular springs. My wife hated it so I put new air bags in and it is back to being smoother.
Old 09-02-21, 07:25 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus1789
So my GX with 180k miles got both air springs replaced and now the ride seems off? On smooth roads it seems better, but any car rides good on smooth roads. It's on slightly bumpy roads and moderate potholes/bumps where the car seems to jostle you around a lot more and on highway bumps especially. Before I got them replaced I could notice a distinct difference between the modes for the suspension but today I tried to notice a difference and could not besides slight difference that I considered to be placebo. Now it feels like it's permanently stuck on sport mode. I don't know if the system was not calibrated or if it's an electrical problem. Any tips are much appreciated.
If you haven't touched the adjustable shocks then it could be time to replace those. They help to absorb bumps and make it a much smoother bounce.
Old 09-02-21, 07:28 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Yep, I experienced the same when I replaced the air bags with regular springs. My wife hated it so I put new air bags in and it is back to being smoother.
It sounds like he's replaced his old airbags with new airbags, not the same situation.
Old 09-02-21, 02:34 PM
lexus1789
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by se7enine
You replaced the rear air bags or the adjustable shock absorbers?
Yes, it was the air springs. that’ that’s why I’m so confused. I don’t know if I was driving with leaking air for so long that I got used to it but this doesn’t seem like a ride Lexus would approve of.
Old 09-02-21, 04:43 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Have someone take the shocks off and see if they are shot. Bad shocks will cause you to loose traction on rough areas. That's not safe.

Remember shocks control springs so we don't bounce off the road.
Old 09-04-21, 06:44 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

If the shocks are bad enough, long enough, you'll see stripes on the tire tread from where it wore from bouncing against the pavement.

Chip H.
Old 09-04-21, 02:54 PM
lexus1789
Driver School Candidate

After looking under the car I noticed that they didnt use OEM air springs but rather Arnott air springs. Could this be the reason its lost the Lexus ride?
Old 09-06-21, 06:38 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSteamer
Have someone take the shocks off and see if they are shot. Bad shocks will cause you to loose traction on rough areas. That's not safe.

Remember shocks control springs so we don't bounce off the road.
In my experience, if you remove 15 year old factory shocks to test them...they aren't going back in. I've always had to cut the top shafts as the hardware has rusted to it.
Old 09-06-21, 11:30 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
In my experience, if you remove 15 year old factory shocks to test them...they aren't going back in. I've always had to cut the top shafts as the hardware has rusted to it.
Agreed…I was never able to loosen bolts….just cut them out…if there is no sign of leakage….they may not be great…but most likely operational…
Old 09-07-21, 04:57 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Arnott are fine for replacement air springs. Is the car riding lower than normal in the back? If so, wonder if the lines have a leak in them or if the compressor is shot.
Old 09-07-21, 04:57 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by IanB2
It sounds like he's replaced his old airbags with new airbags, not the same situation.
Yep, you are right..,. No the same as my situation.
Old 09-18-21, 10:22 AM
Hog300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced air springs with factory lexus, replaced rear shock absorbers with LUFT MEISTER, and replaced the compressor with a Docas brand. After researching those replacement brands the reviews looked positive. I spend the whole day replacing all these parts. Compressor has one bolt that is hard to reach being blocked by the dryer unit --- that job SUCKED. Then I moved to the shocks which are rusted on like they are wielded to the frame. Finally torqued the bolt until it broke at the top -- again that job SUCKED! Replacing the air springs was not that bad of a job but getting the lines disconnected can slow you down. After all the time and effort the damn thing rides like a log truck! The back end is bouncing like a basketball. I got mad and just let it sit the night. I'm pretty sure the compressor did not engage on my test drive. The ride height switch will not move out of the "N" setting but the "off" will switch back and forth like normal. Is there any tricks like you have to perform when you replace the battery to make the power window switches sync up to reset the compressor? I'm gonna climb back under and make sure all the electrical power connections are tight and plugged together properly at the compressor. Any suggestions? The fuses under the dash and under the hood all look to be good. I was so excited to get it back and running with new parts and then deflated when it was not fixed. I appreciate any insight or suggestions!
Old 09-20-21, 08:56 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Were you able to confirm your compressor turned on and pressurized the air springs to proper ride height and then maintain the height (no air leaks in the lines/connectors)? When I had an air leak (at the bag), my car bounced around like crazy also.

Quick Reply: Replaced both air springs and the ride is bumpier now?