GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

04 GX 470 Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 07:32 AM
nordajmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GX 470 Rust

I’m looking at a 2004 Lexus GX 470 that has 125,000 miles on it for $11,500. Overall it appears to be in good shape with a good service record. However, there is quite a lot of rust on the undercarriage (see attached pictures). I even noticed some rust that appears to have corroded the frame, which is concerning. What’s more, the rust appears to be everywhere, almost as if the vehicle had been submerged in water often. This GX’s history has been in Minnesota so rust is not surprising, but I don’t want to buy a vehicle that is structurally compromised. I know there are several rust threads on this forum, but any advice on this particular vehicle would be much appreciated!

Old 10-02-21, 08:21 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Only a screw driver and a hammer can answer the big question. After being an owner and on this forum for so long…the next question buyers need to ask…how long will I be owning this truck…14 mpg, V-8, things are starting to change in the transportation industry.
Old 10-02-21, 08:46 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Can't buy this car with low 125k miles down here in FL for anywhere that cheap but I think I see why the price is low lookin at the pics.

That much rust scares me.
Old 10-02-21, 09:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,841 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I would never buy that.
Old 10-03-21, 07:17 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

The problem with rust is it makes many jobs under the truck much harder than they needed to be, a truck this old is going to have some worn out parts despite the low mileage...I'm seeing cracked bushings on top of the rear shocks due to age in your pics for example, there will be other bushings that are worn as well.

I also have an '04, and I also live in the rust belt, mine was nearly that crusty underneath as well, and last fall I spent about 18 hours underneath using a needle scaler to remove the rust, then a 3 stage rust conversion/sealer/chassis paint system to protect it from further rust. I had a hole rusted through in the frame just in front of the passenger rear tire, so I had to have a patch plate welded in as well. It was a LOT of work and the truck didn't drive any differently after, but I'd already owned the truck for 8 years and was attached, much of this rust would have happened while I was the owner. I think I'd pass on buying one that was already in that shape.

I've also had to replace a fuel tank strap that had rusted through, leaving the tank supported by the skid plate...that wasn't a real fun job either.
The following users liked this post:
Howay (10-04-21)
Old 10-03-21, 03:16 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Pass on that one! 3rd photo upper right leads me to believe chunks are gonna be falling off a lot! Sure the miles and price are fair , but not for that condition!!!

Wait and pick a garaged kept one that checks out well. Even if its a few thousand more! That's nearly 20 years old now! An 08 or 09 with 150,000 should really be under 15 grand anywhere. Don't let sellers , laugh all the way to the bank!

Old 10-05-21, 02:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSteamer
Pass on that one! 3rd photo upper right leads me to believe chunks are gonna be falling off a lot! Sure the miles and price are fair , but not for that condition!!!

Wait and pick a garaged kept one that checks out well. Even if its a few thousand more! That's nearly 20 years old now! An 08 or 09 with 150,000 should really be under 15 grand anywhere. Don't let sellers , laugh all the way to the bank!
Fastbook shows auction prices for 08/09s even with that mileage pulling high teens, prices have gone through the roof.

I got offered black 23k for our 2009 with 85k miles from a stranger in a parking lot walking out of the grocery store. You guys may not like it, but these are getting expensive, but for how long, who knows.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXGS:
IanB2 (10-06-21), Margate330 (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 08:25 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
Fastbook shows auction prices for 08/09s even with that mileage pulling high teens, prices have gone through the roof.

I got offered black 23k for our 2009 with 85k miles from a stranger in a parking lot walking out of the grocery store. You guys may not like it, but these are getting expensive, but for how long, who knows.
I live in S Florida and just like to give everyone a heads up looking to buy a "Forida car" thinking it will be rust free.

The last three GX470's I checked out were pulled down here from up north and had the sky high Florida price tag $$$ on it.
Don't know if they are pulling them from auctions and transporting down here because of the demand or a mix of snow bird trade-ins.
Prices are ridiculous especially down here so plz check carfax to see where the car lived and don't only go by the state it is offered for sale.

And if can't view the car in person I would want lots of pics of undercarriage because of the occasional flooded/stolen & dunked cars.
Old 10-06-21, 06:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSteamer

It's a seller's market right now, demand for anything Toyota 4x4 has spiked hard over the past year or so. Buying one of these trucks was a very different game 3+ years ago, you could take your time, be picky, and the right truck WOULD present itself eventually.

Boats, ATV's, snowmobiles, if it's fun, it's more expensive than before. Microchip shortages have decimated availability of new vehicles, as a result there's more buyers in the used market than ever before.
Old 10-06-21, 01:47 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Used vehicle market is up. Makes sense, new inventory is low and the makers too are demanding ridiculous prices, often MSRP or above. A new van 2yrs ago I was looking at was 29k (about 5k under MSRP), same exact van today(2021) and they want 36k, about 2k over MSRP !!

I just sticking with my GX and fixing it as needed for now. Parts are fairly cheap so far, availability of parts may become an issue.
Old 10-07-21, 03:13 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I live in S Florida and just like to give everyone a heads up looking to buy a "Forida car" thinking it will be rust free.

The last three GX470's I checked out were pulled down here from up north and had the sky high Florida price tag $$$ on it.
Don't know if they are pulling them from auctions and transporting down here because of the demand or a mix of snow bird trade-ins.
Prices are ridiculous especially down here so plz check carfax to see where the car lived and don't only go by the state it is offered for sale.

And if can't view the car in person I would want lots of pics of undercarriage because of the occasional flooded/stolen & dunked cars.
Solid advice. Even still...You have to know how to look a used car over Anything above the salt belt is hit or miss on how well the owner took care of the undercarriage. A good undercarriage wash a week after the State sprays and salts in the winter can reduce the chance of heavy corrosion. You can sometimes look at the condition of the wheels and know right then the 1st owner just didn't care to remove salt. If the wheels are bad, the need to crawl under is more important.
I feel sorry for todays buyers that pay premium prices on GX's that need more maintenance done than they can afford to keep up with. Buyers need to beware of anything sitting on a 3rd rate lot!