GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Street Rays Lift Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22 | 11:27 AM
Khartig
Rookie

Default Street Rays Lift Spacers

I'm looking to put a 1.5" spacer left on the front of my 08 GX470 but am having a hard time finding spacer that list the GX as a fitment. Does anyone know for sure if the ones made by Streetrays for the 03-18 4 Runner will work? I've seen posts from people that have used some from Streetrays but they didn't say which ones. Thanks in advance for the help. These are the ones I'm looking at https://www.streetrays.com/streetray...er-tacoma.html
Old 01-12-22 | 03:11 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

If they fit the Toyota 6-lug truck pattern and are of good quality, they should work.
However, their photo does not look correct. I would call and ask.

Chip H.
Old 01-12-22 | 03:27 PM
Khartig
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
If they fit the Toyota 6-lug truck pattern and are of good quality, they should work.
However, their photo does not look correct. I would call and ask.

Chip H.
These are lift spacers that go on top of the struts. You're thinking wheel spacers.
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (01-12-22)
Old 01-13-22 | 04:55 AM
Jpilot
Pit Crew

Aside from the body itself, the frame and running gear are all 4th gen 4runner parts. I have done many suspension lifts and mods on both, completely interchangeable.
Old 01-13-22 | 06:13 AM
Khartig
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jpilot
Aside from the body itself, the frame and running gear are all 4th gen 4runner parts. I have done many suspension lifts and mods on both, completely interchangeable.
I thought that was the case, but this set had me wondering since they cover 4th and 5th gen.
Old 01-13-22 | 06:36 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

The e-adjustable shocks is one other key difference between the GX470's and the 4th gen 4Runners, and may come into play with a front spacer lift, especially if it installs on top of the tophat of the strut assembly, rather than on top of the spring within the assembly. I can see the solenoid not engaging to the adjuster on top of the strut properly/at all if you add a spacer between the top hat and the strut mount, as the solenoid is on top of the strut mount. It's been a few years since I've had that system on my truck though, and I can't remember exactly how it all goes together.
Old 01-13-22 | 06:46 AM
Khartig
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanB2
The e-adjustable shocks is one other key difference between the GX470's and the 4th gen 4Runners, and may come into play with a front spacer lift, especially if it installs on top of the tophat of the strut assembly, rather than on top of the spring within the assembly. I can see the solenoid not engaging to the adjuster on top of the strut properly/at all if you add a spacer between the top hat and the strut mount, as the solenoid is on top of the strut mount. It's been a few years since I've had that system on my truck though, and I can't remember exactly how it all goes together.
From what I've been able to gather from across the web, 1.5" is the tallest you can use with the solenoid with no issues. A 2" will require modifying the bracket to get it to fit back on. Hopefully this is true.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22 | 06:57 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I'll be the guy to say it...the ride quality with a spacer lift is going to suck compared to using a lift spring. Since you'll need an alignment after installing the spacer, you should seriously consider just using a spring that will achieve your goal instead of a spacer.

It's a bit more $$ up front, but you'll be happy you spent it the entire time you're driving around lifted.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:20 AM
Khartig
Rookie

I'll be the guy to say it...the ride quality with a spacer lift is going to suck compared to using a lift spring. Since you'll need an alignment after installing the spacer, you should seriously consider just using a spring that will achieve your goal instead of a spacer.

It's a bit more $$ up front, but you'll be happy you spent it the entire time you're driving around lifted.
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about ride quality, and I know it can be pretty subjective. Most seem to agree that the pre-load type spacers are far worse than the type that sits on top of the mount. Most also say it improves when a taller tire is installed, which I plan on doing.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:26 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Khartig
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about ride quality, and I know it can be pretty subjective. Most seem to agree that the pre-load type spacers are far worse than the type that sits on top of the mount. Most also say it improves when a taller tire is installed, which I plan on doing.
Taller tires definitely help soak up the bumps, just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open.
Old 01-13-22 | 08:32 AM
Khartig
Rookie

Taller tires definitely help soak up the bumps, just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open.
Most certainly, and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.