GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LX 470 and GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 05:05 AM
peterstacy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LX 470 and GX 470

Hello all, I am looking at buying a GX 470 now but in the begining I was all for the LX 470 until I did some homework and found out how much cheaper the GX is??? Why is this for all I can tell they are almost the same. For those of you that have a GX did you drive the LX and if so why the huge price difference? I would really like to know, I drove the LX and loved it but for the money the GX from what I can see should be just the same...or am I wrong? One more thing is the blizzard white color on the GX even close to the pearl white paint that is on my 1999 LS 400? Thanks for any help.

Take care,

Peter
Old 10-09-03, 06:40 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

On the LX470, you get the size difference of 1-3 inches, if I'm not mistaken. It is really roomy inside. If you really don't care for the size difference and not to mention the gas mileage, go for the GX. Also if the price difference of $53K and $65k is a big deal, I would stick with the gx. good luck in your decision.
Old 10-10-03, 10:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Better yet

The 4Runner offers the same Engine/Transmission as both of those and it's even cheaper still!
Old 10-10-03, 11:28 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the gx is soo much nicer then the 4runner
i didnt like the 4 runner ac guages and then the cd holder crap thing below the ac controls.. the nav was fine.. but no "i am hungry" voice activation other things i noticed no dual dc power outlets and some other things
Old 10-11-03, 06:18 PM
peterstacy
Rookie

Thanks for the imput, ordered a 04 GX 470 today. Only have to wait 3 to 4 months for delivery!
Old 10-12-03, 01:25 AM
GSX4
Rookie

Congrats on your decision. I tell ya, the GX drives really nice. I did alot research before getting one. The GX & LX are actually very different and GX & 4Runner are very similar. LX engine offers VVT-i which is not on the GX. GX shares its engine with the 4Runner and Sequoia. But the built and suspension is where the GX and Toyotas seperates. Fit & finished is no question that Lexus is second to none. The GX and the LX actually does not share any parts, even most of the mechanics. LX is a tougher truck and offers less headrooms, but more shoulder space. LX is built to last, let's see how the GX does as we go. But for $20K less, I'll take my chance. So good choice on your decision.
Old 10-12-03, 01:05 PM
peterstacy
Rookie

Smile 04 GX 470 Blizzard White

I am sure the GX will hold up just like all Lexus autos, I hope I am really excited..but kinda bummed having to wait 3 to 4 months just because I did not want to waste 2,030 bucks on the useless 3rd row seat, sales man seemed upset that I didn't mind waiting 3 or 4 months? And he about **** when I told him that I didn't want their 232.00 package that consisted of 4 locking lugnuts a cargo net and a mat of some form or another...Guess he thought I was a cheapskate or something but hey jerky, its my money and if I don't want it I don't want it, guys an ***.
Old 10-12-03, 04:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No VVT-i

Gilbert, the LX does NOT have VVT-i. Actually the only Toyota truck motor to have VVTi is the new V6 of the 4Runner. Currently, the LX/Land Cruiser/GX/4Runner all share the 4.7Liter V8 paired with the 5 speed automatic. The Sequoia and Tundra pair the V8 with a 4 speed automatic.
Old 10-12-03, 05:30 PM
GSX4
Rookie

pbm317, my apology. I just looked at my note and Lexus web-site. You are right, LX does not have VVT-i. My GS has it. Thanks for correcting.
Old 10-13-03, 07:45 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Hey gilbert - how is the LX a "tougher truck"? Both trucks are based on the land cruiser. The LX is based on the american version and the GX is based on the european land cruiser prado. Is the LX tougher because it's bigger? Because it's slower? Because it's an older deisgn? I have to say - it's a personal call but the GX is just a "tough" as an LX.
Old 10-13-03, 11:06 PM
GSX4
Rookie

177mph, the GX is not based off the landcruiser. It actually share the platform with the 4Runner. According to what's been told to me, LX is a better tougher built truck than the GX. If you look at the two, LX has better clarence. If you drive both, IMO, you feel that the LX has a better suspension and the body seem more rigid. Again, it's just my opinion. Correct me if I wrong. I hope I have not offended anyone.
Old 10-20-03, 10:58 AM
177mph
Pole Position

No offense taken. The GX and the 4 runner are built on the same platform. That platform is the tundra truck frame and engine. Which also happens to be the same set-up that is underneath the Land Cruiser Prado available in Europe. Which is what our GX is. The LX is based on the land cruiser sold in the US. THe GX is based on the land cruiser prado sold in europe. Check for pictures on the internet. You will see they are basically the same truck.
Old 10-20-03, 11:15 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...rado/body3.jpg

http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...rado/body1.jpg
Old 10-20-03, 11:52 PM
GSX4
Rookie

That I was aware. I knew that the European LandCruiser Prado is the same as our GX. I thought you were refering to the US LandCruiser, which does not derive from the Prado. That was my seperation. It's nice to know that our CL member is very well informed, bravo! Now I know I can depend on everyone here for accurate information. Thansk again.
Old 11-03-03, 08:55 AM
UZJ100
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 177mph
No offense taken. The GX and the 4 runner are built on the same platform. That platform is the tundra truck frame and engine. Which also happens to be the same set-up that is underneath the Land Cruiser Prado available in Europe. Which is what our GX is. The LX is based on the land cruiser sold in the US. THe GX is based on the land cruiser prado sold in europe. Check for pictures on the internet. You will see they are basically the same truck.
Are you sure that the GX and 4Runner are based on the Tundra Platform even though they share the same engine? The Tundra is a 7/8ths full size truck platform that seems to be geared towards comfortable American style highway cruising and towing, while my impression is that GX/4Runner is a smaller global platform that is primarily designed for off-roading and travel through bad roads.

Also the Prado (a.k.a GX) has always been based on a land cruiser chassis (90 series model) with it's own model code (HD90 etc). I've read on some parts catalogues that this generation is referrred to within Toyota as a 120 Series Land Cruiser . This could be confirmed by looking at the VIN information sticker by the door latch of a GX. I know that on my LX it says UJZ100. So having the GX and the 4Runner based on the same chassis would make the latest generation 4Runner a part of the Land Cruiser family, right ?

Last edited by UZJ100; 11-03-03 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: LX 470 and GX 470