GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Third Party Air Springs - Turning air inlet to RIGHT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 04:19 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Party Air Springs - Turning air inlet to RIGHT!

Some months back I purchase rear air springs from AUTOSHACK! I did not need them at the time but the price was very good and I had just purchased a low-mile 2005 GX470!

I am now having leakage issues and want to change out the Air Springs! If they do not hold up then I will probably follow the rest and do spring conversion!

Unboxing the two air springs I remembered that there was only one part number. Appears the inlet for the compressed air moves to a LEFT or RIGHT position (I assume) to install in a LEFT or RIGHT location. The inlet on both springs is in the LEFT direction. I tried to twist one of them to face RIGHT with my hands but NO GO!

Has anyone installed these types of Air Springs? If so how did you turn the inlet?

Appreciate the support.

Old 07-03-22, 05:13 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

What does Autoshack say?

I used Arnott bags years ago, no issues.

Yours look like plastic, but Autoshack has ones that are metal.
What model or part number did you buy?

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Lexus4321; 07-03-22 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 04:46 AM
Tinggi
Driver

Autoshack suggested I talk to a mechanic?! I reminded them that they are selling a product and do not know how it works! No response.

My first choice was Arnott but as I said the price for these was right and the reviews, for what they are worth, were very good.

At the time of purchase, I did not look to see if there were others in their product line (metal vs plastic)

PN:KASA3951

It appears DORMAN is selling a similar design in their product line. PN: 949-451 (I have sent DORMAN a note asking for instructions to change the inlet direction as well).

It looks like the Air Spring type is sold by a few companies so it is not an AutoShack exclusive.

At the end of the day,

this may be one of those 'Lessons Learned' situations.
Old 07-04-22, 01:29 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I replaced both airbags about 2 years ago. That valve is not rotatable. You should have received one pointing to L and a second airbag pointing to R.
Old 07-04-22, 08:07 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Well, that makes sense now!!!

Will call and see if I can get it changed out. Ordering there was only one PN so I guessed the inlet turned. NOT THE CASE.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-22, 08:08 PM
Tinggi
Driver

How have the airbags performed? Are you OK with them?
Old 07-05-22, 03:28 AM
NTH
Instructor

They were fine, performed as designed. However I recently completed a Dobinsons IMS suspension coil conversion. No more airbags
Old 07-15-22, 06:12 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default Autoshack Response

So I explained the issue to Autoshack and they said to rotate the airspring with the inlet facing left and install it.

Correct me if I am wrong but 1) the slot in the upper cradle will not allow an air inlet facing the incorrect direction through and 2) it would require bending the airline which I would guess may be tough!?!?!?

Am I correct?
Old 07-16-22, 09:15 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinggi
So I explained the issue to Autoshack and they said to rotate the airspring with the inlet facing left and install it.

Correct me if I am wrong but 1) the slot in the upper cradle will not allow an air inlet facing the incorrect direction through and 2) it would require bending the airline which I would guess may be tough!?!?!?

Am I correct?
I think you are correct, the bags only fit in one way. Even if you rotate the bag 180° to change direction of the air inlet fitting, that fitting is now located in wrong position across the diameter of that upper plastic section. AND, the bags have an alignment tang on top, so they only go in one way.

Wondering why the plastic upper has a Left and Right label on it for? I wonder if that fitting locks in with an oring for sealing? I looked online at Autoshack site, they have three air bag #'s, one being KAS73T17RL which is a "driver side" bag and looks like a metal top. The other two are your # as single unit or pair. The pair pics show what looks like the fitting being oriented the same direction, which is not correct.

I suspect that air inlet fitting can be rotated, but it may be a twist-lok style fitting, hence the folks at Autoshack need to tell you how that fitting works. If you look where the bottom of the fitting meets the upper plastic does it appear to be two pieces or like the fitting was inserted into a hole?

To me, it looks like two pieces and that inlet fitting can either just rotate to other position, or it's some type of twist-lok that you can take out and rotate 180°.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 07-16-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 01:22 PM
NTH
Instructor

As I have previously stated, the left/right inlet valve is non-rotatable. Autoshack failed to send you the correct left/right combo. Both airbags have the same number because they’re sold as a unit. The only way to change the direction of the valve is to unfasten the band clamp, and service the valve from the inside. With the amount of pressure inside the bags, I’m certain the valve is secured to the top lid from underneath. Here’s a pic of mine.
I would demand a proper replacement or refund. If they refuse, dispute it with your credit card co.

Last edited by NTH; 07-16-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 03:31 PM
Tinggi
Driver

After the first response they gave, suggesting I just turn them around, I reiterated that the units can not just be turned around and that the inlet valve must point RIGHT on one and LEFT on the other for them to work!

The person I was talking to said she would send the case to fitment and it would take a couple of days to have a response.

I am hoping someone in Autoshack knows how these air springs work and the product they are selling.

Normally I would not put this in a forum but this information may help someone out there when they are considering third-party air springs.

I am confident this will work out.

Appreciate your comments.

Old 07-16-22, 03:44 PM
Tinggi
Driver

NTH do you by chance have a picture of the air spring with the inlet pointing right?
Old 07-16-22, 04:40 PM
NTH
Instructor

Sure. I’ll take a pic later when I’m home. All you’ll see is the valve pointing the other direction.
Old 07-16-22, 04:48 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Thinking it may help to prove my point that the RIGHT facing inlet is required along wit the LEFT facing inlets.
Old 07-17-22, 01:10 PM
NTH
Instructor

Sorry my friend I got tied up with a CV axle replacement on my daughter’s car. Here you go…

Quick Reply: Third Party Air Springs - Turning air inlet to RIGHT!