GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Attaching Body Mounts to Frame Due to Rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 09:21 AM
sashap123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching Body Mounts to Frame Due to Rust

Hi Club Lexus folks,

First time posting so bear with me if my formatting is off. I have a 2004 GX470 with some rust. The worst of the rust is at the body frame mounts (front/mid ones right behind the front tires). Specifically the body above the mounts is what has been rusted out. The frame-side mounts are still in tact. I am wondering what the best way to apply a repair would be. Re-welding and fabricating a new "deck" on the body that resembles how the body was constructed from factory seems like it would be very difficult and expensive (I have no welder nor welding experience, would have to hire a professional). I am considering two alternative repairs, but want some feedback on whether they are a good or bad idea:

1. I want to purchase a C-shaped steel pipe and bolt it to the body at the frame mount point and about 1.5-2 feet down the body, bolted at several spots with bushings, washers, anti-rust protection, silicone sealant, etc. I will then attach the frame mounts to this C-pipe.

2. I just attach the frame mounts straight to the body above the rusted "deck", same process of using bushings, washers, anti-rust protection etc.

This "deck" that I am referring to is what I believe is the rocker panel. It is the beam that goes all the way down the sides of the vehicle, where these front frame mounts are bolted to. The running boards are bolted to this same beam as well. Mine is rusted at the first 1.5 ish feet near the front mounts and the rear foot near the rear/mid mounts in front of the rear tires (although these rear/mid mounts are offset towards the middle of the car, so there is no loss in the structural rigidity of those mounts).

I'm not really looking for input on whether this is a better idea than welding the bar, I really don't want to weld. I am more asking if the body will be able to handle either a 1.5-2 foot C-pipe bolted to it at a few spots with the frame mounts then bolted to it, or whether the body would withstand the frame mount bolted directly to it at a single spot (preferred choice as it is simpler). I assume Lexus attached the frame to this rocker panel/deck for some reason rather than directly to the body; however currently these mounts are essentially pressed against the body due to the collapsed section of the panel, and there don't seem to be any signs of denting or give, so it seems to me that the body is solid enough to handle the load of these mounts.

This is a New England GX with 240k miles, so I am definitely not trying to turn it into a perfect show car, just want it to be structurally sound.

Pictures are below, thank you all!

Old 12-21-22, 02:18 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Good luck sir, that's way beyond my pay grade to comment on.

I encourage you to seek out a couple of qualified professionals and have some conversations with them about your options.
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (12-21-22)
Old 12-21-22, 06:15 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

I don't know how many car buyers ever really look underneath at the frame of a car they are contemplating buying, probably few, unless they take it to a mechanic for a complete check over first. I would never buy a car from anywhere but the southern states, which eliminates that problem. My current Lexus was 5 years old when I got it, but was from southern California. No problem unless it's located in a seaside home.

--
Old 12-21-22, 07:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Time to part that out or send it straight to the salvage yard.
Old 12-22-22, 07:27 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

This is what I did. So sure if it will last. Just eased a mind.

Old 12-23-22, 09:06 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

Disclaimer: I have no experience with rust like that.
But it looks like the body has rusted, not the frame (at least the part shown in the photos). So you're probably looking at lifting the body off the frame so the tech can gain access to that part of the sheet metal.
On pickups and Corvettes this is easy because the wiring & plumbing were designed for that. No idea if the GX/4Runner family was built with the same consideration.

Chip H.