GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

TPMS - Questions and Comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 07:49 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
These guys are really cool. He spent over an hour diagnosing and resetting using his scanning tool. Problem seems to have gone away for now 🤞

I’m in Howard county so please send me name of the tire shop and any other mechanic or custom shop that you recommend in DMV area. Would be super helpful as I need a mechanic I can trust and use the parts that I provide.
My tire mounting place is Albright Service Center in Elkridge. For mechanicals beyond my skills I’m also searching for a good mechanic.
Old 08-16-21, 02:14 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tire pressure app

Is there an app or an aftermarket thing that I can use to read tire pressure from all 5 TPMS? My TPMS keeps acting up once in a while with a warning light on dash that flickers and then becomes solid. Instead of stopping in the middle of a trip to manually check tire pressure, it would be convenient to find out though some sort of an app or a tool while driving. My other car displays it on dash and wish GX did too.

I got all 5 sensors replaced 6 months ago with aftermarket ones from a reputable tire shop. Despite trying their best to reset them, I keep getting the tire pressure warning light once in a while which is nerve racking especially on long trips and remote areas.
Old 08-16-21, 02:49 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

If you got them from Discount Tire, their sensors are "so-so".
They only alert when pressures are below their internal setting, so the car can't know what the pressure actually is.

What pressure are you running at? I've had best results when I had Michelins at 2 psi over what the door jamb sticker says. Now that I have all-terrains, I run at 40 psi.

Chip H.
Old 08-16-21, 03:14 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

As old school as the system on our GX is, I much prefer this to the more advanced systems found on newer cars. My ‘19 Tacoma displays the actual reading of each tire, and all that did was drove my OCD in high gear. I was constantly trying to get all 4 to read the same psi (which is nearly impossible after driving). Ugh!!
Old 08-16-21, 06:00 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chiph9
If you got them from Discount Tire, their sensors are "so-so".
They only alert when pressures are below their internal setting, so the car can't know what the pressure actually is.

What pressure are you running at? I've had best results when I had Michelins at 2 psi over what the door jamb sticker says. Now that I have all-terrains, I run at 40 psi.

Chip H.
I have 285/70/17 Wildpeak AT3W and the pressure on all 4 is set at 36 PSI. The spare is new...forgot the size, but I got the largest size that could fit in the spare closest to 285/70 - that too is also set at 36. Maybe I should consider 40 PSI like you suggested and see how it drives - will do some research.
Old 08-16-21, 06:06 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NTH
As old school as the system on our GX is, I much prefer this to the more advanced systems found on newer cars. My ‘19 Tacoma displays the actual reading of each tire, and all that did was drove my OCD in high gear. I was constantly trying to get all 4 to read the same psi (which is nearly impossible after driving). Ugh!!
As soon as the light comes on it is nerve racking especially on long trips with family. I have to take the closest exit and check pressure on all tires to ensure that the pressure is fine. Half of the time the light goes away next time I start the car. If the pressure was displayed on the dash, I'd keep it on until I get home for peace of mind.
Old 08-17-21, 02:32 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matsui
I have 285/70/17 Wildpeak AT3W and the pressure on all 4 is set at 36 PSI. The spare is new...forgot the size, but I got the largest size that could fit in the spare closest to 285/70 - that too is also set at 36. Maybe I should consider 40 PSI like you suggested and see how it drives - will do some research.
I am also on the Wildpeaks. I emailed Falken to ask for a recommended tire pressure but never heard back. The 40 psi seems to work - driving across the dusty garage floor shows good coverage on the tread.

Chip H.

Old 08-17-21, 05:32 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I am also on the Wildpeaks. I emailed Falken to ask for a recommended tire pressure but never heard back. The 40 psi seems to work - driving across the dusty garage floor shows good coverage on the tread.

Chip H.
What changes have you noticed by going up to 40 psi? I might try it before going on a road trip next week.
Old 08-19-21, 06:17 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

A little less noisy since the outer tread blocks aren't hitting the pavement as much. The ride is a bit stiffer too.
Monitor your tire temps (just feel how warm they are). The fronts will be warmer than the rears since they're near the engine and do the steering.

Chip H.
Old 08-21-21, 06:02 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I bypassed my tpms a couple years ago and have not regretted it. My GX tows, goes offroad and is my road trip rig.
The following users liked this post:
LuxDreamer (09-01-21)
Old 08-21-21, 02:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I'm not sure on the 470 but OBD Link on the 460 can read TPMS. I am using their bundled OBD dongle.. not all can read it.

https://www.obdlink.com/support/mxp/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html

Old 08-22-21, 10:52 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, Orange has sensors that can be monitored by a in-vehicle add-on device, smart phone, and I think a dongle device that can hook into a Android tablet if you replaced OEM screen with one of those. I believe the "dongle" device reads the sensors with Rf, and then it's monitored via BT. You then just need to disable the OEM TPMS.
Old 08-31-21, 11:07 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This is incorrect. Although the dash only has an idiot-light, the actual pressure is reported to the pcm and can be read with certain OBD software and a dongle plugged into the OBD port. I use techstream to read my sensors when the light starts flashing, but if for some reason you don't want techstream, there may be other OBD software that can read the tire sensor data.
Old 08-31-21, 04:17 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

That depends on the brand of the sensor. OEM Denso - yes. Cheap Continental brand - no.

Chip H.
Old 08-31-21, 04:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

More than likely on the 470 as well but OBD Link read TPMS pressure and temperature fine on the 460

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html

Quick Reply: TPMS - Questions and Comments