GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

04 GX owners, feedback please on vibration and braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 07:27 AM
morgt0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Vibrations and breaking problems fixed??

For those of you with an 04 GX470, I am wondering if the vibrations and breaking issues (feeling like you got tapped from behind) are fixed? I am working on getting rid of my 03 beacuse of all of the problems (as many of you have as well) and deciding if I should try an 04 GX-470. I really like the truck but not with the two major issues as mentioned above.
Old 10-24-03, 11:49 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03's breaking problem got fixed so I don't think the GX being produced right now will have the same problem.

Actually, it's not a breaking problem. It has something to do with the rear drive shaft. According to my service writer, it's an easy fix.

Don't know about the vibration.

I am in the progress of buy back and I've decided to get a 04GX. Test drove all SUV w/ 3rd row seat, still love GX the most.

I think the next person who owns my current GX must be a lucky one. I babied the vehicle during break-in period and have used Mobil-1 since 1 K service.

Last edited by super_cjc; 10-24-03 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 12:27 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Drive shaft issue

super_cjc,

if you wouldn't mind....next time you are in for service or at the dealer, would you ask the service writer what exactly the "fix" is for the drive shaft clunk? It may be helpful for those who's dealers do not know what the fix is. Thanks.
Old 10-24-03, 08:32 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

I test drove a 04 last week and I can definately confirm that the clunk in the drive shaft and vibration have NOT been fixed. While on the test drive, at the very first stop signal I came to I had a big clunk. This one actually made the salesman turn his head to see if we gor rear ended.
Old 10-26-03, 08:05 PM
rjmespn
Driver School Candidate

Default 04 GX no problems yet!

I just took delivery of my O4 (September build) GX two weeks ago. I took it on a 20 mile test drive by myself before I wrote the check. I tested for all of the problems that I have read about on this site. I found no noise on stoping (very smooth in fact) No vibrations at 1700-2100 rpms (however the hi/lo shifter has vibration if you hold the shifter, that is normal at least on other four wheel drives I have owned) I did not like the Dunlop tires that were on the GX (the AT20's have a very bad wear rating) so I asked the dealer to change to the Michelin Cross Terrains from another GX which he did (keep the customer happy) The Michelin is a far superior tire. longer tread wear rating and better built. The dunlop AT20 has a cushier ride but the Michelin graded out better at the Tire Rack site. I only have 200(city) miles on the truck so I still have to take it through the paces. I would have to say that my 04 GX is right. I would sugest if you are worried about the vibration and the noise after stopping demand a private test drive like I did. This site has been very helpful with the pro's & con's of the GX but if you don't check out everything first hand before you sign the papers you could be sorry. I am very happy with the 04GX and the adjusted GSVW of 6150 will help in the business deduction area . (make sure you read the inside door sticker) I will post again after 1000 miles, It's hard to find fault when you are hit with that "new car smell" every time you take it out....
Old 10-26-03, 09:14 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: 04 GX no problems yet!

Originally posted by rjmespn
I just took delivery of my O4 (September build) GX two weeks ago. I took it on a 20 mile test drive by myself before I wrote the check. I tested for all of the problems that I have read about on this site. I found no noise on stoping (very smooth in fact) No vibrations at 1700-2100 rpms (however the hi/lo shifter has vibration if you hold the shifter, that is normal at least on other four wheel drives I have owned) I did not like the Dunlop tires that were on the GX (the AT20's have a very bad wear rating) so I asked the dealer to change to the Michelin Cross Terrains from another GX which he did (keep the customer happy) The Michelin is a far superior tire. longer tread wear rating and better built. The dunlop AT20 has a cushier ride but the Michelin graded out better at the Tire Rack site. I only have 200(city) miles on the truck so I still have to take it through the paces. I would have to say that my 04 GX is right. I would sugest if you are worried about the vibration and the noise after stopping demand a private test drive like I did. This site has been very helpful with the pro's & con's of the GX but if you don't check out everything first hand before you sign the papers you could be sorry. I am very happy with the 04GX and the adjusted GSVW of 6150 will help in the business deduction area . (make sure you read the inside door sticker) I will post again after 1000 miles, It's hard to find fault when you are hit with that "new car smell" every time you take it out....
I'm sincerely happy for you in that your GX is not exhibiting the problems. However, please keep in mind that in many cases, the problems did not begin till somewhere around 1k miles. So I would say you are not in the clear yet.

But I do hope you are one of the few lucky ones.
Old 10-27-03, 04:03 AM
morgt0
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the insight. I too agree with DSW-my 03 GX-470 didn't inhibit any prolems until about 2,000 miles. Hopefully you have a good one.

Johnny Mo: The fix from my dealer on the brake problem was to keep the vehicle for 3 days and re-machine the drive shaft (I think make the junction smaller) so that it would not get stuck in the transfer case when the breaks are applied. However, they made it better with this fix but the problem is still there.

I have a meeting with the GM of Sales at my dealer, the service manager, and the district manager in Novemeber to review my problems, test drive the car, and decide what will make me happy as a customer!! (not holding my breath). Not sure if they offer me another GX (04) if I would take it. Seems like Lexus is not addressing these issues-do they feel that because the GX is a step down from the LX that the quality can be less???
Old 10-27-03, 05:13 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customer Service refuses buy back

Customer Service contacted me on Saturday. To bring you all up to speed, I have been working with them to find out answers to my list of problems. Here they are..
[list=1][*]Transmission doubleshifts. When cold, place the vehicle in reverse, backup, and place vehicle in drive. Vehicle sounds like it shifts, you apply gas, and the vehicle then clunks into drive. If you wait several seconds (count to three) then you are safe. This is not normal and happens when temperature is below 45[*]Driveline vibration between 55-75. Requires about 10-20% throttle (normal flat road driving)[*]Coolant smell after stopping the vehicle. There must be a leak around the engine seal[*]Clunking feeling when stopping[*]Suspension bottoms out, unstable during braking, sways on highway[*]Transmission downshifts unexpectedly. As a driver I should always know when this "feature" should kick in. Plus, because it shifts down, when taking a turn (typically right/90deg), applying light throttle out of the turn causes the vehicle to lunge forward because it is unexpectedly in 1st gear instead of 2nd.[*]Navigation system bugs. Cannot turn off voice. You must turn the volume down each time. Screen always boots up to Nav requiring I Agree. It should come up to where ever you left it, i.e. Radio or Climate Control.[/list=1]

Because of a mixup where the sales person told me I could get a tow hitch afterwards and at the time I could not, the dealership made good to help me into another GX in July. First vehicle was picked up the begining of January. Both vehicles exhibiting the same problems.

When Lexus called, they first identified my issues as "vehicle defects". But then they proceeded to tell me that if I wanted, I could speak to the dealer about a trade. I asked what that exactly meant. Basically what they are saying is if I want, I can sell the vehicle, or trade the vehicle with no help from Lexus corporate. They will not entertain a buy back and take the position that an 04 will not help any of these problems. I would be happy if they got me into an 04 with the new suspension. But it seems either they know or don't know that these issues haven't been addressed in the 04.

I feel like I have been left out in the cold. After begining to ask the CS rep for further clarification as to this, he tells me I can always file with the better business bureau. Can you believe this? I asked to speak to the district manager and the rep told me that he couldn't promise anything, I proceeded in saying, if he is making the decision, why shouldn't I have a right to speak to him. He said it's not normal for me to speak to him. I am at wits ends.

If anyone has a contact they have been working with at Lexus where a buy back was going through, please PM me.

Last edited by looknow12; 10-27-03 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-27-03, 09:28 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

The sevice writer told me that they replaced the drive shaft and lube spline to fix the clunking problem. The problem has not returned after 2 months. But I didn't have the cluncking problem until I put about 6K miles on the vehicle so let's wait and see.

I was hoping that Lexus will get rid of all the known problems on the 04, given that the gvwr changed to 6150lb for 04 model 9700B, I guess Lexus must did something to the vehicle. But after read all the complaint, I don't know if I want to get a 04 anymore. Can someone start a poll for the "cluncking in the rear at stop" problem? Base on the poll results, the vibration problem is about 50%. I want to know what my chances for the clunking problem.

looknow12: You probably know better than me since you already went through a trade with Lexus. But if I were you, I will bring the vehicle in for vibration, clunking problems every 2 weeks and file lemon after 5 visits. What do you think?
Old 10-27-03, 10:36 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by super_cjc

looknow12: You probably know better than me since you already went through a trade with Lexus. But if I were you, I will bring the vehicle in for vibration, clunking problems every 2 weeks and file lemon after 5 visits. What do you think?
The dealership has already told me they cannot do any thing about these issues. They have stated that they have created some sort of sheet that goes back to Lexus for review.
Old 10-27-03, 01:54 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

looknow12: I feel your pain. I am going through it also with all the problems with my GX. I have all the problems you have listed as well as transmission problems that you did not list.

I too have spoken to Lexus Customer Service and received basically the same replies they gave you.

What really burns me is that my previous car had major problems from day one. When I finally got rid of it, it was the best day of my life in that I felt like I had been "released" from the nightmare. I then purchased the GX thinking that Lexus has good customer service and stands behind their products. I was wrong!!

I hate to say it but the GX is turning out to be the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have had problem after problem with it from the beginning. Not even my previous lemon had this many problems so early on.

I too am at my wits end. I will never buy another Lexus for as long as I live. Not because all the design flaws and defects in the GX, but because of how bad their customer service is and their lack of honesty in admitting the defects and working towards an expeditious resolution.

Last edited by DSW; 10-27-03 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-27-03, 03:58 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Amen!! Well stated, my feelings exactly. my second one is also a lemon and I hate lemonaid.
Old 10-28-03, 09:27 AM
romy101
Driver School Candidate

The sevice writer told me that they replaced the drive shaft and lube spline to fix the clunking problem.
I have my GX in the shop right now to fix the problem. The service guy told me that they have 4 machines to create new splines in the factory. It is a matter of creating new parts to replace the old design and because of the large quantity they need to make there are some 04 vehicles that have not had the updated part.

I can appreciate that since this is a first generation vehicle the engineering of the parts may not have been spot on. They are aware of the problem and have found the solution. Now it is a matter of making enough of the new part for the 04s and the old 03s.
Old 10-28-03, 11:48 AM
modelaford
Driver

Question

Is the klunk and vibration related??? Does the driveshaft fix also fix the ugly vibration?

Last edited by modelaford; 10-28-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 12:41 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Hmmm, perhaps another reason to wait for the November builds?

Quick Reply: 04 GX owners, feedback please on vibration and braking