GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towed Home

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 03:21 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Towed Home

Bad news! After checking my fluids and topping off my levels the GX started getting hot and loosing coolant. 50 miles from home in heavy traffic.
My local tow guy wasn’t able to get to me, Out on a 3 hour job!
Luckily my neighbor had just come home. He has an old Ford 7.3 F350 and we drove the GX on his equipment trailer after freezing our butts off last week. He’s a good friend and we insisted he take the money the other guy didn’t get
We checked some of the basics. Water pump is fine. But….found coolant residue inside the oil cap. I did use Blue Devil head gasket sealer about 3 years ago.
It blew a day before I made the last payment. Over 200,000 on it. So basically I drove about 4 years for my $9,999 purchase just before Covid car prices hit.
Runs fine till it overheats so I’m hopeful I can just do a blown gasket.
Worried the costs at my shop may point me to a used replacement. At what point should I just risk it or rebuild? It is a 200,000 mile engine so I’m trying to be realistic.
Did good maintaining Asian kit, spring conversion Bilstien 4600’s all around. Driveshaft upgrade and Wheels. Gonna try to justify saving it.
Old 01-30-24, 02:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Cast iron block, but the heads are aluminum. So .. maybe just check for warping and replace the head gasket?

How much longer do you plan on keeping it? That'll tell you whether it's worth fixing.

Bummer dude.
Chip H.
Old 01-31-24, 02:36 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chiph9
Cast iron block, but the heads are aluminum. So .. maybe just check for warping and replace the head gasket?

How much longer do you plan on keeping it? That'll tell you whether it's worth fixing.

Bummer dude.
Chip H.
Well I did get it at a 3rd rate dealer with not the best history. It’s paid off now. I will fix it mainly because a years payments on anything I fit in will easily cover the repair. Been trying to stay out of debt. Rather pay for gas than dig the financial hole again.
Dash and interior are still nice enough. With 200,000 on it I’m thinking exhaust manifold gaskets and the heater core while it’s down. Might as well grab a timing belt. Did the entire kit 50,000 miles ago.
I will update in a few months when it’s warmer.
Old 02-15-24, 05:43 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Same engine as Tundra that year, so used parts should be plentiful.

At this age of vehicle, water pitting starts to show in various places. Inpect the water lines that enter top-rear of block.

Do any spark plugs look like they have been buring antifreeze?
Old 02-16-24, 09:48 AM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Same engine as Tundra that year, so used parts should be plentiful.

At this age of vehicle, water pitting starts to show in various places. Inpect the water lines that enter top-rear of block.

Do any spark plugs look like they have been buring antifreeze?
Been working a lot and haven’t dug into it yet. My F150 will do for now, it’s been a great truck.
Been looking at a 2011
ML 350 with 77,000 perfect Carfax 1 owner no accidents at a decent price.
Gonna negotiate a price before test driving . See if they want to get us there.
Still getting the GX repaired eventually!
Old 02-16-24, 10:24 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSteamer
Been working a lot and haven’t dug into it yet. My F150 will do for now, it’s been a great truck.
Been looking at a 2011
ML 350 with 77,000 perfect Carfax 1 owner no accidents at a decent price.
Gonna negotiate a price before test driving . See if they want to get us there.
Still getting the GX repaired eventually!
Maybe you know this but just in case: that gen of ML350 (w164) had some serious engine issues early on. 2011 is a “good” year but early years are grenades because of crank balancer hardening issues. We were contemplating one last year before settling on the RX330 now owned. That car is safe, I think they fixed it early 2008 my. But if you go look at others in that gen, be aware.
Old 02-16-24, 04:08 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oro
Maybe you know this but just in case: that gen of ML350 (w164) had some serious engine issues early on. 2011 is a “good” year but early years are grenades because of crank balancer hardening issues. We were contemplating one last year before settling on the RX330 now owned. That car is safe, I think they fixed it early 2008 my. But if you go look at others in that gen, be aware.
Yeah , I was only looking at 11 and 12’s. Thanks anyway. I was informed it sold yesterday. No big deal , I read some forums that said premium fuel is more important to use in the Benz. My wife got disappointed more than me on that!
I’m not looking at anything smaller being a 6’4” XXXXLT older guy.
Old 04-29-24, 04:56 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Default Update

After getting outrageous quote from shops I have given work to before. That didn’t want to do…engine repairs??? Only replace with rebuilt or remanufactured. I tried a local shop I have heard good thing about. Dropping it off in a week when they have time to take on more work.
They are gonna do the repair and get the entire timing kit with water pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDSteamer:
IanB2 (04-30-24), RPH74 (05-01-24)
Old 05-16-24, 02:24 AM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Default Better news

The head gaskets tested fine. My Aisin water pump failed ruined the radiator. So that’s all fixed now.
Had some recommended NGK plugs put in while it was there. I’ll probably be getting around to rear bushings next.
Old 05-16-24, 04:40 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Not sure how a failed water pump can ruin the radiator, but sure, ok.

I checked the condition of my rear suspension bushings (20 years old now..) and they're still in good shape. But I don't get the rust that you do.

Chip H.
Old 05-16-24, 07:23 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Not sure how a failed water pump can ruin the radiator, but sure, ok.

I checked the condition of my rear suspension bushings (20 years old now..) and they're still in good shape. But I don't get the rust that you do.

Chip H.
I’m sure it started loosing coolant under pressure faster than it had been.
The sad thing is after all that the rain sensor windshield finally cracked. So we claimed that and got a new one put in . And today it slowly lost power on the interstate and the engine died. Replaced battery, starter won’t crank while everything else seams fine. Gonna try another ignition key tomorrow.
Old 05-17-24, 04:24 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Might want to get the codes read. You have new plugs, new battery. Presumably the air filter & air intake aren't blocked. Fuel injectors? Coil packs?

Chip H.
Old 05-27-24, 02:11 AM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Might want to get the codes read. You have new plugs, new battery. Presumably the air filter & air intake aren't blocked. Fuel injectors? Coil packs?

Chip H.
Went to YouTube and researched the No Start No Crank situation after going over fuses. Found a vid with a guy who barely spoke English. He showed a short going to a sensor that stopped code reading. 5 minutes later I found my short.
The shop that did the timing kit didn’t secure a wire putting it back together. It took a week for the serpentine to grind the wire. They took care of it , never admitting anything. Just said it’s fixed after I sent this photo to them.
So that’s all over and it runs smooth now.
Rotated tires this weekend, thinking uneven tire wear vibrations before rebalancing. Looks like the left rear wheel bearing has leaked. Probably RockAuto a bearing next week and get to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDSteamer:
chiph9 (05-27-24), IanB2 (05-27-24)
Old 06-01-24, 11:47 AM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Default Unbelievable

Rotated the tires and my vibration at highway speeds went to steering wheel jerking about 3/8 of an inch at 40 mph. Took it back to my Firestone dealer to rebalance. They said … the wheel was bad..and it was 15oz out. But could send it out to be repaired. It’s a cast aluminum Rocktrix wheel!
I said put that tire on my 5th spare Rocktrix wheel. Soon after they messaged me we replaced the tire under warranty no charge. All wheels were fine.
The failed tire was a Destination AT2 3 peak tire.
Everything is back to normal finally, I can give the truck a break and daily the GX again!
I did make the mistake of testing a 14 ML350 , working that out of my system might take awhile!