GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clicking noise when hill start assist is engaged

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 11:08 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, how sad.

brent and cessna,
You guys really need to get a reality check. Just because you saved up every last penny to finally get a Lexus, you can't expect any car, especially a first year model, to be perfect. If you do, then that's your problem, not Lexus or BMW or Benz problem. How much do you make a year? I assume at least $50K if you're buying this car. Are you perfect at your job? Do you ever squeak, rattle? I doubt you're perfect. Maybe your boss should expect you to be so if he's paying you $53K per year.

I've owned 2 BMWs and now this Lexus. No, it's not perfect, yes I'd like for them to fix the little problems. Is it a big deal? No. Is the car still better than any other SUV I've driven, yes.

Attacking other people for being reasonable makes you look silly. If you'll check any other forum, any other board dealing with cars you'll see what kind of serious problems other people are really dealing with. Then you'll realize that a clunk or a vibration or a squeak is pretty minor. And the vibration thing, I have it, but it's so ridiculous I can't believe people have tried to have Lexus buy their truck back over it. It's barely perceptible, and I would never call it a "problem".

It's amazing to me that this forum is such a whine fest. It's a great car. If you're unhappy with it, then maybe you had unreasonable expectations or didn't do your homework before you bought it. I read this board and Edmunds and LOC for weeks before buying and did all the research I could. And I bought it, and I love it.
Old 11-29-03, 11:15 AM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: Wow, how sad.

Originally posted by jacksonian
brent and cessna,
You guys really need to get a reality check. Just because you saved up every last penny to finally get a Lexus, you can't expect any car, especially a first year model, to be perfect. If you do, then that's your problem, not Lexus or BMW or Benz problem. How much do you make a year? I assume at least $50K if you're buying this car. Are you perfect at your job? Do you ever squeak, rattle? I doubt you're perfect. Maybe your boss should expect you to be so if he's paying you $53K per year.

I've owned 2 BMWs and now this Lexus. No, it's not perfect, yes I'd like for them to fix the little problems. Is it a big deal? No. Is the car still better than any other SUV I've driven, yes.

Attacking other people for being reasonable makes you look silly. If you'll check any other forum, any other board dealing with cars you'll see what kind of serious problems other people are really dealing with. Then you'll realize that a clunk or a vibration or a squeak is pretty minor. And the vibration thing, I have it, but it's so ridiculous I can't believe people have tried to have Lexus buy their truck back over it. It's barely perceptible, and I would never call it a "problem".

It's amazing to me that this forum is such a whine fest. It's a great car. If you're unhappy with it, then maybe you had unreasonable expectations or didn't do your homework before you bought it. I read this board and Edmunds and LOC for weeks before buying and did all the research I could. And I bought it, and I love it.
My only complaint was about the "heated" seats. The vibration issue is barely perceptible and the DAC sound is something I've never had to deal with. We have another car with heated seats that get HOT - to the point where the weak have to turn them down. I can barely feel the heat in the GX.
Old 11-29-03, 02:36 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
But you need the DAC much more on the dirt, muddy or icy pavement, than you will need on the city streets. I mean no car on the road has this option, I mean car not SUV. My GS don't have DAC and on the steep hill I don't have any problem, but on the dirt road or gravel road that when I feel the pain when my rear tires started to spin and my car sliding back/side way.
Hopefully one day Lexus will put DAC on a car.
I don't think Lexus miss the boat on the GX. It's just the first production year on the vehicle. Just like the first RX300 back in springs 98. The RX had the most TSBs and issue than any Lexus, almost 1 TSB every week for about 6 months and then thing start to slow down. The 98 GS and LS (first year with VVT-i and all the new toys) had 3 recalls in 8 months. The 98 LS &GS got the first recalled on ECM for hesitation and then the GS got another recalled for the door lock actuator.
It is hard to impossible to R&D the car without real world driving experience. They can spend 10 years to designed a perfect vehicle in Toyota City in Japan and test drive it 2 million miles, but when the car arrive in CA..guess what. Totally difference environment, road conditions, traffic, weather, drivers, and more. That when Lexus will send out a team of engineers when they have some complaints to difference part of country and gathering infomations and send them back to Japan.
I think most of us are spoiled. Most of another car manufacturers owners are complaining about their brand new car shut off while driving or a lot of electrical problems or transmission problems, so they don't complaint about sqeak/rattle noises at all. They have so much to worry about their cars than some of us. which is worry about sqeak and rattle or in your case the seat heater is not hot enough on the back side ..comon give me a break.
I'm curious, what is your response now that the GX is no longer a first production year car? The same problems exist still.

Ok, I will admit that the vibration issue is rather small and tolerable until Lexus finds a fix and the other issues I mentioned are more of my opinions and not a problem with the systems themselves (except the heated seat thing, which I still feel are weak compared to the loaner RX330's I have driven)
but.... the driveline clunking (which as I understand it from the master tech. at my dealership has do to with the U-joints, splines, & yoke or a combo thereof binding) is not acceptable even as a first year production on a 50K vehicle, but for the sake of argument let's buy into the fact that it is ok and WAS a first year production glitch. The 04s' are out now and guess what.... the driveline clunking is still there.

As far as us being spoiled, yes I think we should be and have the right to be. When you buy a Lexus you are not just buying a car or transportation, you are also buying an image, a reputation, a name AND you are paying for it.. Yes other car manufacturers have bigger problems, but that is why they are 15 - 20K less then a Lexus.

I do not think it is a bad thing for comsumers to demand what they are paying for.

Last edited by Cessna172; 11-29-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-29-03, 03:02 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back to the Topic (hint Cessna)

The ticking noise is from the ABS/Traction Control system and is completely normal. The DAC system is very effective for descending at a controlled rate not only off road, but on an icy rough/paved surface.

The ticking noise is not a reason to begin attacking the GX.
The following users liked this post:
BucciSS (04-27-23)
Old 11-29-03, 07:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Cessna172
I'm curious, what is your response now that the GX is no longer a first production year car? The same problems exist still.

Ok, I will admit that the vibration issue is rather small and tolerable until Lexus finds a fix and the other issues I mentioned are more of my opinions and not a problem with the systems themselves (except the heated seat thing, which I still feel are weak compared to the loaner RX330's I have driven)
but.... the driveline clunking (which as I understand it from the master tech. at my dealership has do to with the U-joints, splines, & yoke or a combo thereof binding) is not acceptable even as a first year production on a 50K vehicle, but for the sake of argument let's buy into the fact that it is ok and WAS a first year production glitch. The 04s' are out now and guess what.... the driveline clunking is still there.

As far as us being spoiled, yes I think we should be and have the right to be. When you buy a Lexus you are not just buying a car or transportation, you are also buying an image, a reputation, a name AND you are paying for it.. Yes other car manufacturers have bigger problems, but that is why they are 15 - 20K less then a Lexus.

I do not think it is a bad thing for comsumers to demand what they are paying for.
I agree with you Cessna. The customer always comes first and your demand for your car is valid. I can understand your point of veiw. I know Lexus won't just screw you and leave you hanging, but just give them sometime to figure it out. I rather wait than rush Lexus to come up with something and then it doesn't work.
Lexus be able to stand in this luxury game/market within 13 years of existing is the way they take care of the customers, reliability and quality. What make you think ' Lexus just said f!!k it and screw you? WHY LEXUS IS A WAKE UP CALL FOR THE INDUSTRY? Customer is our guest in our house. That is what Lexus thinks and it works. They will bend over backward to make you happy. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE AND PLEASE WAIT FOR THE SOLUTION.
My point is, this thread is about DAC, but now it's turn to be vibration and heated seat and so on... I've been reading a lot of threads on the GX forum and every time I have to read about the same complaint over and over again from the same people. Can we just start a thread and get the answer and then just sit back and enjoy the ride? Oh, FYI, be nice to the service guys when you're at the dealership. Don't make them run away when they see you because you will need them one day.
Old 11-29-03, 08:12 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
I agree with you Cessna. The customer always comes first and your demand for your car is valid. I can understand your point of veiw. I know Lexus won't just screw you and leave you hanging, but just give them sometime to figure it out. I rather wait than rush Lexus to come up with something and then it doesn't work.
Lexus be able to stand in this luxury game/market within 13 years of existing is the way they take care of the customers, reliability and quality. What make you think ' Lexus just said f!!k it and screw you? WHY LEXUS IS A WAKE UP CALL FOR THE INDUSTRY? Customer is our guest in our house. That is what Lexus thinks and it works. They will bend over backward to make you happy. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE AND PLEASE WAIT FOR THE SOLUTION.
My point is, this thread is about DAC, but now it's turn to be vibration and heated seat and so on... I've been reading a lot of threads on the GX forum and every time I have to read about the same complaint over and over again from the same people. Can we just start a thread and get the answer and then just sit back and enjoy the ride? Oh, FYI, be nice to the service guys when you're at the dealership. Don't make them run away when they see you because you will need them one day.
Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. Also I have no problems on the dealership level as they have been great and understanding. My frustration is with Lexus Corporate. I also see your point and I sometimes overreact but it just bothers me that I am going through this with my first Lexus which I guess I had on a pedistol from all the good things I have been told about their products. I do hope you are right and Lexus will fine a fix for these issues.

Please continue on with the original topic.
Old 12-02-03, 07:27 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

DAC is an OFF-ROADING feature...and should remain so. DAC keeps speed under 5-8 mph...you canNOT use this on the road without other drivers giving you the "sign".

If you want to slow down when driving down a slope, then DOWNSHIFT your automatic transmission! Easy way: turn off OVERDRIVE. This will put you into 4th gear and allow for some engine braking. Need more: downshift the gearlever to 3rd gear...and so on!

The fact that you think DAC should be used on-road is beyond comprehension.
Old 12-02-03, 11:22 PM
plee542
Driver School Candidate

The fact that you think DAC should be used on-road is beyond comprehension.
I wasn't going to say anything and let the thread just die, but tigmd99, your comments were out of line. First of all, the original question I asked was about hill start assist not DAC. So you should read the first thread before making comments like the one above.

I guess that clicking/ratcheting noise is normal. (thanks lexurious for the confirmation) That sucks because I think that sound really cheapens an otherwise beautiful vehicle. When hill start is engaged on a hill, it's loud and sounds like something is broken. Not very reassuring in a LUV like this especially when you are stopped on a hill and roll back a little.
I wasn't starting this thread to open an attack on the GX, I just wanted a confirmation. I personally love my GX even with that cheap/crappy ratcheting noise on hill assist.
I should think we have the right to point out flaws and express our concerns about our vehicle so that Lexus can continue their "pursuit of perfection". Without feedback and criticism, there is no way they can Lexus can live up to their slogan.
Old 12-03-03, 04:40 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by plee542
I wasn't going to say anything and let the thread just die, but tigmd99, your comments were out of line. First of all, the original question I asked was about hill start assist not DAC. So you should read the first thread before making comments like the one above.

I guess that clicking/ratcheting noise is normal. (thanks lexurious for the confirmation) That sucks because I think that sound really cheapens an otherwise beautiful vehicle. When hill start is engaged on a hill, it's loud and sounds like something is broken. Not very reassuring in a LUV like this especially when you are stopped on a hill and roll back a little.
I wasn't starting this thread to open an attack on the GX, I just wanted a confirmation. I personally love my GX even with that cheap/crappy ratcheting noise on hill assist.
I should think we have the right to point out flaws and express our concerns about our vehicle so that Lexus can continue their "pursuit of perfection". Without feedback and criticism, there is no way they can Lexus can live up to their slogan.
Agreed. Not all of us have the luxury of living in a relatively flat area. I live at the top of a huge hill and when it gets snowy/icy DAC is the safest way to descend from "the mountain".

As far as cessna's concerns go I agree they are valid, but I think the rreason they are so near and dear to his heart is that he has not had the benefit of seeing that all Lexus first year (and early 2nd year) vehicles have all had problems. It just gets more frustrating when a company (not just Lexus) has built up a reputation that further heightens your expectations of a perfect vehicle (or close to it).

I think what we all need to do is to continue to express our concerns and to a degree our frustrations, but lets all do what we can in a productive manner so that we can all benefit.
Old 12-03-03, 07:39 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Hey Tigmd99! I finally got my GX on a hoist yesterday so I could look it over real good. You were rite awile back on the rear shocks not being air. They have electrical wires going into them (3 to be precise). When I got into the argiment with you a few weeks back I had just laid under neath and it looked like air lines. Sorry I went off on you about this as I feel you do know the system. Also sorry I changed the topic on this tread but saw your name here and thought I would fess up. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-03-03, 06:37 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Plee542, i was referring to Cessna172's comments...not you. I thought that was obvious, but i guess i should clarify it next time.

The clattering noises are normal. It is present on other vehicles with 4-wheel traction control and DAC. My brother's Land Rover Disco and Lexus LX470 do the same thing. Nature of the animal, you can say.

While going down a slope on a mountain, you would want to DOWNSHIFT instead of DAC. Why?? Because DAC uses your brakes and ABS circuitry. If you were to use DAC while going down a mountain, i think that your brakes will wear out very quickly (along with constant noise in your cabin from the ABS pulsing your brakes)...similar to riding your brakes down a hill...not good (but i am sure your local Lexus dealership would love you more!)! It is ALWAYS recommended to downshift when going down a slope because you're not wearing anything out (not using your brakes). If you downshift enough, it should slow you down to any speed you want...all without touching your brakes. Just keep downshifting to 4th...3rd...2nd...gears.

Remember, downshifting is good on mountain descends. DAC is only for brief uses only...ONLY for off-roading.

Thai.
Old 12-03-03, 06:40 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally posted by modelaford
Hey Tigmd99! I finally got my GX on a hoist yesterday so I could look it over real good. You were rite awile back on the rear shocks not being air. They have electrical wires going into them (3 to be precise). When I got into the argiment with you a few weeks back I had just laid under neath and it looked like air lines. Sorry I went off on you about this as I feel you do know the system. Also sorry I changed the topic on this tread but saw your name here and thought I would fess up. Thanks again for the info.
No problem at all. You sure made me scared that i was passing along the wrong info.