GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Inaccurate Nav System

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 12:40 PM
wag100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inaccurate Nav System

I took delivery of a 04 GX about three weeks ago. Since then have logged close to 3000 miles on it. I have used the Nav system on each trip. I've found it to be very, very inaccurate. I'm not saying that I wouldn't eventually get to my destination using the Nav directions, but it may take me around the world before I got there. For example: I can input a destination three exits (down the interstate) away from my office. The route results wont list the obvious route down the interstate, instead it will take to me back into town and then to my destination. This is typical of most routes. Occasionally it will get it right. I rent from Hertz on most business trips and get the "Neverlost" system whenever its available. More time than not the directions given are correct. I heard and read nothing but good about the Lexus Nav system before I bought it but have been disappointed since. Anyone else experiencing these problems or have an idea how to fix?
Old 12-03-03, 01:38 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check your setups

When you input the destination check to make sure you have not excluded the INTERSTATES route option. It is in the section after you input the destination there are 4 choices on the right side of the screen, interstates, ferry, I think toll road and something else. If you have a red line thru interstates it will always avoid interstates even if you are on one currently.
Old 12-03-03, 02:04 PM
wag100
Driver School Candidate

Default Inaccurate Nav

Johnny Mo - I have all routes un-checked (all possible road types are available). The interstate example was just one of many mistakes it may make.
Old 12-03-03, 03:15 PM
lexusnc
Driver

I now have 12K miles on my GX, and have used the NAV system several hundred times. I have not noticed the problems you have mentioned. In general the NAV sytem have given the most direct route, but not always. I judge the results of the NAV systems route calculations strictly through the eyes of a computer that has no idea about the nuances of the raods that only a local human would know. I would say that in almost every instance that a route was calculated, I could have figured out a better one, but only by a small degree. I am very satisfied with the way the NAV system functions and I personally have used Neverlost and 4 different Garmin units 2 of which used NAVTech data same as the GX and the NAV system in the GX works at least as good as the best of the others. This is just my personal observations.
Old 12-03-03, 06:30 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Odd problem

That's odd, my Nav seems to work fine, and almost the opposite of yours wag. I know for sure that taking the back roads will get me to my house faster from work than the parkway...partly due to rush hour congestion. Even after I start on the back roads, it always tries to steer me back to a parkway.

One other thing you may want to check and that is the speeds you have set up for your travelling. I think (i'm not sure) if you have the speed you drive on city roads as fast as highways the NAV computer will get confused and plot that course determining it to be faster. I know that's a longshot, but the only other explanation I can offer right now.
Old 12-04-03, 01:28 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I haven't noticed any problems with route selection, it seems to do a darn good job and has shown me some ways around my own town that I never would have found by myself.

One problem I did notice on a trip the past couple of days was a spontaneous "confusion" of the NAV as to where it was. I installed an XM Roady unit right after we got it, and I think that's probably what's interfering with the GPS, but it only happened sporadically, not just when I turned the Roady on or off, but the Roady was always on when it happened.

Man I wish they had included XM or Sirius in the factory system. I'd love to have that HUGE LCD screen showing all my station and song info.
Old 12-04-03, 03:44 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

My NAV seems to work alright. My biggest issue is typing the address in and not finding it. I've started to go to the town first, then it seems to work better. Johhny......Can we get some more info on programming speeds. I don't think I've done that and maybe should move off the factory defaults if possible.