GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4Runner VS GX470 : what do you get for shelling out the extra $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 09:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4Runner VS GX470 : what do you get for shelling out the extra $$$?

Well I noticed that all GX470s are 4 wheel drive. Plus the GX470 basically has absolutely everything found on a 4Runner limited plus a few options like side airbags, sunroof, etc, and a few things you can't get on a 4Runner at all. But if you equip a 4x4 4runner limited as comparably as possible, it only costs about 4500-5000 more.

There are some obvious things like the adjustable suspension, completely different sheet metal, dashboard, 3 inches of extra ceiling height, the auto up/down power windows and sunroof, the rain repelent front glass and rain sensing wipers, etc. Maybe also nicer and more durable leather and carpeting? And also things like the Lexus service department and longer warranty.

But then there are some not so obvious things... such as I've read that the GX470 uses just under 50 pounds more sound deadening material throughout the vehicle than the 4Runner.

But I'm wondering what else am I missing here? From the most obvious thing to the least obvious, what are you getting for your extra 5 grand? Like I wonder if you actually measured body panel gaps, if the GX470 is built to more consistant and tighter tolerances? Or I wonder if maybe the power window motors or transmission are built to slightly stronger specs or if they are completely swappable?

See... back in the day, if you found the luxury twin to an 'ordinary' car, you could almost be gaurenteed that the only thing they did was put a different name and badge on it, maybe a different front grille, some wood grain, and maybe a better radio and nicer leather. But that's exactly where the buck stopped... it also seemed that back then there would easily be 10-15 thousand dollars between the two twin vehicles. In other words a whole lot of money for a whole lot of fluff.

These days I feel that, especially with companies like Toyota/Lexus, they are actually giving people value-added content for their money. Practical content? Nah. But at least you can come up with a significant laundry list of differences. And that's what I think we should do here.

(BTW, I own neither the 4Runner or GX470... I have a GS4, but am contemplating between the two SUVs for a wedding present for my fiance)
Old 12-24-03, 12:50 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey if u wanna save some $$$, go for the 4runner. but the ultimate car lover would go for the gx. it is totally different from the 4runner and it's counterpart is the land cruiser prado, not 4runner. go to http://www.toyota.com.ph i don't know the website of toyota in japan that has the prado but this is the only website that i know that has the prado and that i'm seeing here on my vacation here in the philippines.
Old 12-24-03, 05:31 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i looked at the 4runner before buying my gx. my lexus dealer actually told me to at least go drive it before i bought the gx. personally, i HATE the 4runner interior, and because of that i never actually test drove it. i found a lot of value in the differences for the money when comparing the two vehicles. call me biased, but i would say go for the gx.
Old 12-24-03, 08:14 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4runner vs GX

Has the 4runner added the 3rd row yet? I'd also note the luxury touches like the wood trim and nicer leather. I'm not into changing out the stereo anymore, so the Mark Levinson system is another plus on the GX side.

I think ultimately you get the same hardware, but it's some of the "softer" items you'll see on the GX that change it from a SPORT utility to a LUXURY utility vehicle.
Old 12-24-03, 09:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 4runner vs GX

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Has the 4runner added the 3rd row yet? I'd also note the luxury touches like the wood trim and nicer leather. I'm not into changing out the stereo anymore, so the Mark Levinson system is another plus on the GX side.

I think ultimately you get the same hardware, but it's some of the "softer" items you'll see on the GX that change it from a SPORT utility to a LUXURY utility vehicle.
Yes, the 3rd row seat is available on the 4Runner.

Also, on the 4Runner you can get a 10-speaker JBL surround sound system... which believe me I know is not nearly as good as ML, but probably better than the standard Lexus sound system. The same exact navigation system with backup camera and everything I think.
Old 12-25-03, 02:15 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Threxx
I have a loaded 2003 V8 Limited 4Runner, I don't have a back up camera or 3rd row.

My 4Runner lacks memory seats, auto up & down on all the windows, Zenons but so does the GX, the Lexus has a better warranty but then again I opted for a 60k bumper to bumper, and service is better, you basically answered your own questions and it come down to exterior styling and a different interior.

I jumped the gun and bought the 4Runner, at the time well a year ago the 4Runner was just the better looking contender and the GX's where flying off the lot so I never really saw a GX until I had mine.

My ES has crazy expensive Lexus service, at least twice the price of my 4Runner and the 4Runner has many more serviceable parts, after dealing with the Toyota peeps I'd buy a Lexus just for the service.

Rx900
I can't really agree with you, your opinion is like saying the VQ in an Infiniti G35 is better then that of the Maxima both have the same engine so

The V8 4Runner and GX have identical powertrains, parts are interchangeable and the TRD SC is ready to be bolted on either the Toy or Lex, body style and interior is different and the Lex has to many plastic cover in the engine compartment,

If they went head to head, stock verse stock offroad it would be a tie, 1 is not really better then the other it comes down to price and the style you perfer.

The 4Runner is an awesome vehicle, only thing better would be a GX or an LX
Old 12-25-03, 10:21 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to get a loaded luxury vehicle because that's what you like, then the GX is a much better choice and value. If you are trying to get a low monthly payment, but still want the great drivetrain, 4wd, and safety of the 4runner/GX platform, then the 4runner will be your only option.

The 4runner can be fully loaded, but with some things missing like memory seats, suspension adjustment, RSES, Rain sensing wipers, etc you might be left feeling you want more.
Old 12-25-03, 11:09 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Lets not focus on monthly payments find out what the total cost of the vehicle will be then get a good interest rate
Old 12-25-03, 12:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

EDGE2, the backup camera and 3rd row seat were added for 2004 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-25-03, 10:02 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: 4Runner VS GX470 : what do you get for shelling out the extra $$$?

Originally posted by Threxx
Like I wonder if you actually measured body panel gaps, if the GX470 is built to more consistant and tighter tolerances?
I'm not too sure how it compares to the 4runner, but I was surprised how large the panel gaps are between the rear doors and the rear of the car. One day I looked at it and said what the heck? I can stick my PINKY in that gap!

The GX also has projector headlights, which cast a very nice beam pattern.

Also, I'm not sure if the 4runner has it, but the GX has a power adjustable steering wheel whose position is also stored in the memory.
Old 12-26-03, 05:24 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Threxx
EDGE2, the backup camera and 3rd row seat were added for 2004 if I'm not mistaken.
Yup I know but I got a 2003 and for 2004 the back up camera and 3rd row where added to the SR5 and Limited
Old 12-26-03, 09:32 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Memory seats!! Let me tell you, once you have it on your car, you will never own another one without it!

I never felt the need for memory seats until i got my BMW M3. Man, it's now just a pain to adjust my 4runner seats. Yeah, i am downright lazy!
Old 12-28-03, 09:39 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by tigmd99
Memory seats!! Let me tell you, once you have it on your car, you will never own another one without it!

I never felt the need for memory seats until i got my BMW M3. Man, it's now just a pain to adjust my 4runner seats. Yeah, i am downright lazy!
Good grief! I've finally found someone else who thinks memory seats are the best thing since sliced bread! I would buy a Landcruiser tomorrow over the LX470 if only it had memory seats! Yes, ladies and gentlemen I would pay an extra $7k for a vehicle with memory seats. My wife is 5'2 and I am 5'8 and we have totally different driving positions and it is such a pain to have to adjust everything.

We should start a club at www.ilovememoryseats.com

Happy New Years to you all! May we all get our favorite toys this year!
Old 12-28-03, 10:41 AM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by Jayson
Good grief! I've finally found someone else who thinks memory seats are the best thing since sliced bread! I would buy a Landcruiser tomorrow over the LX470 if only it had memory seats! Yes, ladies and gentlemen I would pay an extra $7k for a vehicle with memory seats. My wife is 5'2 and I am 5'8 and we have totally different driving positions and it is such a pain to have to adjust everything.

We should start a club at www.ilovememoryseats.com

Happy New Years to you all! May we all get our favorite toys this year!
HAHA I agree. I don't think it's so much that I don't want to adjust everything as I like to have the position memorized so it goes back to the same spot every time.

I just wish the passenger's seat were 12 way with memory (like in the Touareg). The passenger cushion is too flat and I can't adjust it to make it tilt up.