GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

This is really strange

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 11:17 AM
bobemac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is really strange

I purchased a 2003 GX 470 in early January 2003. I have driven this vehicle for almost one year. I have never had any problems at all with this truck. That's what's strange. So many other posters here have had
problems, I almost feel guilty.

Yesterday I picked up my new GX 470. Lexus bought back my old truck, because the weight was incorrectly stated on the vehicle. I think that was very generous of Lexus. I almost never get to visit with the service manager, but yesterday he wanted to know why I was turning back my Black GX 470. I told him I thought it
was a great truck, he agreed and told me he had just bought one for himself. I said something about all the
problems other folks were having with the GX. He said he wasn't seeing them.

My new GX is gold wth ML and Nav, plus the rear camera. It rides just as nice as my old GX, but my wife likes the Nav, and rear view camera. I will be sure to up date everyone. It's important to see both sides of the
GX. There is a silent majority out there who is very content with their GX. I would be the first to give feedback
if there were any negatives on this truck.

Somebody else must like the GX 470. The new 2004 model is one tough ticket.
Old 12-30-03, 12:58 PM
brent0226
Driver

Though we have a few minor complaints, we actually LOVE our GX. It's a fantastic vehicle, and I disagree with those who say "the GX is the first POS Lexus has turned out! it's going to be their downfall!" It's a great vehicle and I would recommend it.
Old 12-30-03, 08:57 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

I agree with Brent...I finally got my truck and have had it for 2 days now. There are some minor little things that kinda annoyed me, but I'm not **** about it. The truck has exceeded my expectations from the build quality to the technology on board.

Mine has the KDSS system, and it is highly recommended. I can feel the difference between my old truck and the Lex. In Austin, we get a lot of wind, and the body will sway with the gusts. With the KDSS, you can actually feel the truck correction to stay level. It is really weird, but very recommended.

The truck was fully loaded minus the tow bar

Anywho...great truck.
Old 12-30-03, 10:33 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by tetra7
I agree with Brent...I finally got my truck and have had it for 2 days now. There are some minor little things that kinda annoyed me, but I'm not **** about it. The truck has exceeded my expectations from the build quality to the technology on board.

Mine has the KDSS system, and it is highly recommended. I can feel the difference between my old truck and the Lex. In Austin, we get a lot of wind, and the body will sway with the gusts. With the KDSS, you can actually feel the truck correction to stay level. It is really weird, but very recommended.

The truck was fully loaded minus the tow bar

Anywho...great truck.
We picked up our GX at Lexus of Austin...

I wish ours had the KDSS system, because our GX does not like the wind. Sometimes it's just plain scary on the interstate when it's windy because I have to constantly correct the steering and it doesn't always go where I point.

I too have been amazed at the build quality. Everything seems to be top notch (except a few rattles when there is powerful bass).
Old 12-31-03, 07:06 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the love of god..all the dealers in houston say that kdss hasnt hit america yet :0.. i keep telling em otherwise but they say no i really want one today
Old 12-31-03, 07:46 AM
dhatwell
Driver School Candidate

I've had my GX since June 2003, and I believe it is a wonderful vehicle and (for an SUV) a sublime drive. People often remark how smooth the ride is. I had the clunking noise, but one trip to the dealer resolved that. Everything else has been perfect.

Dave
Old 12-31-03, 02:29 PM
bobemac
Driver School Candidate

Default KDSS availability

Kash, I had an allocated 2004 GX with KDSS arrive in San Antonio the 12th of December. That means there was a boatload of GXs arriving from the early November build. My Lexus factory rep told me they were making about 10% of their builds with KDSS. Unfortunately they have included the DVD as a mandatory option. That brings the sticker up to almost 55,000.00 ! I have no use for the DVD, so I passed on the KDSS. I also have no use for the third row, but that is an automatic include this year.
Old 12-31-03, 06:23 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

now u new gx die hards, post the problems of the 04 model. I'm happy with mine. almost had it for a year. it's currently not being used because i'm on vacation now. when that earthquake hit central california the other day, i got worried about my gx. but when i asked the one who was looking over our house if the cars were okay, she said it was okay, whewwwwww......!!!!!!!! I know i might sound stupid but does the 04 gxs have the "clunk" as u guys call it, but i call it thug, like the 03s????
plz post ur observations.