GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 07:45 PM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, congrats on the purchase

but
all very good points but like I said I want performance, rain-sensing wipers are nice but if you get in a car and can't work the wipers get off the road, headlights are headlight
So basically a car is a car and you can go get a Chevy Cavalier and be happy? Rain-sensing wipers is a luxury feature. Who said I don't know how to use them? It's just like automatic headlights, auto climate control, and cruise control. They're features that make the driving experience more enjoyable. Who wants to constantly adjust the wiper speed when it mists/stops/pours/mists/sprinkles when you can have it automatically do it for you (and do it quite well)? It sounds like you're justifying your purchase.

long as you can see the road and I've actually read reviews on the ES that the projector headlights have a better field/view and don't have a cut off like the zenons
I didn't say the GX has xenons; I said it has projector halogens as opposed to reflector halogens... projector headlamps (halogen or xenon) put out a much better beam pattern that is much more even. Xenon headlamps are not available on the GX.
Old 01-07-04, 08:55 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love these threads... i think this is the fourth... someone should search before making one
Old 01-07-04, 09:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

brent
man what are you doing it's the freakin internet, you took what I said as a personal attach against you

I said what I said and Im in no way justifying my purchase, if I had to replace my 4Runner it would be another 4Runner, I also said I like performance and a Caviler is not anything performance that and I also said I like options and fully loaded, when my 04 M3 comes in it will be fully loaded I'd drive a base model with no options but I want it loaded

Auto Wipers, Auto Headlights, it's not my problem if you don't know how to use them cause thats what your saying right because your taking this as a personal attach right, flicking a stalk to throw the wipers on to clear the windsheild is something done by millions of people, suddenly it became to hard same thing happened with manual transmissions people are becoming to lazy to shift, to me it's an overrated option that the manurfactures use to slowly increase the price of cars, the driving experience you talk about is becoming more of a ride along experience.

Look it up because long before Lexus offer these options in your Luxury vehicle or any luxury vehicle, these options where offered in 25k GM cars, even Ford and Chrysler offered them years before.

I never said the GX had Zenons, I was comparing the 2 headlights offered on the ES, don't really give a crap how Lexus worded their headlights, probably had a board meeting with their sales and marketing associates and came up with what ever sounded best, ever hear of pre-owned sounds better then used but same chit, I drove a GX at night and the lights are the same hows that for their different wording, I've never even bought a car at night, headlights are secondary and usually I have several hundred miles on it by the time I even use the lights, I know Zenons are not available but thanks for last years news.
Old 01-07-04, 09:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by pdonnell
Edge2,
Thank's again for the 4R sites. Very exhaustive and detailed sites.
I ended buying a 4R that I'll be signing for in a half hour. Basically its the LTD V8 4x4. MSRP with the "gold package" was a titch under $43k. I negotiated as if there was no "gold package" as who needs gold lettering.? My final sales price before tax and reg. was $37,950. Basically, about invoice with the gold package thrown in for free.
Sweet deal, their is a ton more info on the 4Runner boards so plenty to read, enjoy the truck and hope to see you on the flip side
Old 01-07-04, 09:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Kash
i love these threads... i think this is the fourth... someone should search before making one
The only thing better then reading about GX owners saying their truck is better then the 4Runner is reading thread on the Ford Truck Board about Navigator owners saying the Expedition is a POS, and half them lemon lawed their Fords for Lincolns the 2 vehicles are about as different as apples and applesauce
Old 01-07-04, 09:28 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

I've driven the GX and 4R at night and both headlights are the same. Insofar as the wipers my current car doesn't even have intermittent wipers so I'm stepping up big time as is. Anyone ever taken a marketing class in college. The GX is nothing more than product differentiation. Its not a reinvention like the ML or Hummer. Its a fancy toyota 4R with a few diff gadgets. At least this is what I've come to learn by this thread.
Regarding the 4th time this thread has appeared. Good point. A search would've been a good thing to do. But you know what? This message board is pretty dry and slow. So whats another repeated subject huh?
Edge2,
Speaking of it, I like applesauce a lot

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-07-04 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 09:57 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
brent
man what are you doing it's the freakin internet, you took what I said as a personal attach against you

I said what I said and Im in no way justifying my purchase, if I had to replace my 4Runner it would be another 4Runner, I also said I like performance and a Caviler is not anything performance that and I also said I like options and fully loaded, when my 04 M3 comes in it will be fully loaded I'd drive a base model with no options but I want it loaded

Auto Wipers, Auto Headlights, it's not my problem if you don't know how to use them cause thats what your saying right because your taking this as a personal attach right, flicking a stalk to throw the wipers on to clear the windsheild is something done by millions of people, suddenly it became to hard same thing happened with manual transmissions people are becoming to lazy to shift, to me it's an overrated option that the manurfactures use to slowly increase the price of cars, the driving experience you talk about is becoming more of a ride along experience.

Look it up because long before Lexus offer these options in your Luxury vehicle or any luxury vehicle, these options where offered in 25k GM cars, even Ford and Chrysler offered them years before.

I never said the GX had Zenons, I was comparing the 2 headlights offered on the ES, don't really give a crap how Lexus worded their headlights, probably had a board meeting with their sales and marketing associates and came up with what ever sounded best, ever hear of pre-owned sounds better then used but same chit, I drove a GX at night and the lights are the same hows that for their different wording, I've never even bought a car at night, headlights are secondary and usually I have several hundred miles on it by the time I even use the lights, I know Zenons are not available but thanks for last years news.
Wow... that was difficult to drudge through. I didn't take it as a personal attack... I took your post as ignorant discourse. I still think you're confused about the headlight issue.

Anyway, different strokes for....

Last edited by brent0226; 01-07-04 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 07:38 AM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

I think the GX is a better looking SUV than the 4Runner. I replaced my 4Runner with the GX. I was disappointed with the new 2003 4Runner. The color schemes, the plastic fenders, the dash board, no third row seat...
Old 01-08-04, 04:29 PM
SacKen
Driver

People, people... PEOPLE! Vehicles fit different needs, abilities and desires. No need for everyone to have to defend their personal choice and get their panties all in a bunch. You should always choose the one that fits you. If your needs are 4WD kick-*** SUV to mash through mud and snow and don't care about road noise, plush interior, adjustable suspension, ML audio, extra headroom, premier service, etc... then the 4Runner is the one for you. For those that need a kick-*** SUV to mash through mud and snow and also *enjoy* those extra appointments and don't mind paying for them (and can afford them ) , then the GX is the truck for you.

This goes for everything else in life. If all you care about is getting some sleep in a sheltered enclosure, then by all means stay in a Motel 6. If you enjoy nicer accomodations, then hit the Hilton. It is all personal choice and how much things are personally worth to you. You could say that the Hilton is a glorified bed and bathroom, but the little extra things are important to me. Just my choice and what is important to me.

As for the brand bashing, reliability is the only true argument. Everything is either personal preference or, in most cases, comparing apples to oranges. If I hear one more argument about how much HP the BMW and MB have over the GX, I am going toss my lunch! If going really fast and cornering going 80 in a freakin' SUV is what turns you on, then the GX is not for you. If you need to tow 4000 lbs up the Sierra Nevada Mountains in February or pull a boat out of the lake on a ramp with a steep incline, then the low-end torque is more important! With 320-lb/ft of torque, they could easily get 300+ HP, but they would sacrifice the low-end torque, which is more useful to true off-roaders (which is the true market niche of the 4Runner/GX platform) and folks that need a **truck**!!! Similar arguments can be made for many of the other GX vs <your LUV here> features.

My requirements for an SUV are:

1) Need more room and functionality for camping and snowboarding.
2) Need to *comfortably* tow my boat
3) Need to comfortably commute to/from work every day.
4) Need something reliable (had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP a few years back and felt closer to the service manager than my own wife!)
5) Prefer a mid-size over a large SUV.

The 4Runner and the GX were left after all the other 50+ SUVs were weeded out. They both satisfy 1,2,4,5. After driving them both several times, the extra money is worth it *to me* to make my commute a little more pleasurable.

Quit worrying about others and just enjoy the choices that you make. My two-cents... peace and luv...

==> ken
Old 01-09-04, 10:18 PM
BexLex
Driver School Candidate

I'm probably not adding much useful info here, but having just made a decision between the two, I'll chime in anyway.

I chose the 4runner 4wd V8 because I needed to tow 7000 pounds, and also hugely prefered the 4runner liftgate arrangment. Another factor is that I will use it off road where it will pick up a lot of "pine tree pin striping", and it will hurt slightly less to scratch up the 4runner. If the 3rd seat had been enough better in the GX the choice would have been tougher.

So far I am well satisfied with the fit, finish, and quality of materials of the 4runner. However, as a Lexus owner, I really hated to give up the Lexus service and buying experience. I noticed that one poster on this thread is taking his 4runner to a Lexus dealer. I may try that, also
Old 01-10-04, 03:51 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may take your 4runner to Lexus dealer for service but I doubt that you will get a loaner car.
Old 01-12-04, 05:34 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

MEMORY SEATS!!!

That alone is worth at least $5K!! I love memory seats!
Old 01-17-04, 08:23 AM
steevr
Pole Position

One other thing is that if you need 3 rows of seats and "have to" have the Navigation system, you'll have to go with the GX. The Nav is not available on the 4Runner with the 3rd seat. How silly is that!!??

Anyone know why the 4Runner has a higher tow limit than the GX? I'd like to replace our '97 Expedition with a GX. Only prob is that our 22' Bow Rider is right around the 5,000 limit.
Old 01-17-04, 10:16 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

I think the stickers on the actual hitches of the 4R's states some high capacities but the owners manual states 5000lbs weight carrying capacity and 7000lbs weight distributing capacity.
Which I think is the same spec as a GX.
Old 06-13-05, 10:54 PM
odesoto
Driver School Candidate

this is retarded.. c'mon people.

you're both driving the same company car. Toyota. WE all know we bought the cars because

a. we prefer quality
b. we prefer realiability
c. we prefer the finer things in life.

SO. with that being said. why are you guys arguing about whose car is better? If its not a ford. or a chevy, or a pontiac. or a honda for that matter.. what does it matter?

Quick Reply: Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??