GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 12:54 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, way to bring back a dead thread from Jan 2004
Old 06-14-05, 03:11 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default The resurection of debate.

What do you do with a slow forum... Quick, someone get on the horn to the year 2004 and let these guys know that this thread is alive. Lot of heated debate. I'm goign to get my popcorn and watch while the forum moderator tries to shut down the banter... I sure hope all the olod participants have been properly notified so that this doesn't end like a recent Tyson match....1/2-way through!
Old 06-14-05, 05:22 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Can we have a group hug then go out and enjoy our SUVs. peace.
Old 06-14-05, 06:26 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the 4Runner and liked it a lot. But the headliner was so low it brushed aginst my hair, same problem I had with our Subaru Outback. The GX470 has another 2" of head room, still not as much head room as my Dodge Ram but much better for me than the 4Runner.
Old 06-14-05, 08:23 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
brent
all very good points but like I said I want performance, rain-sensing wipers are nice but if you get in a car and can't work the wipers get off the road, headlights are headlight long as you can see the road and I've actually read reviews on the ES that the projector headlights have a better field/view and don't have a cut off like the zenons and the 4x4 shift level of course a 4x4 mag is gonna like it, anything with a shift **** and a 4low is a plus in their book but I thought the the shift **** should have been in the 4Runner, anything upscale or considered luxury has a 4x4 dial.

Can't dispute the ML sound system, hell I would buy it cause Im not putting in aftermarket anything, I got the 10 speaker JBL.

In my opinion the GX does not have enough to get me as a buyer, maybe if I was not so hung up on cars it would not matter but if Im gonna spend 50k+ Im getting an LX470 with a TRD SC, or something German, I like options and the words fully loaded but now the GX does nothin for me, maybe in a few years, if Lexus sold GX's with TRD SC then sure why not.

Lexus does not seem to be having a problem selling the GX, at least here the dealer has 15 in stock that are sold a day after coming off the truck I would perfer my Toy dealer to offer better customer service they do offer loaner cars but I don't take my truck in for dealer recommended service I take it to lexus funny seeing a 4Runner among all the Lexus vehicles Lexus actually called me and asked why I would not take it to Toyota and I told them, their cool and charge the same Toyota would

Anyways Lexus and Toyota have a bright future ahead of them putting Ford out of business, I look forward to the next gen GS and an M5 fighter even an M3 fighter
I saw a man in the in the Lexus if Austin lounge room last week bring in his 2005 Avalon. I asked him why he brought it to a Lexus dealer and he said that his wife has an SC and his daughter has an RX in college and that his service writer gets him a loaner even for his Toyota! That's customer service!
Old 06-15-05, 12:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jayson
I saw a man in the in the Lexus if Austin lounge room last week bring in his 2005 Avalon. I asked him why he brought it to a Lexus dealer and he said that his wife has an SC and his daughter has an RX in college and that his service writer gets him a loaner even for his Toyota! That's customer service!
Yes, also a smart move. He'll proably trade the Avalon in for an ES or another Lexus sedan
Old 06-20-05, 01:12 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Why Even ask this question...

Originally Posted by pdonnell
Just out of curiosity but what are the compelling advantages to buying a GS470 for thousands more than a loaded Forerunner Limited V8 with DVD Navigation to boot?
Only discernable advantage is the GS470 has air suspension and wood veneer appointments but cost is $5000-$9000 more than a Forerunner Limited V8 with DVD Navi, leather, moonroof, air bags etc. But otherwise have identical measurements, motor, gearbox and other spec's.
Any tips would be appreciated.
I read through most of this thread and quite frankly, WHY DO YOU EVEN ASK? If you do not understand why people buy something LEXUS, it is outside your understanding. The guys on this forum are not saying the 4Runner is a cheap truck. We ALL know the GX was based on the 4Runner concept. But there are improvements that cost more money than what was used on the 4Runner. If you don't want to spend the money (or your pocket book cannot absorb it) than DON'T. No one here will lose sleep, but don't try and demean our POV with "I cannot justify it" postulations. We can afford it and like what we purchase. Sorry, if I sound like a jerk, but threads like this are pointless. It is like hearing Jetta owners, referring to their auto as having Porsche abilities. ... Whatever

Last edited by ADVocate; 06-20-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 03:12 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Well said Advocate

Nicely put Advocate!

Call me shallow but I am a doctor in Las Vegas and when I go to dinner with other doctors and professionals I cannot show up in a Toyota 4Runner. That would hurt my business or give the perception that I have not been successful. My patients want to see me in a name brand vehicle because they relate that as having a successful practice. So if your life style allows you to drive a 4Runner do it.

Lexus, BMW , Mercedes all equate to success or the perception of success that is why these nameplates exist and do so well.

Toyota equates to reliability at a good value. Nothing wrong with that, just not the image I need or want at this stage in my life. It was ok when I was just getting out of college or starting my practice but not now.

Another thing I want to know is why would you come into the Lexus forums and ask Lexus owners why we would not buy a Toyota? That would be as silly as one of us going to the Toyota 4 Runner forums and asking them why they did not buy the Lexus. Different budgets, different lifestyles.

Sorry for the typing errors Im a doctor not an english major.

Last edited by Tony; 06-20-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 06:22 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Personally, I've only purchased one new car in my life, so, I won't be buying either vehicle new. So for me, it's a used 4Runner now or a GX470 in a couple of more years.

My GS is the first car I've bought which I've absolutely loved. So far, I've put 10,000 miles on it (70,000 total) and with the exception of a couple minor annoyances, the car has been more reliable than my previous new car and much more pleasing to drive.

I know these things can become a matter of taste and or justifications. But, for me, I’d rather spend the extra or buy an older Lexus and really like what I'm driving, than to settle for a newer car I don't enjoy.

I currently drive a 99 4Runner, so I'm in no way bashing Toyota. Besides, the only thing more reliable than a CPO Toyota or Lexus is a new Toyota or Lexus.

In conclusion, I can't express how much I HATE the swing out tail gate on the GX. However, this will not stop me from waiting a couple more years to buy the GX. I've driven both, and there are no comparisons. Specs can say all they want, but will never describe the actual feel.

Status means nothing to me... Comfort, value and quality do. The value in Lexus is in its quality and comfort.

As has been said before. So long as you buy a Toyota product, you can't go wrong. I've never been let down by any of my Toyotas...Seven so far.
Old 06-21-05, 12:05 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Why are people posting in this thread? If you want a GX, get one. If you want a 4Runner, get one.
Affordability, status, intended use, personal preference all have something to do with it. They are built side-by-side in Japan, the quality is the same. GX def. has nice upgrades and Toyota is smart, they step it up for each level of trim.

Please let this stupid debate die!
Old 06-21-05, 01:32 PM
SacKen
Driver

HERE LIES THE GREAT
"4-RUNNER VS GX470"
DEBATE

GRACED OUR PRESENCE
JANUARY 5, 2004
DEPARTED THIS WORLD
JANUARY 17, 2004

REST IN PEACE, MY FRIEND

DUG UP FROM THE SHALLOW GRAVE
AND STOMPED TO DUST
JUNE 13, 2005

Last edited by SacKen; 06-30-05 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 03:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RX469
Can we have a group hug then go out and enjoy our SUVs. peace.
Here here
It's ok to debate in a civilized way, otherwise nobody will be asking any questions. We'll just be then. At least someone who is considering either one will have different POV
Old 06-21-05, 08:22 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPrado
Why are people posting in this thread? If you want a GX, get one. If you want a 4Runner, get one.
Affordability, status, intended use, personal preference all have something to do with it. They are built side-by-side in Japan, the quality is the same. GX def. has nice upgrades and Toyota is smart, they step it up for each level of trim.

Please let this stupid debate die!
Last I heard, reading threads were a vuluntary act. No one is forcing anyone to read or post to a thread. Obviously some folks find this thread interesting.
Old 06-22-05, 02:29 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I will defend what you have to say ... as long as it makes sense

Originally Posted by rj4510
Last I heard, reading threads were a vuluntary act. No one is forcing anyone to read or post to a thread. Obviously some folks find this thread interesting.
I don't think the idea of killing the thread is meant as an objection to free speech. Perhaps, it is more of a "let's be constructive" metaphor. What was the objective of the original poster, to gain insight or to simply insite negativety. To me, it struck me as this, someone who wanted validation that their choice in buying a 4Runner was the smarter thing to do. For that person, perhaps it was or will be. For the rest of us, we made the GX choice on merits that the 4Runner could not live up to. So, why persist in fostering discussion points based on these subjective ideas and applying them to people of a different mindset. If we wanted a 4Runner, don't you think we would have bought one (after all it IS cheaper).
After all, don't forget who the home team is.
Old 06-29-05, 08:43 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RAM MAN
I looked at the 4Runner and liked it a lot. But the headliner was so low it brushed aginst my hair, same problem I had with our Subaru Outback. The GX470 has another 2" of head room, still not as much head room as my Dodge Ram but much better for me than the 4Runner.
Best reason I've read. You get more head when you drive a GX

Quick Reply: Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??