GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 08:55 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
If we wanted a 4Runner, don't you think we would have bought one (after all it IS cheaper).
Less expensive Since it is made in the same factory, same quality construction and materials it is "less expensive" not cheaper. Example a Landcruiser uses a stiffer harder leather then a LX470 but it is not cheaper just less expensive (form/function). It's all about image and luxury with the GX470 and more of a form/function thing with the 4runner. Both great vehicles with different targeted buyers.
Old 06-29-05, 09:59 PM
LexFather

BTW, its 4-Runner, not Forerunner

Old 06-30-05, 09:06 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool More than simple semantics, Manufacturer definition

Originally Posted by PitBull
Less expensive Since it is made in the same factory, same quality construction and materials it is "less expensive" not cheaper. Example a Landcruiser uses a stiffer harder leather then a LX470 but it is not cheaper just less expensive (form/function). It's all about image and luxury with the GX470 and more of a form/function thing with the 4runner. Both great vehicles with different targeted buyers.
Actually, I think I was accurate in what I said. True, the 4Runner, is less expensive. But, do you really believe that ALL the components are of the same calibre? I don't think so, nor would it equate to why the lexus owners would have paid more for the SAME components. (i.e. Standard Headlight housing vs. Projector housings, Wood trim vs. Plastic trim, Illuminated gauges vs. EL display, etc.) I don't think that it is simply "less expensive". This is more of a lesser component grade/finish selection for the Toyota, HENCE cheaper. Not to sound like an arrogant jerk, but hey ... it is, what it is.
Old 06-30-05, 09:54 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Actually, I think I was accurate in what I said. True, the 4Runner, is less expensive. But, do you really believe that ALL the components are of the same calibre? I don't think so, nor would it equate to why the lexus owners would have paid more for the SAME components. (i.e. Standard Headlight housing vs. Projector housings, Wood trim vs. Plastic trim, Illuminated gauges vs. EL display, etc.) I don't think that it is simply "less expensive". This is more of a lesser component grade/finish selection for the Toyota, HENCE cheaper. Not to sound like an arrogant jerk, but hey ... it is, what it is.
I guess a better way to understand what I am saying would be with an example. 4runner = a guy in a rugged leather jacket, Levi blue jeans, and Timberland leather boots. GX470 = a guy in a designer brand Gucci leather jacket, designer Armati blue jeans with pretty buttons, and Gucci soft leather boots with silver coated eyelets. I think it speaks more to the intended function of the vehicle and how/who it is marketed too. I would buy a GX470 for someone that wants the best Luxury midsize SUV made and I would buy a 4runner, for someone that wants the best bang for the buck rugged midsize SUV made. I guess if you think that a pair of Timerland leather boots are "cheaper" versus "less expensive" then a pair of Gucci boots then that is your opinion and I respect that. I just think it is best defined a intended purpose of the product. JMHO
Old 06-30-05, 12:48 PM
SacKen
Driver

I thought this was all pretty rediculous before... now we are at the point of discussing the semantic differences between the terms "cheaper" and "less expensive"??

At least the return of this thread is giving me a good laugh

... and the guy wearing Gucci is probably more likely to valet park than regular park, go to Ruth's Chris instead of Sizzler, and buy the nice bottle of wine and not the cheap swill. So I would say that yes, the guy in the Levi's and Tims is "cheaper"
Old 06-30-05, 02:30 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SacKen

... and the guy wearing Gucci is probably more likely to valet park than regular park, go to Ruth's Chris instead of Sizzler, and buy the nice bottle of wine and not the cheap swill. So I would say that yes, the guy in the Levi's and Tims is "cheaper"
I think you are probably right, the GX owner is obviously a superior human being, better looking, better taste, more intelligent, etc. Damn, I doubt they would even sell me one. I also doubt I could remember the secret hand shake
Old 06-30-05, 05:00 PM
LexFather

I don't think we are but we should never clown our Toyota cousins. The 4-runner is a damn good vehicle, as refined as they come, until you get to the Lexus level of sophistication.
The GX has won 4x4 of the year 2 times in a row.
Old 07-01-05, 08:59 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink And as for the rest of us .....

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think we are but we should never clown our Toyota cousins. The 4-runner is a damn good vehicle, as refined as they come, until you get to the Lexus level of sophistication.
The GX has won 4x4 of the year 2 times in a row.

I hope most of these comments are done in good nature, as were my last comments on "cheaper". My comments for the most part are tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes the emoticons just don't convey a true emotional nature. Nothing malicious intended. But, there are times, when I do wonder how some people arrive at their conclusions. Common sense not withstanding. I guess we all arrive in different flavours and tastes ...

And yes, the 4Runner is a good truck. I don't think anyone in this forum is calling that into question. What I found odd was the original intent of the thread, and what that focus was leading to. "That we spent more to get less letters in the name?" When actually, we spent more to get more from our purchase. How hard is that to understand....

Besides, isn't this a better use of this particular thread. To talk about nonsense, when the original purpose was to foster goofy thinking ... (OK, that was a jab )

BTW ... I like the pictures you posted to emphasize the differences. Another moment when "a picture is worth a thousand words" .. and who has time for that much reading

Last edited by ADVocate; 07-01-05 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Some additional thoughts
Old 07-01-05, 10:42 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

BTW ... I like the pictures you posted to emphasize the differences. Another moment when "a picture is worth a thousand words" .. and who has time for that much reading
I hear you man, when you see the 4runner next to the GX470 it makes you wonder why Toyota/Lexus designers put the better looking body design on the 4runner? Same with tires, half the time I see more GX470's with the cheaper Dunlops/Brigstones and 4runners with the twice as expensive and better rated Michelin cross terrains??
Old 07-01-05, 06:38 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
I hear you man, when you see the 4runner next to the GX470 it makes you wonder why Toyota/Lexus designers put the better looking body design on the 4runner?
4Runner better looking than the GX!!! Hmmm I see a more rugged looking truck! IMHO the 4Runner lost most of its charm in 2003. Mechanically though, the truck is far superior to my 99. We all see things differently and that's just my opinion.
Old 07-01-05, 08:26 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rj4510
4Runner better looking than the GX!!! Hmmm I see a more rugged looking truck! IMHO the 4Runner lost most of its charm in 2003. Mechanically though, the truck is far superior to my 99. We all see things differently and that's just my opinion.
I was just kidding with ADVocate, I think they are both good looking from the front but they both have a ugly *** on them. I like the *** end of the LX470 and the Landcruiser. Seems like with the little brothers they just kind of quit when they got to the end.
Old 07-02-05, 01:08 AM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

I think that if you get the spoiler in the rear for both it squares it off mcuh better and flows with the lines of both much better. COmpare these to pics above.

The one I find interesting about this discussion is that the GX is marketed in the lux section and the 4Runner in the midsize section. Yet they put the 4WD button and foot ebrake in the 4RUnner and the hand lever for 4WD and hand ebrake in the GX You would think the lux segment woul prefer to free up space in the center console area by using buttons and foot ebrake, while the more rugged vesion would work better with hand operated stuff. Toyota messed up on that one. Wish I could switch a couple of features between the 2.

Oh and the 4Runner's cup holders are much better than the GX's
Old 07-02-05, 06:34 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bliksem
I think that if you get the spoiler in the rear for both it squares it off mcuh better and flows with the lines of both much better. COmpare these to pics above.

The one I find interesting about this discussion is that the GX is marketed in the lux section and the 4Runner in the midsize section. Yet they put the 4WD button and foot ebrake in the 4RUnner and the hand lever for 4WD and hand ebrake in the GX You would think the lux segment woul prefer to free up space in the center console area by using buttons and foot ebrake, while the more rugged vesion would work better with hand operated stuff. Toyota messed up on that one. Wish I could switch a couple of features between the 2.

I agree, and the tire issue is weird. Like I've said before, I see all of these GX's with DunFlop's on them and then I see 4runners with the Michelin Cross Terrains. So Lexus puts cheap tires on the Luxury Vehicle and premium tires on the midsize offering. I guess they don't think Americans are smart enough to know the difference.
Old 07-02-05, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bliksem

thats because GX is called Toyota Landcruiser (120) aka Prado in rest of the world, and has great deal of tradition to maintain, while 4-Runner is NA only, cheaper alternative. While GX sells great in the US, Prado sells even better in Europe which is much, much tougher market for SUV's.
Old 07-02-05, 10:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Pretty good discussions here.
However, I wish the dang GX rear window can roll down like the 4runner

I'm not sure how most you will have a take on this but, if the GX is the same price as the 4runner, what would you pick?

Quick Reply: Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??