GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Driveshaft Availability

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 04:10 AM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a call yesterday from my dealer indicating that my driveshaft is in. I've waited over 2 months for the part and would have waited longer if I didn't call Lexus customer service in CA. It took one week of discussions with them and, "mysteriously' my part showed up at the dealer -- the squeeky wheel gets the grease, that's for sure!!!

Generally speaking, I have to say that I am disappointed with Lexus. Although I love the car, I am having a hard time settling on the fact the a dealer mechanic will be doing major surgery on a $50k car with only 7500 miles on it to replace the driveshaft. In addtiion, they are going to install the parts to address the steering while vibration I get between 65-70 MPH. Considerng the magnitude and complexity of the issues, I told them to buy the car back and replace it with one that was 'fixed' as a part of the assembly process. Lexus will hear nothing of it -- Their statement is: "...that's what warrenties are for." Does anyone else feel this way or is it only me --or-- am I just overreacting? Thx.
Old 06-26-04, 06:34 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by RAINMN60
Considerng the magnitude and complexity of the issues, I told them to buy the car back and replace it with one that was 'fixed' as a part of the assembly process. Lexus will hear nothing of it -- Their statement is: "...that's what warrenties are for." Does anyone else feel this way or is it only me --or-- am I just overreacting? Thx.
Driveshaft replacement is not major surgery, and the steering vib is just a harmonic problem that they will isolate and fix. Relax and enjoy the Lexus warranty experience. Plan the service when you have a lot of driving to do, use the full tank of gas in the Lexus loaner car on their dime. Make sure your GX is dirty so they can clean and vac for you. Attitude is everything. Enjoy the service and treatment don't fight it.
Old 06-26-04, 08:18 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Originally posted by PitBull
Driveshaft replacement is not major surgery, and the steering vib is just a harmonic problem that they will isolate and fix. Relax and enjoy the Lexus warranty experience. Plan the service when you have a lot of driving to do, use the full tank of gas in the Lexus loaner car on their dime. Make sure your GX is dirty so they can clean and vac for you. Attitude is everything. Enjoy the service and treatment don't fight it.
Pitbull? You work for Lexus? Or have Lexus stock?
Old 06-26-04, 02:25 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by geewiss
Pitbull? You work for Lexus? Or have Lexus stock?
Just trying to make the guy feel good about his crappy GX
Old 06-28-04, 07:43 AM
AMVAT
Driver School Candidate

Default Drive shaft thump fix fails

The GX went back in this morning. The comment from the service shop was maybe the shaft needed balancing! Since the thump happens when I'm stopped, it can't be a balance problem. I had a fairly big thump this morning on my way to Lexus of Rockville, even my wife felt it (we hadn't had our coffee yet).

This just isn't right for a $50,000 vehicle. I live in DC, anyone know the lemon laws here.
Old 06-28-04, 07:56 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Drive shaft thump fix fails

Originally posted by AMVAT
The GX went back in this morning. The comment from the service shop was maybe the shaft needed balancing! Since the thump happens when I'm stopped, it can't be a balance problem. I had a fairly big thump this morning on my way to Lexus of Rockville, even my wife felt it (we hadn't had our coffee yet).

This just isn't right for a $50,000 vehicle. I live in DC, anyone know the lemon laws here.
I have experience with the thump. It is slack being taken up in the drivetrain. It is not a "PROBLEM" I had 137K miles on a Toyota Landcruiser that had the thump since it was new. You can lessen the thump by keeping the drivetrain lubed, but sometimes all of the planets align and you get a thump, (feels like someone just bumped you). The GX470 is a "REAL" off road vehicle with the drivetrain to go off road. Go here and ask about the thump www.ih8mud.com

PS- I just hope they don't start taking the driveshaft off the truck and balance it, all they might do is screw up the balance

Good Luck.
Old 06-30-04, 11:36 AM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

I just had my drive shaft replaced on Monday night. So far the new drive shaft has fixed the thump.

It took my dealer only a week to get the replacement drive shaft in.
Old 07-06-04, 07:47 AM
AMVAT
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear the fix worked for you. Unfortunately, the fix has not worked for me. I gave it two weeks to see how it settled out. After "polishing the shaft and adding more grease than recommended by Lexus", I now sometimes have a small thump when I pull away from a stop and the thump after stopping has returned! Maybe my drivetrain was built on a Friday after somone's retirement lunch......

I have a call in to the Service Manager at Lexus of Rockville this morning, we'll see how that turns out (if he returns my call).
Old 07-13-04, 05:39 AM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

I had my driveshaft replaced on 6/30. I took the car on vacation over the 4th of July week and everything seemed fine. Today, I'm coming to work, stop at a light, and "thump" -- it's back! I thought I felt it yesterday, as well, but I attributed it to my imagination. I'm calling the dealership this AM. Keep you posted..
Old 07-13-04, 08:08 AM
AMVAT
Driver School Candidate

I took the GX in to Rockville and went for a drive with a technician. He was able to feel the "looseness" in the drivetrain as we pulled away from a stop as well as immediately after a stop. He said this is normal in these vehicles and the driveshaft fix was only to stop the big "hit from the rear" thump. I have had one big thump since round two of the fix (polish the shaft and add grease). If I have another big thump, I think I'll give the GX back to Lexus, it just doesn't feel safe when that thump happens. I'm still not happy that the small thumps/looseness are considered normal by Lexus.
Old 07-16-04, 09:43 AM
cmoore1353
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Well, I took my GX in to get the outside bottom of my door replaced because it fell off twice, and I complained about the thump. They replaced my driveshaft the same day.

About 5 days later, I'm driving and I came to a stop and it sounded like the something was about to fall off in the back bottom of my car. i thought I was imagining it, so I kept going and it did it four more times.

I put the car back in the shop, but they can't find anything. Yeah, okay, it is still embarassing. I tell you, everyone I know used to respect me for driving a Lexus, now they just thank God that they don't.
Old 07-16-04, 11:37 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How many are affected have the G or E models?

So most of you guys affected have the 9700G and E models from 2004? I haven't had this problem yet and I am hitting 8k on my GX 9700G. Bought it in April of 2004.

Last edited by Tony; 07-16-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-17-04, 02:54 AM
mchippo
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Drive Shaft Replacement : Return of the Thump

I have to agree with the comment made by the Rockville Lexus Technician in AMVATS response above. I had the drive shaft replaced about 3 weeks ago. For the first week, there were no thumps and a much tighter feel for the drive train. However, now I am starting to feel very small thumps again. I have not had the big "hit in the rear" thump since the driveshaft replacement. Hopefully that is gone. The small thumps are much softer and are only bothersome because my gut reaction is to try and feel them every time I drive the vehicle and come to a stop. Wish I could just forget about it.

Dave
Old 07-17-04, 01:11 PM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

Re: Prior post of mine ... I had the driveshaft replaced about 3 weeks ago.
Problems started about 1 week after I received the fix. A experienced two stronger 'thumps' this past week. Someone was in the car with me when it happened and they thought I was hit from behind. I'm disgusted with Lexus. The car only has 8k on it and I want them to replace it!! I'm sick and tired of complaining about the same issue. I hope that don't give me the bull**** line: "This is normal." I plan on pursuing the lemon law if this continues.
Old 07-17-04, 04:36 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Well I have had my driveshaft replaced about 2 weeks ago. I have driven the truck probably about 400 miles since I have had it replaced. I am pretty sure that I have felt the thump again. It was very faint but it was there. I am going to give it some time before I start complaining to lexus again. I really dont feel like going through this whole process again!!!!! This is BS!!!