GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Driveshaft Availability

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 11:42 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Availability

Ok, I have been calling my local Lexus dealer (Lexus of Annapolis) and it seems that I have been getting the run around about getting my driveshaft replaced. About 4 months ago he said they should have the driveshaft in a few weeks. Well, every time I call I get another story. Today the story was that the manufacturer has 640 on back order nationwide and that they are only shipping out 80 at a time. But of course I am the first on the list, YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

Anyone else have these sort of problems? Please provide any advice.

Unhappy Lexus GX470 owner.
Old 06-08-04, 05:06 AM
Traturn
Driver

If you've waited 4 months already after a driveshaft being ordered, someone may well be giving you mis-information(dont want to say 'Lie'). I've ordered about 5 driveshafts in the past 2 months, I get each in about 2 weeks. The demand is greater than the supply and Lexus has setup an extra hoop that needs to be jumped thru in order to obtain them (manual allocation). Right now, Lexus is not shipping any driveshafts that are just going on to dealers shelves for stock. Customer relations issues only. You have one of these issues, and they should really be able to get you a driveshaft, in my opinion.

I know it may be hard to believe, but sometime the service & parts departments do not communicate perfectly and one slips thru the cracks. I've you're going on 4 months, I would guess this MAY be the case. As a consumer I would ask to see the order number and look at the date of it for your piece of mind. If its been ordered, its been ordered. The suppliers cant ship what they dont have and sometimes parts do take a month or more to get, though uncommmon.

Good luck
Old 06-09-04, 06:21 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my local dealers policy is that a letter will be sent to you by the parts manager and explain the parts you are waiting on and the expected arrival date if you wait for over 2 weeks.

For my case, all 4 parts for the TSB 00404 arrived in 4 weeks.

I suggest you make a phone call to Lexus 800 number and complain about your local dealer.
Old 06-09-04, 07:22 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Do you have the Lexus 800 number handy?
Old 06-09-04, 09:02 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i think ur problem is that ur dealer is saying that "we ordered the part", hate to say, just to make us customers shut up. So what u should do is bug ur dealer till they get u ur driveshaft.
Old 06-09-04, 09:40 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800-25LEXUS (800-255-2987)

Have you talked to your local dealer's service manager?
Old 06-09-04, 12:06 PM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

Default Driveshaft on Order

I just received a call from the dealer indicating that my replacement driveshaft is still on backorder. It has been over 3 weeks since it was in last, supposively to install the parts to fix this problem. "They had missing parts." -- yea, right! Once the parts arrive, this will be the 3rd attempt to try to address these problem.

I have both the vibration and clunking (driveshaft) problem. I am a prior owner of BMWs before purchasing my first Lexus and I NEVER had issues like this. --- I'm not a happy Lexus owner!!
Old 06-09-04, 10:40 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Ok, today I called the 800 Lexus number and of course they sounded very concerned. He took all of my information down and stated that he will pass this to the local "support" person for my area and I should hear something from them soon.

All of my contact has been with my dealers service manager so far. It doesn't seem to have made any difference. It is rediculus that I have to go through all of this to get a 50K vehicle to run like it should.
Old 06-10-04, 08:52 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Have u guys tried going to several local or fairly near Lexus dealers?
Old 06-11-04, 07:20 AM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

I just took my GX in for 20K service and had them check the clunk problem. My service advisor gave me a call this morning and said the drive shaft is ordered and will be in by the middle of next week.

A side note, my dealer must have worked on my GX last night. I brought it in at 7:30 pm and they left me a voice message a 1:40 am this morning!
Old 06-12-04, 12:39 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

I have been waiting for my driveshaft for almost 2 months.
Old 06-13-04, 07:58 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Ok guys and gals, here is the deal.

This friday I took the GX in for 10K service. I called Lexus corp. on Tues and informed them of the run around that I was getting in reference to the driveshaft. When I got into the dealership the district manager happened to be there and was addressing some issues (I assumed mine) until they told me they have no idea when the driveshaft will be in. I could not believe that I was getting the same lame story. I still left it there for the service because they were going to fix the other vibration, air conditioning and the outside temp gauge. About five mins after I left the dealership the service manager called and informed that they do indeed have the driveshaft now and they will be installing it as well. WOO HOO, I might finally be a happy lexus owner.

I will not pick it up until Tuesday. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 06-13-04, 02:48 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Squeaky wheel syndrome. Now the service manager will probably have to explain to another GX owner that their drive shaft replacement has been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old 06-13-04, 03:21 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Is this really what you think is going on? They gave me someone else's driveshaft because of my complaints to Lexus Corp?
Old 06-13-04, 03:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The scenario goes like this.........

Customer complains to dealer re. drive shaft replacement availability. Customer calls Lexus Corp because he isn't getting satisfaction from the dealer. Corp sends district manager out to dealer. Dealer claims he has no idea when drive shaft will be available. District manager, dealer and Lexus Corp huddle. The QB says GET this customer what he wants. Miraculously, your drive shaft is found. One squeaky wheel customer is happy, another clueless customer has to wait for another drive shaft. I could be wrong but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess how that afternoon possibly went.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Availability