GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Interesting Issue after installing XenonDepot HID's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-04, 09:58 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting Issue after installing XenonDepot HID's

I had to remove the Proxenon Kit from my GX because the lights wouldn't stay in the socket. In fact one of the bulbs began to melt the H11 socket

Everything came out fine. I choose to run the wires near the firewall instead of by the radiator. Didn't want the wires in the way of anyone servicing the truck, plus I felt it would be cooler near the firewall up tight inside that plastic panel.

When turning the lights on (while the vehicle is started), my undetectible K40 radar detector bleeps like it's starting up for the first time. Is it possible that the startup load of turning these lights on is dropping the voltage down enough to make some devices reboot (my K40)?

I don't remember a necessarily large fuse for connection to the battery to the kits relay, so I'm perplexed that these lights could be drawing too much.

Anyone have similar issues?

Last edited by looknow12; 08-08-04 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-08-04, 10:51 AM
LexLuder
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not good to hear, I was planning to get me a set soon,
Old 08-08-04, 01:31 PM
AGSXH470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the Proxenon hit or the Xenon depot kit?

I know in the title of the post it says xenondepot but then you say proxenon kit in the first line of the post can you let me know which one you are talking about. I just ordered a xenondepot kit and i may cancel the order if this is xenon depot. thanks.
Old 08-08-04, 02:34 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the xenondepot kit and haven't had any issues. It doesn't mess up my radar detector either.
Old 08-09-04, 04:33 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Is this the Proxenon hit or the Xenon depot kit?

Originally posted by AGSXH470
I know in the title of the post it says xenondepot but then you say proxenon kit in the first line of the post can you let me know which one you are talking about. I just ordered a xenondepot kit and i may cancel the order if this is xenon depot. thanks.
Yes.. I removed my Proxenon kit..
Old 08-09-04, 04:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by electro992
Sounds like you somehow wired in incorrectly.
Nothing is wired incorrectly. The biggest thing about this kit is to supply it with 12VDC Positive directly from the battery. If anyone tries to connect directly to somewhere inline instead of the battery, that will definitely cause an issue.

I'm connected directly to the battery.

Kbach? What kind of radar detector? I''m using a K40 Undetectible with LED's mounted in the dash. The unit is Front and Rear Radar and Laser Unit up front.
Old 08-09-04, 05:17 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by looknow12
Nothing is wired incorrectly. The biggest thing about this kit is to supply it with 12VDC Positive directly from the battery. If anyone tries to connect directly to somewhere inline instead of the battery, that will definitely cause an issue.

I'm connected directly to the battery.
Hi Looknow.....

I am using the ProXenon kit on my 04 GX. It does NOT connect directly to the battery. It does NOT have a relay.

Each ballast connects directly to the power source of the original low-beam headlamp. Each low-beam headlamp circuit has it's own 10 amp fuse. Each ballast draws less current than the original lamp.

~ Cap
Old 08-09-04, 05:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Capirato
Hi Looknow.....

I am using the ProXenon kit on my 04 GX. It does NOT connect directly to the battery. It does NOT have a relay.

Each ballast connects directly to the power source of the original low-beam headlamp. Each low-beam headlamp circuit has it's own 10 amp fuse. Each ballast draws less current than the original lamp.

~ Cap
My only mention of the Proxenon kit is that I had to remove it to install the XenonDepot HID's. My new issue is related to the XenonDepot Kit. When turning them on, the surge in power appears to reset my K40.

For the record, I am not referring to Proxenon Bohmen HID's. That kits going in the garbage.
Old 08-09-04, 07:16 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humm thats kinda shady... i thought that xenons burned cooler then regular hallogen bulbs...
i'll take a look at my houseing sockets.. and i dont notice a power surge when my lights turn on.. maybe theres something wrong with your ballasts.., the ballasts should store power so they dont surge your system, thats the point.. dunno.. you might wanna e-mail steve.
hopefully everyone else with the XD kits will chime in also
Old 08-10-04, 03:36 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kash
humm thats kinda shady... i thought that xenons burned cooler then regular hallogen bulbs...
i'll take a look at my houseing sockets.. and i dont notice a power surge when my lights turn on.. maybe theres something wrong with your ballasts.., the ballasts should store power so they dont surge your system, thats the point.. dunno.. you might wanna e-mail steve.
hopefully everyone else with the XD kits will chime in also
I will email Steve about the resetting of the K40 upon startup.

On the other issue, I noticed the socket was burned when I took out the Proxenon bulbs. This most likely occurred because the damn bulb wouldn't stay in place, so the rod that attaches to the bulb I believe was pressed against the plastic socket housing. (The melted socket is not a XenonDepot Issue).
Old 08-10-04, 09:07 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that might be the case. I definitely agree, and like the fact that they use a relay direct to the battery. All heavy duty systems that draw a decent amount of amps use relays.