GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What Exterior color to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 12:38 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Exterior color to get?

Whether you are are looking for a 2004 or 2005, what GX470 exterior color do you prefer?

I can't decide between Silver, Black or Ash Blue.

Silver is a classy color and easy to keep clean, because even when dirty it looks clean most of the time. It's also a friendly neutral color too!

Black is an even classier color with a formal look to it (making it look more expensive IMHO) but is a chore to keep clean.

Ash Blue is an interesting Grayish color in between black and silver and something different. I have not seen many Ash Blue Colors out there. Anyone have this color and can post pics?

I would appreciate your comments in which color you prefer and why you like that color to make my decision easier.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-04, 06:40 AM
StevenS
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't advise black!

I had a problem in deciding on the color myself but I had to choise between black, ash blue and gold (colors that my dealer had in stock). My choise would be silver or white (I think the best color for this vehicle), but these colors wasn't available for me.
My wife vote against gold, so it was out. I didn't like ash blue so much, so I took black. Now I am thinking that it was a mistake. I actually had a black vehicle prior and knew that this is a problematic color and still made this mistake again.
The main problem with the black is not to keep it clean - it is to keep the paint in good condition. The black
color doesn't have a clear coat (clear liquer on top of the main paint). As a result it very easy destoyed by even bird dropping. You need to clear it right away or they leave marks difficult to clean. The other problem is of course the swirl that you would always have.
In your place I would get silver without questions. But if white is available take a look at it.
Old 11-08-04, 06:49 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Exterior color to get?

Originally posted by lexguynj
Whether you are are looking for a 2004 or 2005, what GX470 exterior color do you prefer?

I can't decide between Silver, Black or Ash Blue.

Silver is a classy color and easy to keep clean, because even when dirty it looks clean most of the time. It's also a friendly neutral color too!

Black is an even classier color with a formal look to it (making it look more expensive IMHO) but is a chore to keep clean.

Ash Blue is an interesting Grayish color in between black and silver and something different. I have not seen many Ash Blue Colors out there. Anyone have this color and can post pics?

I would appreciate your comments in which color you prefer and why you like that color to make my decision easier.

Thanks again!
I'm a big fan of silver-coloured automobiles. My wife wanted her `04 GX470 to "look like" my `04 Millenium Silver/Ecru SC430, so I purchased it in Silver Pine Metallic/Ivory livery. I've always purchased silver or white cars, simply because those colours never seemed to "date" the vehicles. The first "new" vehicle I owned was a red Lancia Beta Coupe (a car that deserves its own forum) and I became sick of the colour long before I tired of the car. Black cars, which Lexus does very well, only look good when VERY clean. I found the Ash Blue on the GX470 to be an interesting colour. I liked it; but I did not think it wouldn't hold my interest as long as the Silver Pine Metallic colour would.

Hope this helps. You will enjoy the GX470 tremendously regardless of the colour you choose!
Old 11-08-04, 07:25 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Color

Ash Blue with charcoal Int. And some 22"
Old 11-08-04, 08:16 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Don't advise black!

Originally posted by StevenS
I had a problem in deciding on the color myself but I had to choise between black, ash blue and gold (colors that my dealer had in stock). My choise would be silver or white (I think the best color for this vehicle), but these colors wasn't available for me.
My wife vote against gold, so it was out. I didn't like ash blue so much, so I took black. Now I am thinking that it was a mistake. I actually had a black vehicle prior and knew that this is a problematic color and still made this mistake again.
The main problem with the black is not to keep it clean - it is to keep the paint in good condition. The black
color doesn't have a clear coat (clear liquer on top of the main paint). As a result it very easy destoyed by even bird dropping. You need to clear it right away or they leave marks difficult to clean. The other problem is of course the swirl that you would always have.
In your place I would get silver without questions. But if white is available take a look at it.
I did not like the Gold Exterior either. Black looks great but you bring up a good point, it's just a lot of work to maintain. Silver seems to my top choice at this moment, but my wife doesn't like the Black Leather Interior, so it'll have to be the lighter color leather interior.

The wife of course always has the final say which always seems to be the case in my household!

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-08-04 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-08-04, 08:17 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Color

Originally posted by angelslex
Angelslex - post some photos and I am all over that color!
Old 11-08-04, 08:19 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: What Exterior color to get?

Originally posted by LeslieRC
I'm a big fan of silver-coloured automobiles. My wife wanted her `04 GX470 to "look like" my `04 Millenium Silver/Ecru SC430, so I purchased it in Silver Pine Metallic/Ivory livery. I've always purchased silver or white cars, simply because those colours never seemed to "date" the vehicles. The first "new" vehicle I owned was a red Lancia Beta Coupe (a car that deserves its own forum) and I became sick of the colour long before I tired of the car. Black cars, which Lexus does very well, only look good when VERY clean. I found the Ash Blue on the GX470 to be an interesting colour. I liked it; but I did not think it wouldn't hold my interest as long as the Silver Pine Metallic colour would.

Hope this helps. You will enjoy the GX470 tremendously regardless of the colour you choose!
Silver is a classic color and I don't think you can go wrong with it either way. The other colors seem to have gripes about them, but Silver the only gripe I can think about, is it's such a popular color everyone has it? That's not that bad at all. Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 11-08-04, 11:26 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a choice of Silver or Gold and went with the Gold. It just looks richer to me and it matches our other Lexus. It's a good color for hiding dirt as well.
Old 11-08-04, 12:23 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Black is just too hard to keep clean even in moderate climates. My ex black GS400 was only driven in the rain three times in five years and the precipitation was not forecast in all three instances. That's going to an extreme for sure My GX is black although my choice would have been Blizzard Pearl but the low build level of KDSS trucks made that too slim a possibility. It looks great when it's clean with the extra tint and chrome wheels but it shows every speck of anything. I do use a California Carduster frequently, too frequently. I have the MagnaShield so insect bodies and bird poop are easily removed.

The Silver Pine is nice since it has the slightest hint of green like the ES330 Millennium Siver, which makes it stand out among silver colored vehicles. You are all too young but I owned two, silver, Olds 442's way back when you could get them from the factory with Hurst shifters.
Old 11-08-04, 01:41 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

A 2004 Silver Pine with Ivory Interior & Fully loaded (No KDSS) is on the way to the Dealership, so it's still tempting me (they are still getting lots of 2004s in?!)

Damn - the more I discuss this and how much I want to see what the 2005 changes, this cost savings issue becomes more and more of a significant issue.
Old 11-08-04, 03:40 PM
lexite
Driver

Just remember that when it comes to color, it is very very personal choice.

I bought a silver one and pretty happy with the choice for the most part. However, black is the most rewarding one if you detail the car yourself. But it is also very suceptible to swirls and minor paint blemishes. So, if I am buying an exotic weekend only car, it would be black for sure. I detail my cars myself and silver just does not get that extra pop that you get with black. But then it gets over within a couple of days or so...

If I had to start all over again, I'll probably buy a blizzard white one , which I think has more depth than silver. It looks fabulous.
Old 11-08-04, 10:16 PM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

My vote is for Black and my second choice is Ash Blue. When I got my GX, Black and Ash Blue was not in stock the we wanted it.

Both my Lexus's (GS and GX) are Black. Can not beat the looks after it has been washed and waxed.
Old 11-09-04, 07:02 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the blue hehe for my first one.. yeah the black looks better but mantinance is ALOT higher
the black doesnt have a clear coat.. and if ur anil like me u can see everything i have a bunch of scratches on it.. not deep or anything but there visible if u go hunting.. but the look is great compared to the blue
Old 11-09-04, 07:30 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Default Black/Black

I think they should offer a BLACK interior option for the Black GX... IMO Black vehicles with Black leather interior simply look "rich" and luxurious... I had an 02 black/black ES...and I bet you couldn't find a preowned one for sale if you tried... seriously.. i bet ya ! =) (I've tried) I currently still have a Black/Black GS4 and like everyone else says... it's a hassle to keep clean.. but when it is, ooooohhhhh weeeeeee I know, I know... it gets hot... but add some tint and call it a day.... And the black interior with wood accents look amazing... (I have extra wood on the cupholders, nav, etc..).. and mine is a 98 !! Most people are amazed when I tell them what year it is... even those that also OWN a GS... They often comment on how mine looks totally different on the inside. Anyway... just my 2 cents... My GX is Blue Meridian pearl... a color in which (apparantly) not many of you like. But I LOVE it.. and chose that color specifically... not because of lack of stock. To each is own though... yanno. I dont care at ALL for the ash blue...at least in the GX.. I've seen an SC or 2 that look hot in that color. The Gold and Sandwhatever... look not too appealing to me either... but hey... its a GX... it looks better than whatever your rolling next too in WHATEVER color you decide on!

Last edited by GXLUV; 11-09-04 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 08:24 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Color

Originally posted by angelslex

Quick Reply: What Exterior color to get?