GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone try Bridgestone Dueler Revo's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 08:33 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try Bridgestone Dueler Revo's?

Howdy,

Finally decided to register, though I have lurked here in the past from time to time. I have a 2003 GX that primarily serves as my wife's glorified minivan; however about 12-15 times a year I use it to meander around my family's coastal ranch (i.e., steep hills and narrow, cliff traversing roads). There have been a few instances, such as wet grass and mud, where even with all of the GX's bag of 4X4 tricks, I have barely made it out of a few precarious situations. I'm by no means attempting to explore the GX's limits, as a mistake can mean death, a very long walk, or worst of all, explaining scratches to my wife's pride and joy.

Hence, as a tire company has finally made a real all-terrain tire for the GX (i.e., the Revo's), which is thankfully the seemingly best AT tire, I am seriously thinking of swapping out the OE Cross-Terrains. From what I have researched the noise and ride with the Bridgestones will be a only a little worse than the Michelins, but be better in all aspects of performance offroad AND onroad.

Is this true? Any experience out there? My wife will kill me if I put a set of rough and ready, rumbling tires on her gilded chariot, but I really need more offroad prowess.

Thanks,

Martin
Old 01-04-05, 10:27 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tons of the guys over on www.toyota-4runner.org have put the revo's on and love them. I'm looking to put on revo's once the stock dunlops wear out.
Old 01-04-05, 10:56 AM
GX470Blue
Driver School Candidate

How much do those tires cost?
Old 01-04-05, 01:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

yotatech.com also has lots of revo fans, tirerack.com has them for 143 a tire, and if you go up a size to 265/70 17 they are 134, but check around cause their in high demand
Old 01-04-05, 04:14 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Default Thanks for the link pbm!

Well any hesitancy I had about the Revo's has been alleviated. Those 4-Runner folks seemingly view the Revo as the Holy Grail of tires, place it even above the Toyo Open Country.

Appreciate it.
Old 05-19-05, 05:32 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Well any hesitancy I had about the Revo's has been alleviated. Those 4-Runner folks seemingly view the Revo as the Holy Grail of tires, place it even above the Toyo Open Country.

Appreciate it.
Toyo actually has a brand new Open Country model called the H/T. Have a look.

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OpenCountryHTEN.html
Old 05-19-05, 09:00 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Thanks Lexus Freak,

I've had the Open Country AT's and thought them a great tire, albeit they wear quickly. I've had the Revo's on for about 5K miles and really like them. Their wet, dry and hydroplane resistance is truly outstanding. They are noticeably heavier, with a stiffer sidewall and slightly higher noise levels than the Michelin X-Country's; but nothing objectionalble. Let's just say the wife noticed the difference, but also noticed the performance gains to the point where she approved of the upgrade.

I also finally had a chance to thoroughly test them off-road and in the mud. They really dig-in compared to the Michelins, and inspire a lot more confidence in low traction situations. Plus, I think they compliment the true nature of the GX more so than all of the GX's in these parts with 20" chrome spinners

Martin
Old 05-19-05, 09:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Thanks Lexus Freak,

I've had the Open Country AT's and thought them a great tire, albeit they wear quickly. I've had the Revo's on for about 5K miles and really like them. Their wet, dry and hydroplane resistance is truly outstanding. They are noticeably heavier, with a stiffer sidewall and slightly higher noise levels than the Michelin X-Country's; but nothing objectionalble. Let's just say the wife noticed the difference, but also noticed the performance gains to the point where she approved of the upgrade.

I also finally had a chance to thoroughly test them off-road and in the mud. They really dig-in compared to the Michelins, and inspire a lot more confidence in low traction situations. Plus, I think they compliment the true nature of the GX more so than all of the GX's in these parts with 20" chrome spinners

Martin
I don't think you will have a problem with these new Toyo's wearing out quickly with a 640 treadwear rating. Something to consider down the road.
Old 05-19-05, 10:00 AM
lexusdr
Rookie

Here is my experience with the Revo's. They are nice tires BUT one must remember they are all terrains, and as such there is NOTICEBLE increased road noise. I returned them after 14 days, under Bridgestone's 30 days guarantee (very nice). I upgraded to their NEW Aleza's made specifically for luxury SUV's. More expensive but VERY QUIET and great ride and handling.
Old 05-19-05, 10:09 AM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

I have Revos on my 03 4Runner and Mitchelin X terrians on the 05 GX.

Revos are more noisy, but not unbearable. On the GX it will be less noticeable than the 4R. ALso expect slight hit on MPG. However their grip on any type of surface will put even the Mitchelins to shame. I have been reaaly impressed with the offroad performance thus far as well.

SO for me I will probably stick with the Mitchelins on the GX and Revos on the 4Runner as they are used for different purposes.