GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX LCD problem with Frequency Display

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 11:08 AM
bryaniscoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX LCD problem with Frequency Display

I have an 04 GX that did not come with the RSES and I would like to add an LCD screen to the factory location on the roof. Right now, there seems to be an infrared receiver along with a frequency display (for FM, etc) located in the rear of the car. By adding the LCD screen, wouldn't that cause me to lose functionality of these two features?

If so, that really sucks!
Old 03-21-05, 05:07 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryaniscoo
I have an 04 GX that did not come with the RSES and I would like to add an LCD screen to the factory location on the roof. Right now, there seems to be an infrared receiver along with a frequency display (for FM, etc) located in the rear of the car. By adding the LCD screen, wouldn't that cause me to lose functionality of these two features?

If so, that really sucks!
HUH?

Without the RSES comes with RSAS (rear seat audio system). That completely rocks! It is a seperate audio zone fore backseat passengers. It already has a screen to display the source FM, AM, CD, Tape and you can listen to seperate things from the back to the front.

Use the remote that came with it to switch sources and go buy a pair of wireless headphones or uses the jacks by the center console

ie. You can listen to tape over speakers while the kids in the back listen to the CD changer through wire(less) headphones.

My fav feature for my son
Old 03-21-05, 05:36 PM
bryaniscoo
Driver School Candidate

Right now, my vehicle has a small monochromatic LCD that displays the frequency of the station selected via the rear seat controls. There is not a video-capable LCD in the back of my vehicle. I want to keep the functionality of the remote control (receiver built into existing unit on ceiling) along with the ability to display the frequency (also in the same unit) while adding a video-capable LCD display.

I have spoken with Lexus and have been told that this is possible. Apparently I would have to disable the IR transmitter, as it would interfere with the IR transmitters in most LCD screens (for wireless headphones). I was told that I would have to mount the receiver and the small screen in another location, perhaps below the new video-capable LCD. I wanted to know if this is the best solution or if there is some way to have the frequency display on the new video-capable LCD screen, as opposed to the .5" one line display that's there now.
Old 03-22-05, 04:21 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryaniscoo
Right now, my vehicle has a small monochromatic LCD that displays the frequency of the station selected via the rear seat controls. There is not a video-capable LCD in the back of my vehicle. I want to keep the functionality of the remote control (receiver built into existing unit on ceiling) along with the ability to display the frequency (also in the same unit) while adding a video-capable LCD display.

I have spoken with Lexus and have been told that this is possible. Apparently I would have to disable the IR transmitter, as it would interfere with the IR transmitters in most LCD screens (for wireless headphones). I was told that I would have to mount the receiver and the small screen in another location, perhaps below the new video-capable LCD. I wanted to know if this is the best solution or if there is some way to have the frequency display on the new video-capable LCD screen, as opposed to the .5" one line display that's there now.

Ooooo000000hhhhhhh

U want video? Alright! I have a solution (kind of).
If you are going aftermarket, I HIGHLY suggest headrest monitors. They are just a little bit mroe expensive but A LOT BETTER IMHO. You get to keep the stock system that is already there for audio and you add a second system (the headrest monitors).

The only way that you will experience interference is if you are trying to do listen tosomething using the Lexus system while watching the TV. However chances are this will not happen so you need not worry about interference and in fact the headphones are universal so you can use the same headphones to listen to either the Lexus system on channel A (the wireless headphones have 2 different channels)or the left monitor on A and either way you can listen to the right headrest monitor on B.

For example, if I want to play a video game on the headrest monitors but listen to a new CD instead of the game's audio, I will sit on the right side and switch my headphones to channel A with the Lexus system on. In this case, the monitor is projecting channel B and the Lexus is transmitting on A so you can choose either one without interference problems.

If, for example, you sat on the left, both the monitor and the Lexus system (RSAS) will be transmitting on A and therefore you will experience interference. I have never had a problem with this.
The setup is amazing and very Lexus-like. This way, I maintian a perfectly stock look. The only part about the car that is different is the monitors and most people think mine look so well-made that it came like that from the factory. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE.

The drawback is that you will not be able to see the station or disc number on the headrest screens since they are independent of each other. And, with a little help from vais-tech, I will soon be able to add Sirius and watch/listen to whatever is on the headrest monitors on the front navigation screen. Once they come out with the Sirius version, that will make my setup perfect.

Either way, you win. Good luck
Old 03-22-05, 05:34 PM
bryaniscoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. I actually found a company that does a lot of work for a local Lexus dealership. They will be able to disable the existing IR transmitter and keep the receiver (moving it to a new location). The new screen will be in place of the existing unit that houses the interior rear lights (in the center). I realize that it won't look stock, but with a screen over 15", there's no way anyone will confuse it with stock anyway.

I am adding an Icon-TV DVD100 player (due to its extremely small size) either to the center console or glovebox depending on what's easiest (and costs less to install).
Old 07-24-11, 10:41 PM
jessce2011
Driver School Candidate

Shining is specialized on LCD advertising players, with ten different classical designs including all standard sizes from 7inch to 55inch for your choosing. Moreover, Shining is always willing to be your "production base", offerring support on various requirements for all kinds of projects, whatever in software or hardware. Our aim is to make your design idea become reality.

We are shining display, always keep shining!