GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Okay...Here is the GX owner's poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 05:49 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay...Here is the GX owner's poll

I'm not internet savvy enough to create an actual voting button. After reading all the feedback from GX owner's it got me to thinking about the question I should have asked to all GX owners. If money were no object, or the LX and GX were priced exactly the same, which would you buy? Be honest with your feedback. I'm just really interested to see if the price difference is the issue to most or if most who own the GX actually think it's a superior vehicle to the LX. By the way, I'm considering buying a GX for my wife, so I'm really not anti-GX at all.

Sorry to keep beating this issue, but I'm really trying to enlighten myself here and figure out if I missed something when I originally test drove the GX.

John from Boston
Old 03-23-05, 06:29 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Those of us looking at $50k SUV's are probably well off enough to spring another 15k for a vehicle if we REALLY liked it. I would choose the GX every time over the LX simply based on the looks, but add the new engine and its a no brainer.
Old 03-23-05, 07:34 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Agree

I agree - its not that we cant afford the LX...we like the GX (I'm on my second)...
Old 03-23-05, 07:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

LX no question, just this past week I was in the Lexus Dealer and Im shocked at how similiar the GX and LX interiors are, it's like they pulled the LX interior out and stuck it into the GX , the seats the armrests the doors all scream LX, I could have closed my eyes and guessed LX
Old 03-23-05, 07:58 PM
Enigma869
Driver

So Edge...

That's a vote for the GX for you also?
Old 03-24-05, 12:48 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I was the opposite. I paid the same for the LC as what a GX would have cost me.

There was no question in my mind that I was going LC all the way.
Old 03-24-05, 04:40 AM
Enigma869
Driver

I guess I just realized my attempt at a "scientific poll" was greatly flawed by virtue of where I placed my posting. Obviously, if I moved this same thread over to the LX forum, every single person would give the LX as an answer, in spite of its higher price tag! What was I thinking!

John from Boston
Old 03-24-05, 04:53 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt my vote is GX 470.

Even if the GX and LX prices were reversed, it would still be the GX.

Price has nothing to do with it.

In my opinion, It's all about a dated look vs. a new cutting edge look.

It's about a " big boat look" vs the perfect size vehicle.

But everybody has different needs and taste.

Some may need a bigger vehicle if they have a bunch of "tricycle motors" to haul around to soccer games.

But for me, I wouldn't trade my 3 month old GX for a 3 month old LX plus 5K.

Once again 2EachHisOwn.

Old 03-24-05, 05:05 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default Lx

I had a '99 LX with 100k, I wanted new technology, unlike some of the other posters, I could only afford the GX (new)

I would love to have another LX, especially for the highway driving.

But I must say, the GX is a great alternative for me.......
Old 03-24-05, 03:00 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Enigma869
So Edge...

That's a vote for the GX for you also?
nah, for the same price an LX, it may happen with current gas prices
Old 03-24-05, 04:55 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Lightbulb

I see where you're coming from, but not sure if this is going to help to you out

But for us it was the price ( gas mileage and size were next factors).
It was about 15k cheaper, better gas mileage (15 vs 12) and my wife is petite, so it's easier for her to drive.

GX has almost all of the LX goodies, except night-vision.

Overall, if GX and LX are the SAME price, then I would pick the LX (gas mileage won't matter and I guess I'll be driving it more than her then )
Old 03-24-05, 09:27 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Vote here for the GX

In my opinion I already voted (with my wallet). Fact is, most of us could have bought either vehicle without much thought either way. The GX has the same engine as the LX but weights signifiantly less. This means that the GX gets SIGNIFICANTLY better fuel economy. The LX's heads up display is the ONLY feature missing on the GX. Interesting gadget, but not worth even $1,500 extra if you ask me. The GX handles better. The interior on the GX is plenty for my needs (we moved up from an RX). The luxury is the same on both models so no difference there. There is a reason that Lexus is changing the LX... It's dated. The new body style will be built off the Toyota Sequoia frame. That could be a mistake unless they do a GREAT job on the bodywork. Why pay SO much more for SO little more, worse fuel economy, poorer performance, worse handling, etc. For the life of me I just can't see why ANYONE would buy an LX "today"?

PS - While I was having my 5K done on Weds, there was a forgeign couple picking up their new black LX. From the sounds of it, they went in and asked for the most expensive and loaded SUV Lexus sold and were happy with their choice. The dealer told me at the time that they would only be getting 2 or 3 in the next SIX MONTHS! He said that VERY few are being sold because the GX is SO popular. He said that by only having one or two avilable of that long a period, that the one or two buyers willing to shell out the cash would help keep the prices up on a less-desireable model (His words, not mine).

PPS - BTW He didn't know that I was driving a GX at the time. I had been walking around the showroom floor looking at a nice GS430 they jhad. Chatted up the new car and told him I was thinking about moving out of my TL into a GS but once I diiscovered that only the 300 was AWD and that the NAVI still could not be administered while dirving, I was less than interested so we talked about the LX that was going out that day. He learned afterwards that I had a GX in the shop.

Last edited by bunka; 03-24-05 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 11:00 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

As I posted before. For the price I paid for my Land Cruiser, I could have easily purchased the GX. I just liked the LC better. The ride, the reputation, and the general feel of the LC. Not to mention, we loved our previous LC.

We looked at the GC and really have no issues with the interior, but my wife didn't like the color of the wood (too "orangy" ), and preferred the metallic and chrome trim of the LC interior.

All things being the same, I would buy a LX in a heartbeat. Nothing against the GX. It is an impressive vehicle as well, but having lived with the LC/LC platform for so long, we can't imagine driving anything else.

Again, just offering my opinion since it was asked.

Also, can't speak for other areas, but in the Chicago area, LC/LXs are very common. Lot's of them on the road.

Again just curious on what makes the interior of the LX look so dated compared to the GX. Not trying to compare, just curious on your thoughts.

Old 03-25-05, 09:42 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Ugh Gohawks, it's SO obvious! Can't you tell the LX transfer case lever is black! That is SO old-fashioned!
Old 03-26-05, 03:17 AM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

The LX, just for the center armrest alone!

Quick Reply: Okay...Here is the GX owner's poll