GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

NAV Welcome Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 07:24 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my unit from coastaletech on Friday - I was worried about it after reading all the posts and I did try to call them 2 different days and they are pretty impossible to get to answer their phone, I didn't try to email etc. They where closed for the first 2 weeks of Feb, but a week later I got the UPS email that it shipped and received it 7 days later.

I have an 06 and I plugged it in and it works mint - highly recommended for the money - works awesome! It came with good instructions and some jelly bellies even! No complaints about this company from me.

I thought about waiting for the blue tooth, but instead, since I have no patience, I got this kit and figured I would just save the 50 bucks and the waiting and cut the wire that enables bluetooth, since that is an easy fix.

SO if you have an 06 go for it - works mint!

Rob
Old 03-05-06, 03:41 PM
Rick0731
Driver School Candidate

I'm not into cutting wires. Is there anyone else who sells a device that does the same thing? If so, what's the cost? I too have sent emails and not received a reply.....
Old 03-05-06, 03:50 PM
rklages
Pole Position

They are it apparently - I could find nothing else anywhere that would do the trick. The new one with bluetooth support that apprently just shipped to the customers that preordered will do everything without cutting any wires.

I had no issues with them, but they are impossible to get a hold of, you just have to place the order and hope for the best I guess - that is what I did and after about 2 weeks I saw the charge come through on my card, then got the shipping alert the next day. It's too bad about the customer support, but it is just a husband wife team doing it as a side business by the looks of it and they seem to be the only ones that have a product that will do this.
Old 03-05-06, 10:19 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rklages

I had no issues with them, but they are impossible to get a hold of, you just have to place the order and hope for the best I guess - that is what I did and after about 2 weeks I saw the charge come through on my card, then got the shipping alert the next day. It's too bad about the customer support, but it is just a husband wife team doing it as a side business by the looks of it and they seem to be the only ones that have a product that will do this.
rklages

Which version did you order from Coastaltech? I imagine the one for the latest Prius? I'm sure if I ever got through to them, they would say the adapter they sell will not work on any GX. I'd like to get the one that includes the Bluetooth feature. Thanks.
Old 03-06-06, 03:22 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I bought the Prius 04-06 model, the buletooth model should work, but I don't know anyone that has received one and tested it yet.

ROb
Old 03-06-06, 06:00 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Rob,
Thank you for risking your 06 for the rest of us to learn it does work. Compared to manually pressing the "I agree" button, is there a delay before the normal Nav screen appears?
Lou
06 GX470
Old 03-06-06, 07:51 AM
rklages
Pole Position

There is a delay, when you start the car, the LEXUS logo comes up, then the i agree, then after 2-4 seconds you see the i agree highlight like you pushed it and it is done. Sort of the same when you push the dest button the first time when moving, you see it go through the menu doing the override sequence and then is ready to enter a destination (only does it the first time you push dest on a trip, then it is overridden until you shut off the car.

Rob
Old 03-06-06, 01:40 PM
TurboJones
Driver School Candidate

Just FYI, I ordered a Nav kit from Coastal Tech last week and it just shipped to me via UPS. Even though many complain about lack of communication, which was true for me from prior un-answered emails, I risked it and ordered anyway. Looks like they process the orders fairly quickly when they have stock.

Best,
TurboJones
Old 03-06-06, 04:13 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I am a bit puzzled as to the difference between a "standard" coastal unit and (more)

the bluetooth one. I understand what the std one does, but what "nanny device" is the BT version supposed to remedy?
Kinda sad that we even need such products, but I digress.
Old 03-06-06, 05:11 PM
TurboJones
Driver School Candidate

The bluetooth version does the same kind of override as the destination fix. It enables the bluetooth dialing/phonebook selection while in motion. Not necessary unless you plan to have the car dial your phone for you. I didn't need that option as I use a headset with voice dialing.
Old 03-06-06, 05:21 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Thanks- Did yours come w/ BT as well? I checked Coastal's

Originally Posted by TurboJones
The bluetooth version does the same kind of override as the destination fix. It enables the bluetooth dialing/phonebook selection while in motion. Not necessary unless you plan to have the car dial your phone for you. I didn't need that option as I use a headset with voice dialing.
web site and it appears as though BT will be included at some point. Not sure when, but that is how it looked.

Thanks

Jim
Old 03-06-06, 09:37 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
web site and it appears as though BT will be included at some point. Not sure when, but that is how it looked.

Thanks

Jim
I call Coastaltech at least 3 times a day but they never pick up the phone. I also haved emailed them a couple times, but again never received a response. I'd like to find out when they will have the BT version available. Can't order it on their website because it isn't listed anywhere.
Old 03-08-06, 11:06 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Since we've (apparently) determined that the device simulates keystrokes at the appropriate time (I Accept, and the Destination Override sequence), this would IMPLY there is a secret key sequence to override the BT issue.

Does ANYONE know what that key sequence/easter egg/hack is???
Old 06-06-06, 10:01 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

i would not place any orders from them on their website. it is not encrypted and you will be sending your credit card number as clear text to them; call instead!

does this work with the 06 rx 330?????