GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk/thump problem with the drive shaft or transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 10:50 AM
HoleinOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the hight control functions only works when the vehicle is at a stop and shortly after it starts to move. I think it is meant to make the trailer hookup easier only. I don't really see the need for the majority of the drivers if it causes the clunk.

By the way, I changed the suspension stiffness setting to the stiffest level and the frequency of the clunk was reduced dramatically, if not eliminated completely. I played around with the settings and the clunk occurs the most when the stiffness is set the "recommended" level, which is the second setting clock-wise. Maybe someone else can give it try to see if it has the same result.
Old 06-29-05, 04:10 PM
98Nav400
Driver

I purchased my GX for the Clunk!!!!

I think its a great safety feature, when mine occassionally clunks I always look in the rear view mirror to see who rear ended me; only after not seeing a car wedged against my bumper do I remember how important it is to always check my mirrors to be aware of what's around me---THUS making me a much more defensive and safe driver for me and my family.
Old 06-30-05, 07:50 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFL - You owe me a new keyboard!!! I happened to be drinking at the time when I read this...

Um, before ANYONE states the obvious yes I AM typing on a NEW keyboard, without the spill!!!
Old 07-01-05, 09:37 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HoleinOne
I don't really see the need for the majority of the drivers if it causes the clunk.

well you are correct. but tell that to the car who adjusts itself automatically. hmm, i'll try the stiff mode to see if it disappears a little or something.
Old 07-06-05, 09:41 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

A friend of ours bought a new 2005 GX470 last week. I test drove it this past weekend and I noticed the 'thump' at stop lights. It was very mild but noticeable. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to offend him. I have read so much about the 'thump' in the GX and have been wanting to experience it and now I have. Does the thump get worse over time?

Last edited by BrickHead; 07-13-05 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-12-05, 06:32 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default TSB on this

Guys there is and has been for a while a TSB on this issue...it has been out since April 13 of 2004.

It is effective for all 2003-2004 production VIN#'s prior to JTJBT##X#40032069.

If your VIN # is lower than this you can and should have this fixed by your dealer. It is TSIB#DL001-04. They will ONLY fix it if you make the initial complaint about it...mine is getting done Thurs. Keep you posted.
Old 07-12-05, 07:00 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Johnny,

I just have a quick question regarding the TSB issue. Yes, I understand that the TSB is suppose to fix this issue on the older models 04' and 03', but what about the 05' models?

If the TSB# already exists April 2004, why are the newer 05' models still showing up with this issue? I'm asking because there are quire a few people on this board and on the other board who claim to have this problem with their new 05' model. Shouldn't the TSB resolution been already applied to the new models?

If this should happen to an 05' owner, can we claim this TSB# as an "authorized" fix from Lexus? Also, the "fix" in question seems to be only temporary, in other words, after a few miles/months the problem re-appears and others have claimed to have gone back to their dealers multiple times...

Please do not think this is a RANT aimed at you, it's not. It's aimed specifically at Lexus and it's just frustrating to hear about this at ALL PERIOD.

Even though the problem is not showing up on my 05' GX yet, I dread each day that I'll get the horrofic "thump" when I stop at a red traffic signal.

We all bought our Lexus believing that our cars would be the creme de la creme without any major issues, to have this ONE instance glaring back in your face after spending $50K on a car is a little out of line?
Old 07-12-05, 08:31 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default 05 with clunk/thump

wolf...I hear ya! Believe me I'm not entirely thrilled with my GX and some of the things Lexus is proposing for product offerings in the future - I think they are really missing an important demographic and not "hearing" what it is we expect from them.

I was unaware that this still existed for 05 owners as well, and I wholeheartedly agree that the dismissive treatment by some dealerships is UN-Lexus like. Unfortunately, I think what we see there is a low line store manager brought into the ranks of Lexus - but keeping his low-line customer service and sales mentatlity. With all of the dealerships in my wife's family I see and hear quite a bit of it, it can be frustrating.

I don't know if the fix will work - I just know that it's at the point where things like this are starting to bother me...but then again alot of things have been doing that to me lately...not to get off the subject but just the other day (as an example) I was so close to just going off - I mean completely uninhibited verbal bashing of some complete stranger...why? you ask because as I am pumping gas and minding my own business I see some stupid, oblivious Paris Hilton wannabe biotch pull into the station driving her 6000lb suburban, talking on her cell phone with her little mutt of a dog sitting on her lap...gimme an f-ing break - and this is the a-hole I have to watch out for while I'm trying to have an enjoyable SAFE ride on my motorcycle...I don't know just really ticked me off and I was really close to saying something, but being a chick she probably would've freaked out - even though I was 100% right to say something.

Anyway, I digress...if the fix works great if not the GX goes back in a few months anyway and I'll have my new IS awd and hopefully things will be better. Don't get me wrong - the GX is stilla great truck, but I am more than a bit soured by it's shortcomings, and the fact that Lexus knew them when they designed it and went with it anyway.
Old 07-13-05, 07:24 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

Default Thump still there in '05

I have an 05 GX (higher VIN than listed above), and still have the thump. I have ~5k miles on the car, and get the thump every once in a while, usually after I take an exit off the highway. However, I find the thump very light and almost un-obtrusive.

I think Lexus has no permanent solution for the thump, and can only reduce it with the TSB. Since they have already "applied the TSB" to newer GX's, they feel that they cannot do anything more to reduce it and thus the dealers who follow the Lexus guidelines may refuse to do anything further.

When I had bought my GX, I got a full assurance from my dealer that they would do everything necessary to please me regarding the thump. However, since I do not find the thump to be a problem, I do not plan to take the car for this service. In fact, I am scared that the lubing of the drive-shaft could actually make it worse when they open up the components.
Old 07-13-05, 08:49 AM
HoleinOne
Rookie

The so-called "fix" was applied to our '04GX at around 5000 miles. The thump went away for a little while then reappeared and got progressively worse. The answer that I get from several dealers is that "it is the normal operational characteristics of the vehicle"; therefore, they will not do anything to address this.

I finally got a reply back from Toyota after several attempts to contact them in seeking relief under the lemon law. It is only an acknowledgement of the receipt on my complaint and a promise to follow up with me shortly. Let's wait and see what they are willing to do - or not.
Old 07-13-05, 06:59 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Just so that we're on the same page here... Hypothetically speaking (since this hasn't appeared yet on my 05' GX), IF I had a cup a coffee in my hand and the "thump" occurs, is it strong enough to SPILL the coffee?

I'm asking because ALL of the answer's I'm getting are that it sounds and feels like getting "tapped/hit/rear ended".... I've been rear ended a few times in my other cars, and I've been tapped in the rear as well... I think I felt the THUMP once, wasn't sure it was VERY VERY sublte. My wife and OTHER passengers in the car didn't say a thing, but in my mind I did because I've been looking out for it. Honestly, if I hadn't read about it here, it wouldn't have bothered me.

Johnny, can you speak to your wife at the Manhattan Lexus dealer and find out the REAL scoop on the TSB? I mean, is this s design "flaw", is there a "permanent" fix, or does the GX owner have to make multiple visits. I'm just dreading the day, I have to walk into my dealer and telling them I'm hearing the thump and my dealer responds, "Oh, it's by design... "

Thanks for understanding...
Old 07-14-05, 04:49 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Thump

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Just so that we're on the same page here... Hypothetically speaking (since this hasn't appeared yet on my 05' GX), IF I had a cup a coffee in my hand and the "thump" occurs, is it strong enough to SPILL the coffee?

I'm asking because ALL of the answer's I'm getting are that it sounds and feels like getting "tapped/hit/rear ended".... I've been rear ended a few times in my other cars, and I've been tapped in the rear as well... I think I felt the THUMP once, wasn't sure it was VERY VERY sublte. My wife and OTHER passengers in the car didn't say a thing, but in my mind I did because I've been looking out for it. Honestly, if I hadn't read about it here, it wouldn't have bothered me.

Johnny, can you speak to your wife at the Manhattan Lexus dealer and find out the REAL scoop on the TSB? I mean, is this s design "flaw", is there a "permanent" fix, or does the GX owner have to make multiple visits. I'm just dreading the day, I have to walk into my dealer and telling them I'm hearing the thump and my dealer responds, "Oh, it's by design... "

Thanks for understanding...
Point 1- No it would not be strong enough to spill the coffee..I would equate it to sitting in your car in a parking lot, and in the absolute worst occurence of the thump feeling like someone tried squeezing into a spot and tapped your bumper - this has been my experience. Another way to describe it would be that you didn't have the vehicle in gear properly and it was "engaging" and you feel the driveshaft turn and "hook up"

Point 2 - As far as the real scoop goes- it is an issue for some (just like the vibration), they thought this would fix it/lessen the effect...apparently it hasn't.

My thoughts "off the record", Toyota (I have been told by others who've had serious vehicle problems) would rather not admit a problem and lose a customer, than have a problem surface and cause a hit to their quality rating. I had a friend who had a really bad experience with a Camry that told me this.
Old 07-14-05, 08:08 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the update on the thump! IF this is all it is then I don't really mind it, in my mind, I thought it was bad enough that the coffee would spill and that's why it was perplexing me that LEXUS would not address this issue. That said, on a $50k vehicle it shouldn't exist, but I can certainly live with this issue.
Old 07-14-05, 09:18 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the update on the thump! IF this is all it is then I don't really mind it, in my mind, I thought it was bad enough that the coffee would spill and that's why it was perplexing me that LEXUS would not address this issue. That said, on a $50k vehicle it shouldn't exist, but I can certainly live with this issue.
Minor problem. as long as the car won't break down, that's all that matters.
Old 07-14-05, 02:57 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Almost all SUVs have the thump

Almost all SUVs with 4x4 drive train have the thump. I seriously dont think the TSB fix is doing anything to fix this. Think about it. If the fix is being done for 03 and 04 models with the new spline in the driveshaft ,then why would the 05s have the same problem? Go to the BMW X5 board and BMW545 sedans and the members there are also complaining of driveline thump problems similar to ours. Im not saying that this is acceptable but it is very common.

The new supposedly fix for the driveshaft has really not helped for alot of the clublexus members.

I get the thump once in 75 stops mainly after going off of highway speeeds and sitting at a light. It doesnt really bother me that much if I had it every time I stopped I would sell the GX.

Quick Reply: Clunk/thump problem with the drive shaft or transmission