GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470s with KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 01:04 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GX 470s with KDSS

Does anyone know what percentage of GXs are sold with KDSS?? I consider this a VERY IMPORTANT option as it transforms the vehicle into a perfectly COMFORTABLE, yet "excellent-handling" vehicle (kind of like having your cake and eating it too), besides making the suspension very "flexible" off road.

I'm considering buying a used GX, probably toward the end of this year or early next year and was wondering if there would be a good selection with the KDSS option!!
Old 08-25-05, 11:05 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool All good things in moderation ... I guess

Originally Posted by vicpai
Does anyone know what percentage of GXs are sold with KDSS?? I consider this a VERY IMPORTANT option as it transforms the vehicle into a perfectly COMFORTABLE, yet "excellent-handling" vehicle (kind of like having your cake and eating it too), besides making the suspension very "flexible" off road.

I'm considering buying a used GX, probably toward the end of this year or early next year and was wondering if there would be a good selection with the KDSS option!!
When I was looking for the KDSS in the 2004 GX units, it was very hard to find. I was told that only about 1 in 100 trucks brought in at that time had the option. I did manage to find one, and actually got the colour and interior I wanted too.

Downside was, with that few optioned units, the price negotiation was rather limited if you desired KDSS. But, it is very well worth the expense.

I think that there are more 2005 units with the KDSS option, but you have to get it with the "Sport" version. That version has the darker wood interior. Best of luck in your hunt.
Old 08-25-05, 11:13 AM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

I purchased an 05 GX and started off looking for a GX with KDSS (Sports Pkg). You will have a difficult time in terms of color/options/price you want without going to another dealer. In the end, I felt that I was not going to be driving the car like a Porsche 911 or going into the back country so I went with a non-KDSS model. For some reason, a bit of body lean reminds me that I am driving an SUV with a high center of gravity and I am not sure if the GX is like the X5 in terms of taking curves. If you cannot live without KDSS, I would order the car and make it an 06. . .
Old 08-25-05, 12:52 PM
flyfishman
Driver

The thing weighs 4,900 lbs - KDSS is not going to sew silk from a sows ear.
Old 08-25-05, 04:29 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

About the time my truck was purchased (Feb 2004), the going rate for KDSS optioned trucks was 10%. With the setting at full SPORT, the truck really handles on twisty roads despite its high center of gravity. The sway bars are much larger in diameter than on a standard GX.
Old 08-26-05, 10:11 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb All things considered ... It is better with than without

Originally Posted by flyfishman
The thing weighs 4,900 lbs - KDSS is not going to sew silk from a sows ear.
Odd statement you make. We are not talking about high performance manuevering. We are talking about a truck. I am going to hazard an assumption that you have not driven one with KDSS. If you had, you would know the difference between them. In the world of trucks, it IS silk.
Old 08-26-05, 11:19 AM
flyfishman
Driver

No, I just own the non-KDSS - did not see very much difference on the test drive, but admittedly did not try both off-road. If it is truly silk, then why is it not standard equipment on the GX or even an option on the flagship LX.
Old 08-26-05, 12:38 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
No, I just own the non-KDSS - did not see very much difference on the test drive, but admittedly did not try both off-road. If it is truly silk, then why is it not standard equipment on the GX or even an option on the flagship LX.
To me, In a small way, it's sort of like comparing any other reel against my Seamaster Mark IV direct drive, when a tarpon takes off on a 150 yard run. Other reels will do the job but not with the same flare.
Old 08-28-05, 02:48 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up Thanks guys.....

.....for all the responses!!....BTW, I have test driven both, and at least in terms of handling, it does make a significant difference between the two....like others have said above, I'm not looking for "Porsche 911 handling", but just a "confident", "controlled" and "balanced" feel. The regular GX without the KDSS seemed to lean and wallow quite a bit while taking corners (compared to the Acura MDX Iowned earlier)