GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does The GX Tilt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 08:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have KDSS / Sports Package on my 05 GX470, however I did notice this tilt when I first bought this vehicle as I was driving behind it (my wife was driving the GX) and it seemed to lean to one side more than the other.

I kept tellng myself it's got to be something to do with the road surface it it was on, not even, etc....From that day on, I never really noticed this problem again and I hope it resolved / fixed itself which is unlikely.
Old 01-19-09, 11:35 AM
fas2000
Driver School Candidate

hi guys,

i know this is an old post but i would like your guys input.

i just picked up my 05 gx not to long ago.

my car leans the most towards the front drivers side, and is highest at the rear passenger side. the difference, if i am not mistaken, is like 2.5 to 3 inches !!!!!

but not only that, the tread on the front left tire is waaay less. the tread on teh tires seem to be slightly better more and more towards the rear drivers.

finally i notice a definate vibration in the steering wheel at various non-descript scenerios, like speeds above 60, sometimes when accelerating around 30+.

does this leaning have something to do with tire tread? my tpms is on also, all 4 tires are at 32psi. i have not checked the spare yet.

any opinions?

thanks
slightly droopy

Last edited by fas2000; 01-19-09 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 09:14 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the height sensor for each rear wheel is independently adjustable. There was a pdf floating around here a while back with the instructions.
Old 01-20-09, 04:15 AM
fas2000
Driver School Candidate

o ok, that should be helpful. i will search and see what i can find. thanks for the heads up.

fas
Old 01-20-09, 06:17 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok
I have noticed my 06 w/ KDSS tilts to the right and is lower than the left by about 1/2 inch.....
Old 01-20-09, 06:51 PM
fas2000
Driver School Candidate

grdnrxr,

do you notice if the tire that you are tilted towards has more tread wear? since i bought mine used i noticed this when i purchased it. Extra tread wear on a tire, cant be a good thing for the dynamics of the car. just curious if you also experience it.
Old 02-21-10, 05:01 PM
barto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXusa

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the truck seems to tilt lower on the drivers' side than on the passenger side. I took the truck back to the dealer after 5 days and the technician's computer scan indeed indicated that there was a 12mm (1/2 inch) difference in height between the the left (driver's side) and the right rear wheels. The dealer "fixed" the problem, but to my naked eye (and my wife's) the truck continues to tilt down on the left (driver's) side. It's driving me crazy.

Has anyone else perceived a similar tilt? We only have 1,500 miles on the truck, but I'd like to be prepared for the 5K review to have the dealer look again at the tilt. If anyone else has had a similar perception, can you please let me know what can/should be done about it? Thanks.

Same problem. I have a 2006 GX470 that I purchased about a month ago. 60k miles. I noticed it was lower on the driver's side. Measuring it showed it to be 3/4 of an inch difference. A check of the vehicle's history showed this problem was reported by the previous owner at 30k. Their Lexus dealer noted ride height adjustment as the solution.

Last week I took it to my Lexus dealer and had them check it along with my 60k service. They adjusted the ride height sensors on the back "as far as they would go" and now its only 1/2 inch off. This didn't sound right to me so I asked to speak to the mechanic that did the repair. When I asked if the sway bars (KDSS) could effect it, he could not give me a strait answer other than to insist that it was within spec. When I got he vehicle home I crawled under it to check things out for myself. Sure enough the ride height adjustment was at its limit on one side. To determine if the kdds was at fault I unbolted the front sway bar from one side. As soon as the second bolt came out the bar popped down and the car tilted back to normal. With the sway bar still disconnected, I re-adjuted the ride height sensors to get the vehicle level. Its within 1/8 inch. Important note, I cycled the ride height switch up and down to make sure the air ride was normalized before determining the final adjustment for the ride height sensors.

Now, after correcting the mis-adjustments made by the dealer and verifying the vehicle was sitting level, I reconnected the front sway bar. I had to use a jack to get it back into place. This of course re-introduced the 3/4 inch lean. Lower on the driver's side. But at this point the cause is clearly the KDSS.

I'll be bringing this to the dealer's attention in the morning and will post the results when I know something.
Old 03-02-10, 10:12 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GX Tilt

Any update? I have a 2006 GX with KDSS. I occasionally notice the vehicle tilt towards the DS. This happens occasionally...not all the times. Is there anything that I can do or do I need to take it to the dealer (have Platinum ESP).

Thanks.
Old 03-11-10, 04:04 PM
barto
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 Leans to one side - Follow up

Just following up to my previous post. My 2006 GX470 did not sit level. It was 3/4 lower on the passenger side. The dealer insisted it was "within spec". See my previous post. It took some digging but I was able to get to the bottom of this. In my case the KDSS was not properly adjusted causing it to apply force to the sway bars when it should not. I went back and forth with the dealer and got nowhere. They would not look beyond "its within spec". I finally found the technical documentation at techinfo.toyota.com. I had to pay $15 for access but was able to get enough information to resolve the problem. Without getting too technical, KDSS is a hydraulic system that has two opposing fluid pressure systems. The pressure has to be equal in both. Mine was not, causing the vehicle to lean. You can find a complete description of the system in document RM000002KG9000X at techino.toyota.com. You can find the vehicle not level symptoms described in document RM000001N91003X on techinfo.toyota.com. Further, you can find the adjustment procedure in document RM000002KJY000X. I should point out that to properly adjust the suspension fluid pressures requires a special tool. I did mine by the seat of my pants, but don't recommend it. Probably best to see your Lexus dealer and give them the document numbers I've included. If you don't mind my rant, I have to say that the Lexus dealer really disappointed me on this. Its more than the vehicle not sitting level. The fact that the KDSS was applying enough force to the anti-sway bar to cause 3/4 inch of body roll means that when I turned to the right the vehicle cornered like it was on rails because of the "pre-tension". However when I cornered to the left, the "pre-tension had to be unwound before any anti-roll force was achieved. So left turns resulted in extreme body roll. It felt like I had low tires on that side. But it was "within spec". I hope this is helpful. Barto
Attached Thumbnails Does The GX Tilt?-kdss1.jpg   Does The GX Tilt?-kdss2.jpg   Does The GX Tilt?-kdss3.jpg  
Old 03-12-10, 09:03 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

To the GX tilt club, here is what you can do, I need you'll to go under the Front and Rear of the stabs which fit into the KDSS, now will see a bushing holding the stabilizer brackets, they have four bolts on either side, What you need to check the 2 stabilizer bushes, check out the alignment with them, they have a protusion on the bushes and that should match the notch marks on the stab bar. If the bushes are not in sync with the notch marks you will have left or right bank which you'll term as tilt. This marks should be facing down and not top. Even the slightest difference makes variance angle to that bar to collaspe. Now secondly if the notch markes are aligned to the bushes protusion correctly, then the suspension fluid should be completely bleeded and then refilled. This can be done by the dealer as the SST tool is required to have it maintained at a certain pressure to stabilize the vehicle. Once finished the car should not be started for at least 20 minutes after the refill, as the suspension does gets charged. And the vehicle will automatically get stabilized. Now start the car, Push the Height control First to low, the compressor will kick in the alter the settings and the pressure gets normal. Thats it, Now go for a test ride, The height control will change to Normal mode, now drive on an empty road and sway the car ( by turning the steering Left and Right Banking)
Thats it, you are good to go.