GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does The GX Tilt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 08:31 PM
GXusa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does The GX Tilt?

Last month we finally purchased an '05 w/ Sport Package. We love it. The dealer informed us that we were the owners of the first Silver Pine w/ a Dark Gray leather SP in the Northeast.

Anyway, I've been monitoring this informational forum for months and only now that we are owners am I inclined to post.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the truck seems to tilt lower on the drivers' side than on the passenger side. I took the truck back to the dealer after 5 days and the technician's computer scan indeed indicated that there was a 12mm (1/2 inch) difference in height between the the left (driver's side) and the right rear wheels. The dealer "fixed" the problem, but to my naked eye (and my wife's) the truck continues to tilt down on the left (driver's) side. It's driving me crazy.

Has anyone else perceived a similar tilt? We only have 1,500 miles on the truck, but I'd like to be prepared for the 5K review to have the dealer look again at the tilt. If anyone else has had a similar perception, can you please let me know what can/should be done about it? Thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 05:42 AM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXusa
Last month we finally purchased an '05 w/ Sport Package. We love it. The dealer informed us that we were the owners of the first Silver Pine w/ a Dark Gray leather SP in the Northeast.

Anyway, I've been monitoring this informational forum for months and only now that we are owners am I inclined to post.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the truck seems to tilt lower on the drivers' side than on the passenger side. I took the truck back to the dealer after 5 days and the technician's computer scan indeed indicated that there was a 12mm (1/2 inch) difference in height between the the left (driver's side) and the right rear wheels. The dealer "fixed" the problem, but to my naked eye (and my wife's) the truck continues to tilt down on the left (driver's) side. It's driving me crazy.

Has anyone else perceived a similar tilt? We only have 1,500 miles on the truck, but I'd like to be prepared for the 5K review to have the dealer look again at the tilt. If anyone else has had a similar perception, can you please let me know what can/should be done about it? Thanks.
I seem to recall some owners writing about a tilt with the KDSS cars (more 04 owners) and I do not think there was a solution. I believe some owners had sensors on the KDSS replaced, but you may have to do a search. Good luck! I have an 05 Silver Pine/Gray without the KDSS with about 1400 miles. . .
Old 08-29-05, 12:37 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just measured out my truck for the third time in eighteen months. From the back of the rear wheel well to the floor, the measurement is exactly the same. Well, could be a sixteenth off depending on how close to true vertical the tape was, but I checked it twice on each side from slightly different spots
Old 08-29-05, 01:45 PM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine tilts as well

My '05 SP tilts to the driver's side as well. Initially, there was a 3/4" difference, measured from floor to top of wheel well (make sure that the floor is level when measuring, and that all tires are properly inflated). You could also measure from wheel center to fender lip, removing differences in tire air pressure as a cause. For diagnosis, have your dealer look up the symptom: GX470 leans excessively when cornering. There is a note under this problem that states that the truck may sag or lean when parked as well.

The repair involves looking at a number of items, including bleeding the KDSS hydraulic system, as well as possibly replacing a control cylinder. I think that the issue may arise if there is air in the system, or if it is low on hydraulic fluid. If either of these conditions exist, the hydraulic cylinders holding both the front and rear sway bars will compress, causing the truck to lean or sag to the left.

Hope this is of some help to you. Partial repair has reduced the difference from 3/4" to 1/2". My repair is not yet complete, because my dealer could not locate the tool to bleed the system. (Apparently they only received one from Japan).

Pat
Old 08-29-05, 02:26 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by crubrexus
My '05 SP tilts to the driver's side as well. Initially, there was a 3/4" difference, measured from floor to top of wheel well (make sure that the floor is level when measuring, and that all tires are properly inflated). You could also measure from wheel center to fender lip, removing differences in tire air pressure as a cause. For diagnosis, have your dealer look up the symptom: GX470 leans excessively when cornering. There is a note under this problem that states that the truck may sag or lean when parked as well.

The repair involves looking at a number of items, including bleeding the KDSS hydraulic system, as well as possibly replacing a control cylinder. I think that the issue may arise if there is air in the system, or if it is low on hydraulic fluid. If either of these conditions exist, the hydraulic cylinders holding both the front and rear sway bars will compress, causing the truck to lean or sag to the left.

Hope this is of some help to you. Partial repair has reduced the difference from 3/4" to 1/2". My repair is not yet complete, because my dealer could not locate the tool to bleed the system. (Apparently they only received one from Japan).

Pat
"crubrexus", that's a good one
Old 08-29-05, 02:53 PM
GXusa
Driver School Candidate

GS400jon,

What prompted you to take the measurements 3X in 18 months? Did you also perceive a tilt? If so, how was it remedied?

Crubrexus,

It's comforting - I guess - that ours is not the only GX w/ SP that has a tilt, but I hope our dealer can be convinced that it indeed needs to be fixed. When I first brought the truck back after five days of owning it, although the tilt was plainly obvious to me by just looking at the truck, it wasn't until the service tech checked the rear height sensors and found the 12 mm. discrepancy that they ventured to try to fix it. They were at first actually trying to convince me that the perceived tilt was an optical illusion. Thanks for your insight...
Old 08-29-05, 03:12 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXusa
GS400jon,

What prompted you to take the measurements 3X in 18 months? Did you also perceive a tilt? If so, how was it remedied?

Crubrexus,

It's comforting - I guess - that ours is not the only GX w/ SP that has a tilt, but I hope our dealer can be convinced that it indeed needs to be fixed. When I first brought the truck back after five days of owning it, although the tilt was plainly obvious to me by just looking at the truck, it wasn't until the service tech checked the rear height sensors and found the 12 mm. discrepancy that they ventured to try to fix it. They were at first actually trying to convince me that the perceived tilt was an optical illusion. Thanks for your insight...
The "tilt" question has come up before on this forum, back in 2004 some time. So, I measured for tilt then. The question returned some time later, again on this forum, and I measured again. Then, your post caused me to check it out one more time.
Old 08-29-05, 03:42 PM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I just measured out my truck for the third time in eighteen months. From the back of the rear wheel well to the floor, the measurement is exactly the same. Well, could be a sixteenth off depending on how close to true vertical the tape was, but I checked it twice on each side from slightly different spots
Hey Jon, would you be willing to do one more measurement? Please measure from floor to bottom of mudflap (at rear). My truck seems to measure worst at the mudflaps, which is where the difference is visibly most obvious when viewed from rear (nearly one inch difference on about a nine inch space). This seems to indicate that the mudflaps on my truck are a little different in length(???)!

Thanks!
Pat
Old 08-29-05, 04:16 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by crubrexus
Hey Jon, would you be willing to do one more measurement? Please measure from floor to bottom of mudflap (at rear). My truck seems to measure worst at the mudflaps, which is where the difference is visibly most obvious when viewed from rear (nearly one inch difference on about a nine inch space). This seems to indicate that the mudflaps on my truck are a little different in length(???)!

Thanks!
Pat
OK. On the driver's side, from bottom of the mudflap to the floor is 10 inches. The passenger side is 10 1/8 inches. The mudflaps themselves measure out to be equal length on both sides.
Old 08-29-05, 04:16 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=leaning

i still kinda laugh at the idea that the dealer told the person in this thread that it's just an "optical illusion".
Old 08-30-05, 06:44 PM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jon, for the measurement.

Originally Posted by Rx900
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=leaning

i still kinda laugh at the idea that the dealer told the person in this thread that it's just an "optical illusion".
The way around this reasoning is to simply park the sagging GX next to a normal one and view the two side-by-side from the rear. It's really obvious this way, and I discovered the tilt this way when I happened to park next to another GX at the market.

Pat
Old 09-02-05, 09:41 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my 4runner, the gas tank was on the driver's side. When i installed my lift i noticed that there was a left side and right side to the springs (left being higher) to balance the car with a full tank of gas. i know the GX has a higher full capacity and the tank is on the driver's side. try measuring it with a full tank and when it's low on fuel.

dan
Old 09-04-05, 09:05 AM
NOMini4ME
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=GXusa]I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the truck seems to tilt lower on the drivers' side than on the passenger side.

I don't think it's your imagination... mine tilts as well. The first few times I thought I was just seeing things. But I remember reading that the human eye can detect very small measurement discrepancies.

Oh well, I have bigger fish to fry for now. Still trying to figure out how this car works. Going to read all the manuals again.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that it's not my imagination.

'05 Silver, loaded (all but SP)- new name as of yesterday... "RoboCar"
(I tried to say "home" to the voice system... I got Post Office, Seek Up, and a few other oddities. Must be my voice inflection)
Old 09-28-05, 06:12 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Default tilt

it tilts...that's all there is to it
Old 09-29-05, 06:22 AM
flyfishman
Driver

This is interesting because I have noticed the tilt it on Land Cruisers and LX 470s many times, too. Need to measure my GX and see.

Quick Reply: Does The GX Tilt?