GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Are KDSS and X-REAS the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 09:25 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are KDSS and X-REAS the same?

I know that KDSS comes from the Kinetic Suspension company, which is owned by Teenneco Automotive. I'm assuming that the X-REAS suspension on the 4Runner is the same or similar to the KDSS (the Kinteic RFS system), but does anybody know the exact difference. What are the pro's and con's of each system?

http://www.tenneco-automotive.com/frames/kinetic.html
Here is a link to the Kinetic web page? KDSS is the RFS system, what is the X-REAS system (RFS, X, or X2)?
Old 10-20-05, 02:19 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of diffences. The first is KDSS can disconect the sway bars to improve wheel articulation. This increase the off-road capibility. X-Reas is a crossed link system so a front wheel works in conjuction with the rear wheel on the other side. KDSS works independently on each wheel which also helps. If you plan on lifting a 4Runner, most people to not recomend the X-Reas. I guess the same would be true for the GX.

Onroad, KDSS seamed to work better to reduce body roll than the X-reas.

I hope that helped.

TexGX
Old 10-20-05, 10:02 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by TexGX
There are a couple of diffences. The first is KDSS can disconect the sway bars to improve wheel articulation. This increase the off-road capibility. X-Reas is a crossed link system so a front wheel works in conjuction with the rear wheel on the other side. KDSS works independently on each wheel which also helps. If you plan on lifting a 4Runner, most people to not recomend the X-Reas. I guess the same would be true for the GX.

Onroad, KDSS seamed to work better to reduce body roll than the X-reas.

I hope that helped.

TexGX
Thanks, that does help. The KDSS is a great system, I just wondered how it compared to the X-REAS.
Old 10-22-05, 11:15 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Hello,

From my understanding, the X REAS is a more sopisticated system than the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) on our Lexus. The X REAS is hydraulic and shocks (dampers) are link diagonally with a piston in between them. The piston moves hydraulic pressure to the front shocks or to the sides to counter act load transfers resulting to pitch during braking, cornering etc.

The KDSS however is designed with more off road in mind. The swaybars are massive to resist roll during on road driving and completely disconnects for full suspension articulation for off road driving. When combined with the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) I think it is far superior than the X REAS system both on and off the road.

Regards,
Charleston