GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Changed my GX order---- What do you all think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 06:13 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my GX order---- What do you all think?

As some here may know, i recently ordered from Lexus of Watertown (just outside of Boston) an '06 loaded with pretty much everything in Savannah metallic. Its a hard to find model as I will only buy a GX with KDSS. Of course, KDSS is only available as a "Stand alone" option in these colors. The dealer had located one in Savannah "on the boat", but today I changed the order to "Blizzard white" w/ an ivory interior.
Why? I was in NYC today with time to kill and got to see the color in many different kinds of lighting. In certain light and at certain angles, I really liked it, but upon moving around I came to the unsettling realization that its just too tan, too gold and not really the champagne/pewter I had first pictured it to be. I just couldn't see getting a color that I didn't like in all lighting conditions, as I do NOT want a love-hate relationship with a new vehicle. Not a good way to start off, is it?
Any thoughts/opinions here? I wonder if this will really delay things. Havn't heard anything from the dealer yet. although some say white is very, very popular. This, of course, could go both ways. All I can say is.... Arrrghhhh... wish I had listened to the doubts awhile back. At least I didn't wait till the Savannah one was in before changing my mind........

Last edited by JWS3; 11-29-05 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 06:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the ash blue color, in the shade it looks like grey. In the sun, it looks a bit blue. I think its kind of cool. I have never been a big fan of tan or gold color cars. I like white better but requires alot of cleaning but not as bad as black.
Old 11-29-05, 06:55 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default White is actually pretty easy to care for anf infinitely easier than black (m)

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have the ash blue color, in the shade it looks like grey. In the sun, it looks a bit blue. I think its kind of cool. I have never been a big fan of tan or gold color cars. I like white better but requires alot of cleaning but not as bad as black.
I've had both and white is pretty easy. Black, which I have now, is horrific to care for. A 3 minute drive and it looks like crap. I am DONE with black.
I too dislike tan/gold, which is why I was surprised I'd taken an initial liking to Savannah. I now realize I'd seen it in just the right light, which didn't hold up under more detailed scrutiny. Good thing I found out now......
Old 11-29-05, 07:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It is too bad the GX470 doesn't come in a Ferrari red or racing yellow.
Old 11-29-05, 07:57 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JW,

Wow!!! That is EXACTLY what happened to me!!!! I too originally ordered the GOLD model, Dorado Gold, but when I went to pick it up, they didn't get the RES and wanted to slap in an AUDIOVOX instead...

I saw the color and decided it wasn't "right", refused delivery on the grounds of not coming with the RES as ordered and asked them for the Blizzard Pearl instead!!!

Couldn't be happier!!! Call me "cheesy" but I had my emblems/logos/badges changed from SILVER to GOLD and got the EXTENDED wood package too...

You'll love it.... Personally the BLACK/DARK wood trim doesn't do a thing for me...

Enjoy!
Old 11-29-05, 08:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The gold emblems looks good on the black and white GX.
Black wood trims.
Old 11-29-05, 08:15 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JWS3
As some here may know, i recently ordered from Lexus of Watertown (just outside of Boston) an '06 loaded with pretty much everything in Savannah metallic. Its a hard to find model as I will only buy a GX with KDSS. Of course, KDSS is only available as a "Stand alone" option in these colors. The dealer had located one in Savannah "on the boat", but today I changed the order to "Blizzard white" w/ an ivory interior.
Why? I was in NYC today with time to kill and got to see the color in many different kinds of lighting. In certain light and at certain angles, I really liked it, but upon moving around I came to the unsettling realization that its just too tan, too gold and not really the champagne/pewter I had first pictured it to be. I just couldn't see getting a color that I didn't like in all lighting conditions, as I do NOT want a love-hate relationship with a new vehicle. Not a good way to start off, is it?
Any thoughts/opinions here? I wonder if this will really delay things. Havn't heard anything from the dealer yet. although some say white is very, very popular. This, of course, could go both ways. All I can say is.... Arrrghhhh... wish I had listened to the doubts awhile back. At least I didn't wait till the Savannah one was in before changing my mind........

Hey Jim,
When I 1st saw the tan color, I was cool with it, but after seeing it over and over in different situations I got sick of the color, the white is the way to go for sure. When I spoke to Nicole at Watertown, she seemed to have all different colors of the KDSS coming in, so im sure she will have whatever color you want.

I am still testing out local dealers to see if I can get as good a deal as Nicole offered, still no luck though. My mothers good friend works at Prestige Lexus, I still need to see what she can do for me. When I tell her I want the car very close to invoice she will probably laugh at me, we will see.

-M
Old 11-30-05, 09:34 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Hey JWS3
I bought my 04 GX from Watertown. I have to say that I had a great experience with everybody except for the "financial lady"- ugh!!!

Gabriel Despres (manager) was absolutely fantastic and would highly recommend him as a part of your transaction. Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-30-05, 09:49 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You will love the Blizzard Pearl JWS3, it is a great color! I first ordered black with tan interior but the thought of keeping another black car clean for longer than 30 seconds did not appeal to me (my wife has a Sapphire Black X5, great color but a pain to keep clean) . I changed my order to Blizzard Pearl and have not regreted it, looks great in any light and in full sun with a coat of Zaino it is blinding! Post pics when you get it.
Old 11-30-05, 10:15 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in August 05, I purchased a 05 Blizzard Pearl with the Ivory interior. After living with the Ivory interior for over 2 months, I just could not get used to the Ivory interior. To light colored and more of a feminine color to me. So earlier this month I traded the 05 for an 06 in Blizzard Pearl with the Dark Gray interior. Now I'm a happy camper. Just make sure you like the Ivory interior before you take delivery. The Dark Gray interiors are pretty hard to find with the Blizzard Pearl exterior color. I have gotten more compliments about the Blizzard Pearl than any other color I've had on vehicles in the past 30 years. I don't think you will regret it.

Last year I took a trip down to the NY Auto Show and Lexus had a 2005 GX470 in Blizzard Pearl as one of their display vehicles. Now even though this vehicle was in its 3rd year with the same style, I couldn't believe how many people were swarming all over and in the GX. I overheard many, many people say that the Blizzard Pearl color looked fantastic on the GX.
Old 11-30-05, 10:56 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Thanks, Bob- But I am sure about the ivory (more)

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Back in August 05, I purchased a 05 Blizzard Pearl with the Ivory interior. After living with the Ivory interior for over 2 months, I just could not get used to the Ivory interior. To light colored and more of a feminine color to me. So earlier this month I traded the 05 for an 06 in Blizzard Pearl with the Dark Gray interior. Now I'm a happy camper. Just make sure you like the Ivory interior before you take delivery. The Dark Gray interiors are pretty hard to find with the Blizzard Pearl exterior color. I have gotten more compliments about the Blizzard Pearl than any other color I've had on vehicles in the past 30 years. I don't think you will regret it.

Last year I took a trip down to the NY Auto Show and Lexus had a 2005 GX470 in Blizzard Pearl as one of their display vehicles. Now even though this vehicle was in its 3rd year with the same style, I couldn't believe how many people were swarming all over and in the GX. I overheard many, many people say that the Blizzard Pearl color looked fantastic on the GX.
I've seen both and just don't care for dark interiors. To me, they are just too, well, dark! Oddly enough, the 2 white ones @ Watertown had grey on the inside! Now, all I have to do is see how long it'll take the saleswoman, Nikki, to find a KDSS equipped "loaded" version!
Old 11-30-05, 12:51 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
I've seen both and just don't care for dark interiors. To me, they are just too, well, dark! Oddly enough, the 2 white ones @ Watertown had grey on the inside! Now, all I have to do is see how long it'll take the saleswoman, Nikki, to find a KDSS equipped "loaded" version!
One of the ones on their lot was probably going to me, but my dealer offered me $2250.00 more for my 05 trade, so you know I purchased my 06 GX from my original dealer. Plus he is 100 miles each way closer to my house and he can do the NYS inspection. Buying out of state is a bit of a pain because you always have to get the vehicle inspected on your time, which to me is annoying.

I wonder how many states in the US requires a brand new vehicle purchased from an authorized dealer need to have a state inspection before it can be sold? I'll bet NY is one of maybe a handful of states. Ridiculous. Just a money making plot for sure in NY State.

Anyway, I hope Watertown gets your vehicle real soon.
Old 11-30-05, 06:19 PM
leasalexus
Driver School Candidate

JWS,
I decided to hop on the band wagon and get a "Handle" on this clublexus thing all you GX fans speak so highly of!! Can you guess who I am? Leasalexus? Any clue? Its your favorite Lexus saleswoman. No worries about the color I'll make it happen and we should know tomorrow. Tell the wife I said hi!
Nikki
Old 11-30-05, 06:25 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

You will love it. It is my color and I was going to say that I would recommend Blizard over Savannah but didn't want to spoil your fun.

Even if it takes longer, it is worth it .

However, Savannnah is still very nice.
Old 11-30-05, 07:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Default Nikki

Hi Nikki, say hi to Lee Miller for me would you? I just bought a GX from him 6 weeks ago and it was the best automotive purchase experience I ever had. Tell him thanks.

Quick Reply: Changed my GX order---- What do you all think?