GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Decided to go with xenondepot: Here is why:

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 04:48 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to go with xenondepot: Here is why:

Here is a "re-post" of one of mine in another thread- making it a thread of its own for clarity. Added a few points as well.

I spoke at length with Steve @ XD and he tells me why they use a relay. There are 2 main reasons.
1)To avoid overloading vehicle wiring harnesses. He says that while some vehicles will work just fine without a relay, they can't guess how every vehicle will react, hence using a relay as an extra margin of safety

2) Avoids stress on the ballasts. Steve tells me that some wiring harnesses are a bit thin and will allow too much voltage fluctuation at idle when under load, i.e. when there is a greater current draw. Tapping the power right from the battery gives a much more consistent power flow. Again. since these kits fit different vehicles they make sure it will not harm one that might have lighter gauge wires,etc.

3) Customer service: Steve was VERY helpful and knowledgable.

4) Proxenon's website has spelling & grammer errors and doesn't look like it was updaed in a looong time. Maybe this is unfair, and maybe een inaccurate, but IMO if a business can't spell then I really start to wonder......

I voiced my concern about having only one relay, to which he states one can certainly use two, adding that they are now considering a dual relay harness---but not for the reasons we would think. He is quite confident in the single relay set up, but says that many newer cars, like MB, will trigger a "light out" warning if there is no load attached to both light connectors.

As for proxenon, I liked their products, but was put off by the many spelling/grammer errors in their websites-almost like Japanese stereo instructions.

Bottom line: I'm going with the XD setup.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Old 01-17-06, 09:28 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely use a relay. I've added driving lights to every car I've had going back to an Fiat in the mid 70's. Started with Hella's, then switched to PIAA's around 1990. I always used a relay and took power directly from the battery. Never had a single problem.

On a 98 Explorer I added PIAA 959's but also replaced the high beams with 90 watt bulbs. Both wiring harnesses burned up within 10 months. I had done the exact same set-up on 3 previous Explorers with no problems, but by 1998, Ford was cutting corners in hidden places, like smaller diameter wire.

I think 1 relay is fine, no relay and you're asking for trouble.

I aslo woodint deel wiff a bizzness that hass a lot of grammere probelems.
Too much of a reflection of the management.

my 02¢

Rick