GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brakes problem - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 02:28 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Where any of us commentators there ???

Originally Posted by GXPrado
sorry but replacing rotors every 50K is insane. Brake pads you can replace every 30-50K-depending on your driving style YMMV.

Rotors need turning if they are warped and vibrating on braking or they are worn/turned beyond factory spec.

If the rear pads were worn and ground into your rotor, then yes you need to get new rotors. Usually the wear indicators would squeal and tell you the pads need changing before that happens...

I wish I could get $325 for replacing brake pads!
It's all part of the ownership game ... maintenance costs

Not that any of us really know the condition of this guys brakes. But, turning the rotors at pad changes seem to be pretty standard practice now. Not that I agree with this practice, since it changes the tempered surface of the rotor when they are turned.
But, you can't assume that the rear pads did not cut the surface of the rotors, that is possible under certain conditions (not expected, but possible). I would agree with most here though. I would want to see the rotors if I was suspicous. And by law, they have to show you and give the old parts to you after the service, if you desire.

BTW, when the job was rejected by, 177mph, at the dealer, did they ask you to sign a waiver for release. Since, they would be liable if you had a brake failure after leaving their shop. If they didn't, perhaps the rear brakes were not as messed up as they made you think they were.
Old 02-22-06, 03:56 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just TODAY had the GX at the dealers for vibrating pedal when stopping. My 03 only has 33000 miles (wife's toy), anyways warped rotors. Thankfully, they were fixed under warranty. I mentioned that seemed like awful low miles to replace rotors, advisor stated "see it all the time with these"
Old 02-22-06, 04:55 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Question Which rotors where they?

Originally Posted by lexusdr
Just TODAY had the GX at the dealers for vibrating pedal when stopping. My 03 only has 33000 miles (wife's toy), anyways warped rotors. Thankfully, they were fixed under warranty. I mentioned that seemed like awful low miles to replace rotors, advisor stated "see it all the time with these"
Do you know which set of rotors was the problem, Front or Back? Just curiuos ...
Old 02-22-06, 07:31 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Originally Posted by ADVocate
Do you know which set of rotors was the problem, Front or Back? Just curiuos ...
It was the back.
Old 02-23-06, 10:18 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Exclamation Possible Parking brake applied ...

Originally Posted by lexusdr
It was the back.

I had a similar situation. But, I think the problem was caused by my own actions (or "inaction" actually). I remember driving a short (but long enough) distance with the parking brake applied and the pulsing brakes were noticed soon afterwards. I don't think the Lexus rotors are very tolerant to being over-heated. I thought they warped far to easily. Perhaps, someone (maybe a parking attendant) drove the truck with the parking brake on and caused the warped rotors. The warp could have been so bad as to destroy them beyond simply putting them on a milling machine could correct. After all, the brake services can only shave off a certain amount before they are rejected. Just some thoughts ......
Old 02-27-06, 09:56 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default Update On Rear Brakes

Thanks for all the opinions. I took the truck in to a local shop for a second opinion. They looked at the rear brakes and said that they DID NOT need to be replaced. They didnt even need new pads. The guy said he thought they had another 20k of life left on them. So - this dealer (who did not ask me to sign a waiver - as someone mentioned) was going to charge me upwards of 600 dollars for unneccesary work. Unbelieveable. Thank God I didnt get the work done!!

I have to agree with the poster who was suprized at anyone having to replace rotors at 50k. Rotors are not considered a wear item UNLESS you dont change the pads and the pads cut into them OR you do many high speed stops - thereby warping the rotor. In that case - you should be able to cut them and they should be fine. I dont see how it's normal to have to replace rotors. Maybe on a cheapo GM product.

Let the buyer beware!!!!