GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brakes problem - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 08:17 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes problem - opinions?

Brought my 03 into the stealer for a 50k checkup. I asked them to check the brakes since they hadnt been replaced yet and I was concerned (no squealing yet - but the miles are high for a set of pads). I had another dealer check them at 40k - they said all was well.

I get a phone call from the stealer - he wants 325 to replace the front pads and resurface the rotors. Then he wants 675 to replace the rear rotors and pads since he says they cant "cut" them because they are too worn. I told him to do the front and leave the rears - I'll get another opinion.

Crap! I could have done the front pads myself for under $100 - and I find it hard to believe that the rears are that bad that they cant be resurfaced. I'm bringing the truck to a local garage on Saturday to see their opinion.

I'll let you all know the outcome....
Old 02-10-06, 11:22 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Originally Posted by 177mph
Brought my 03 into the stealer for a 50k checkup. I asked them to check the brakes since they hadnt been replaced yet and I was concerned (no squealing yet - but the miles are high for a set of pads). I had another dealer check them at 40k - they said all was well.

I get a phone call from the stealer - he wants 325 to replace the front pads and resurface the rotors. Then he wants 675 to replace the rear rotors and pads since he says they cant "cut" them because they are too worn. I told him to do the front and leave the rears - I'll get another opinion.

Crap! I could have done the front pads myself for under $100 - and I find it hard to believe that the rears are that bad that they cant be resurfaced. I'm bringing the truck to a local garage on Saturday to see their opinion.

Would they not be covered under warranty?
Old 02-10-06, 01:36 PM
177mph
Pole Position

I beleive my truck is out of warrantee....
Old 02-13-06, 07:39 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Angry

Wow - no opinions from anyone? Has anyone else had to replace their rotors at 50K???
Old 02-13-06, 08:19 PM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

My dealer replace front and back rotors at 43K.
Old 02-14-06, 10:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I replaced front and back rotor and pad on a Toyota Supra at 50K miles, cost $1200 12 years ago.
Old 02-14-06, 10:12 AM
flyfishman
Driver

seems to me you could press them to cover the rotors especially if its documented that you had them checked at 40K by an authorized dealer.
Old 02-14-06, 10:15 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Brakes are not a warranty item ....

I had my brakes replaced at 35K. The problem was warped rotors on the rear. They replaced all of the brakes pads in finding the problem. I did contact a couple of dealerships prior to having the service done. Here in Southern California, the cost was pretty close between the dealers about $300 for pads for either the front or back set and turning the rotors. If I wanted to REPLACE the rotors, it would be an additional $80-$100 per set. I do not find the brakes on the GX to be a great design. They work, but the feel mushy compared to other manufacturers. And that was the case even when the truck was new. It would be great if the dealers would install Brembo rotors and calipers, but as in typical fashion .... Lexus likes to keep it conservative in modifications. Which roughly translates into, they don't do anything to refine their cars beyond what the manufacturer intended. Period .....
Old 02-14-06, 10:19 AM
177mph
Pole Position

seems like a few folks have had to replace rotors as well. Very interesting! At 50k - thats a bad problem. Is it a dealer issue ($$$$) or a design issue??
Old 02-14-06, 02:49 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Not that uncommon ....

seems like a few folks have had to replace rotors as well. Very interesting! At 50k - thats a bad problem. Is it a dealer issue ($$$$) or a design issue??
Having the rotors replaced at 50K would not be totally unexpected. I was surpised the he even got 5oK out of the original set. After all, we are talking about a truck weighing almost 5,000lbs. This is not as easy as stopping a Volvo or Honda. You have to expect something to wear with all of that energy being absorbed.
Old 02-15-06, 06:28 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

I've only got 2300 miles on my GX but would be surprised to get 50k miles on the rotors. My previous VW Touareg needed rotors at 35k and they were Brembos. The brakes were so crappy on my 3 previous Explorers that I put on slotted rotors within a few weeks of purchase and always needed to replace them by 40k miles. Then again, Atlanta is a fast driving town with a lot of traffic and a lot of slamming on the brakes.

Rick
Old 02-15-06, 03:37 PM
GXPrado
Driver

sorry but replacing rotors every 50K is insane. Brake pads you can replace every 30-50K-depending on your driving style YMMV.

Rotors need turning if they are warped and vibrating on braking or they are worn/turned beyond factory spec.

If the rear pads were worn and ground into your rotor, then yes you need to get new rotors. Usually the wear indicators would squeal and tell you the pads need changing before that happens...

I wish I could get $325 for replacing brake pads!
Old 02-15-06, 04:44 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It really depends on the type of driving you do, city or highway. Rather if you push your car hard or not and whats your braking habits. Come to think of it, I replace the front pad and rotor on my Jeep GC at 40K miles. Good thing it was a American car, it only cost like $250. That was the only good thing about that car.
Old 02-15-06, 05:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Ask him to show you where any burn marks on the rotors are.
Old 02-15-06, 11:45 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Unless you are really hard on the brakes I think this dealer is taking you for a ride. The brakes on these vehicles are really solid and should last quite some time. My GX is still too new to tell, but the 03 4R I have still had pads that had at least 60% life left on the front at 30k miles rear was more like 80%. And I'm pretty hard on the brakes.

Seriously make sure you get your old parts back to see for yourself what the condition were.

Quick Reply: Brakes problem - opinions?