GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Nav/RAZR V3/Axim v50v and Bluetooth?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 11:46 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 Nav/RAZR V3/Axim v50v and Bluetooth?!?

I need help in trying resolve my Bluetooth cell phone/PDA/Nav system combination. I would like to develop a solution where I can select a contact in my PDA, have the PDA send the contact phone number to the cell phone, and finally be able to use the Nav phone system to converse with the other party. Using the car 1 touch dial will not work, as I have up to 300 contacts that I may need to access (only 18 available on Lexus).

I’ve paired my GX470 Nav system to my Cingular Motorola V3 phone which allows me to dial and receive calls via Bluetooth. I’ve also paired my Dell Axim X50v PDA to my V3 and can dial via Bluetooth from the PDA to the V3. However, when I try to dial by Bluetooth from the PDA to the cell phone while in the car, the PDA Bluetooth does not connect to the cell phone, because my cell phone can only pair with one device at a time (the Lexus).

One possible solution is that I may be able to connect several Bluetooth devices with a cell phone that will accept this. The Nokia 6682 may be able to do this, but I am not sure.

Another solution is that I get a Smartphone where I can select the contact to dial.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem???
Old 02-23-06, 09:44 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RTan,

"...solve this problem..." = Having your cake and eating it too...

First, this is neither a problem with Lexus NOR Sony (Motorola), it is a problem with BLUETOOTH itself...

Fact:
Your phone can only have ONE bluetooth connection at a time
If you connect a 2nd BT device the 1st one will DISCONNECT or it's simply unavailable

I have the same setup you do, and I can perform any ONE of the following:

1. Listen and Talk using Sony HBH-662 BT headset and my Sony S710a
2. Listen and Talk using the GX470 speakerphone and my Sony S710a
3. Using my Dell Axim X51V (VGA - Pocket PC WM5) to Dial out via my Contacts list
4. Send phone book info from Sony S710a to Lexus GX470

Note, that the Bluetooth is a single TWO way connection, you cannot use MULTIPLE devices at the same time.

So, I can use the DELL Axim to DIAL out my telephone numbers but I CANNOT use the BT headset at the same time, I have to use the phone itself, or plug-in WIRED headphones.

or If my BT headset is on and paired with my phone, when I go into the GX470 and start her up, the GX470 will fail a connection to the phone because it's unavailable. However, the MOMENT I turn off the headset, the GX470 then picks up the bluetooth connection and I can use the GX470 to make and receive phone calls now...

Hope this clears things up a bit for you...

-Alex

BTW - I happen to dislike this setup as well but this is how BT was implemented... *sigh*
Old 02-23-06, 10:18 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Lonewolf,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that BT was the problem.

I noticed that Nokia 6682 phone claims to be capable of multiple BT connections...

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6682/...feat:1,00.html

I am curious if it will allow connection with the pda and GX470.
Old 02-24-06, 12:50 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rtanouye
Lonewolf,
I noticed that Nokia 6682 phone claims to be capable of multiple BT connections...
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6682/...feat:1,00.html
Where does it say multiple SIMULTANEOUS connections? I looked at online manual, at online specs, online FAQ. Didn't see it.

Most any BT device will support at least 7 connections, but only 1 at a time.
Old 02-24-06, 02:26 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

Get rid of the pda and cell phone and get the Cingular 8125 (Wizard) or any of it's HTC cousins if you aren't with Cingular.
Old 02-24-06, 02:53 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good phones to consider if youre looking for a new phone:

sony ericsson p990
nokia 9300i
nokia 9500
htc wizard or any one of its cousins.

as far as bluetooth features and compatibility, stick with a nokia or a sony ericsson
Old 02-24-06, 03:52 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Default Simultaneous BT connections

Loflin,
Check the link I provided. Under "Connectivity" it reads:

'Connect to up to 5 devices simultaneously via Bluetooth wireless technology, version 1.2 (22)

(22) The Nokia 6682 phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 1.1, Basic Imaging, Handsfree, Dial-up Networking, Object Push Data, Generic Access, Generic Object Exchange, File Transfer, Fax, Headset, and Serial Port profiles. To ensure compatibility with other Bluetooth devices, check with the device manufacturer. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.'

I don't know if this will solve my problem.
Old 03-02-06, 01:37 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rtanouye
Loflin,
Check the link I provided. Under "Connectivity" it reads:

'Connect to up to 5 devices simultaneously via Bluetooth wireless technology, version 1.2 (22)

(22) The Nokia 6682 phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 1.1, Basic Imaging, Handsfree, Dial-up Networking, Object Push Data, Generic Access, Generic Object Exchange, File Transfer, Fax, Headset, and Serial Port profiles. To ensure compatibility with other Bluetooth devices, check with the device manufacturer. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.'

I don't know if this will solve my problem.
Ahhh, I missed that, but I still think that is "marketing speak" and by simultaneous they meant you can define 5 different devices as authorized pairings. Which, of course, is not an appropriate use of the term "simultaneous" at all

Perhaps not.

But the manual does say this on pg. 80:

Send data

There can be only one active Bluetooth connection at a time.