GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Whoah! 4-Runner Identity Crisis at IIHS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 06:16 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whoah! 4-Runner Identity Crisis at IIHS

I can accept the fact that the GX-470 and the 4-Runner are very similar vehicles.
AND, I understand that they use the same platform and that they come from the same parent company. *Nods*

BUT, these are two entirely different vehicles. They are made differently, they have different weights, and are two entirely different animals when it comes to accidents (educated assumption).

The International Institute for Highway Safety seems to disagree though because they use the ratings for the 4-Runner for the GX 470!

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=217

Originally Posted by IIHS
Toyota 4Runner
2003-06 models

results also apply to: 2003-06 Lexus GX 470
Not that I'm dissatisfied with the results because the 4-Runner did score the highest possible rating in all frontal crash measurements.

I just think that the IIHS might have been a little too cheap when it comes to this. Sure $50,000 is not pocket change, especially to waste a brand new car. But really! Those insurance companies make more money than they can count.

That would be almost as bad as if they tested the Ford Explorer and compared it to a Land Rover Range Rover because Ford now owns Land Rover (and also like Mustang/Aston Martin Vanquish) ( and even more like comparing a Nissan Pathfinder to an Infiniti QX45)....

Heh. Anyway, Thought I would share my feelings on this.
Old 03-07-06, 02:55 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that we share the same frame, powertrain, and safety copmponents (impact wise) I see no reason to test both vehicles for this test. I have always assumed that the primary difference between the two vehicles is body panels and interior treatments/electronics.

That being said, I would agree that both vehicles should be tested if the air bag configuration, crumple zones, or some other pertinent frontal crash piece is substantially different. In this case the Toyota was a V6 model, as the GX470 is only a V8 vehicle I would prefer to see a V8 version tested as I am sure that the dimension, way they are affix, and possible passenger compartment intrusion areas may be slightly different.

My wife drives a Nissan Armada, and if they choose to wreck an Infinity QX56 instead I would be fine with it. They are virtually the same vehicle.

I am sure that the insurance company institute doesn't pay for these vehicles out of their "profits" but instead include them as an expense that gets passed onto their customers. A little considerate spending on their part likely helps us some.
Old 03-09-06, 04:06 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Thumbs up Don't be frustrated..... better to simply put in perspective!

Originally Posted by yaro1
I can accept the fact that the GX-470 and the 4-Runner are very similar vehicles.
AND, I understand that they use the same platform and that they come from the same parent company. *Nods*

I just think that the IIHS might have been a little too cheap when it comes to this. Sure $50,000 is not pocket change, especially to waste a brand new car. But really! Those insurance companies make more money than they can count.

I don't think I would be to harsh on the IIHS, a decision was probably made to cover as many vehicles as they can. After all, if IIHS was going to crush the test cars beyond redemption, and the basic results would be the same. Why not. It would probably perform better in the case of the GX and its' additional air bags. Perhaps, the parties involved, thought they would not want to throw more money at something they felt was unneeded.

Besides, what made you buy the Lexus? You probably had the feeling that Toyota was one of the most reliable manufacturers around. And you wanted to go upscale. Personally, I bought the GX, because it had a far better ride and aesthetic over something like the 4Runner. I am allowed to have a choice here right .... It was not a difficult decision for me to make. I wanted the more elegant vehicle. I know there are Toyota lurkers who prance around here, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine which is the more elegant vehicle. So, you can rest assured that your money went to something you enjoy, and that they used a cheaper vehicle to do the testing with. It's all UP statistics from that point.....
Old 03-10-06, 06:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 4runner they tested has the optional side airbags and front and rear head curtain airbags.
Old 03-10-06, 08:25 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool I guess you know how your GX would fare than .....

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 4runner they tested has the optional side airbags and front and rear head curtain airbags.
If it had the side air bags, I guess you know how your truck would result from the same test. As you stated ... the "optional" 4Runner airbags. The rest is academic ....
Old 03-12-06, 08:24 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

The whole thing comes down to an issue of resources and economics.

If you look at the Feb sales figures referred to at the home page for CL, the 4Runner sold over 8,000 units. The GX sales were under 2000 units (2006 is down 25% over 2005 so far, but that is another discussion). The total GX sales have been a fraction of 4Runner sales over the years. Instead of testing what is essentially a boutique vehicle, they test the high volume one and point you to the closest one.

Even within models there are big differences (optional airbags and safety features, KDSS, engine size, transmission, etc.) and they can't test every variable. The 4Runner, which is on the same base and even occasionaly shares the V-8, is the closest high volume vehicle to the GX.