GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

IPOD options

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 09:07 PM
Robot78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD options

Hey everyone,

I have an incoming 06 GX with Nav/Mark Levinson stereo.

What are good options for the GX for IPOD connectivity. AFAIK, there is not an aux input; and the CD changer does not read mp3 discs does it?

I've used a simple FM transmitter in another car and was very unimpressed with the quality. I've heard of Dension Icelink, but they did not list it as being compatible with the GX on their website.

Sure I can survive with the 6 disc CD changer, but IPOD connectivity would be very nice.
Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-06, 09:21 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to confirm for you, there is no aux input and six CD changer does not play MP3 discs - this was a big negative for me when I bought the vehicle. (The CD changer is inconveniently in the glove box, and it is a pain to change CDs also. The 07 GX should have the improved next generation setup).

There is a cassette tape deck in the system, so you might try that type of converter - not an elegant or great sounding solution either.
Old 04-10-06, 08:33 AM
batmobl
Rookie

[QUOTE=Robot78]Hey everyone,

What are good options for the GX for IPOD connectivity. AFAIK, there is not an aux input; and the CD changer does not read mp3 discs does it?

I've used a simple FM transmitter in another car and was very unimpressed with the quality. I've heard of Dension Icelink, but they did not list it as being compatible with the GX on their website.

Sure I can survive with the 6 disc CD changer, but IPOD connectivity would be very nice.
Any suggestions?[/QUOTE

The cassette adapted has been decent for me.
Old 04-10-06, 09:02 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robot78
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
I bought the XM radio install that runs through the NAV system. It has an extra AUX port that is designed for an IPOD. A wire can be run into the glove box (or anywhere really) to plug into it.
CV
Old 04-10-06, 11:59 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverLady
(The CD changer is inconveniently in the glove box, and it is a pain to change CDs also. The 07 GX should have the improved next generation setup).
SilverLady, if you have RSES, then the simplest way to play a single CD is to drop it in the DVD player by your right elbow. Instead of messing with the changer in the glovebox.
Old 04-10-06, 07:17 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

The easiest way would be to get Vaistech's Sondlinq:

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

There are several other similar controllers out there that most people on the forum don't know about, I have to look for the links but the above is the most commonly installed, least problematic and least pricy.... of course you can get an IS350 which has it builtin

thanks

Originally Posted by Robot78
Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-06, 08:08 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Had vaistech installed

Just had the Vaistech installed with Sirius and my iPod. It wasn't cheap but both work perfectly and seamlessly. Much better IMO than the cassette adapter.

Vaistech unit = $200? Installation at dealer = $300. Being able to see the songs/playlists etc from the iPod on the Navi screen = priceless!
Old 04-13-06, 08:59 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
SilverLady, if you have RSES, then the simplest way to play a single CD is to drop it in the DVD player by your right elbow. Instead of messing with the changer in the glovebox.
Thanks, but I don't have the RSES. The best sound seems to come from making audio mixes off my mp3s - I can get 18 or 19 normal length songs on one disk, and the sound was actually very good.