GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Watching Movies on DVD Navigation without RSES

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 03:31 PM
MickeyM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watching Movies on DVD Navigation without RSES

Does anyone know if you can mod your DVD Navigation unit to play DVD movies without having a rear DVD entertainment device? Is it possible? I have seen the thread by Mogulbumm and it sounds good, but I believe that mod is only if you already have the rear DVD entertainement system.
Old 05-06-06, 04:25 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MickeyM
Does anyone know if you can mod your DVD Navigation unit to play DVD movies without having a rear DVD entertainment device? Is it possible? I have seen the thread by Mogulbumm and it sounds good, but I believe that mod is only if you already have the rear DVD entertainement system.
Its easily Possible.. few things you need.

1. Video interface from sound gate or lot of other companies like Navtv.. ask specifically for your car GX 470 model year is important as well.
2. Sound Interface from sound gate (model is called AUXLEX) if you want factory system to play the sound... it can also be done through FM modulator (usually Comes with the DVD Player or Video Booster as well) but the sound quality sucks.. so i would recomment Wired interface like the AUXLEX from sound gate.
3. DVD player stand alone.. or you can buy a flip down with built in dvd and wireless FM modulator and Dual IR Headphone out. that way people in the back can watch dvd and u could be listening to cd. ALPINE 10" drop down is good.
4. Video booster - Alpine has a good one too or you can buy clarion..
You can add up to 4 other Screens (headrests if you want).

for just the dvd to play through nav without the flip screen ... your looking at roughly around $1500
considering Sound Gate Video interface (viduniversal its called) alone is around 500 plus sound would bring it to 6-700 ... and if your adding Flipdown total would cost around $2000

I'm getting all this done.. in next few months. I've already installed the back up camera... so now adding another video source won't be too difficult.
Old 05-06-06, 06:23 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nav Movies

Originally Posted by MickeyM

Yes, it can be done, including TV.

I opted not to get the RES, so that I could use the savings and apply to an aftermarket system using Headrest Monitors. The sound from the DVDs and Sirus Radio is connected directly to the car's system.

~ Cap
Old 05-07-06, 12:05 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Yes, it can be done, including TV.

I opted not to get the RES, so that I could use the savings and apply to an aftermarket system using Headrest Monitors. The sound from the DVDs and Sirus Radio is connected directly to the car's system.

~ Cap

But i hope you guys know.. watching movies in nav screen is iligal while the car is in motion. so i advice you guys to put it on ur park lever.. or you can put a seperate button to activate it. If your installer is good he can even put it in a way that if you click info or dest button 3 or 4 times the movie will come on ur front screen.
Old 10-22-08, 12:40 PM
psbandla
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have a 2006 GX470 with RSES. Is there any way I can connect my ipod to the audio input jacks of the RSES and hear the sound through the main cabin speakers.
Thanks on advance

-Pradeep